mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #381 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Grainger says it pulls 2.9A, so 115/2.9 gets me 39.7. That's in the ballpark of 50, but not 50k. Read up a lot last night and have more to do tonight since I actually want to understand this more and found some good resources.

Vail, AZ or another state?

Neftaly: it's not connected directly, but I don't understand the circuitry in the box. Why 50k and what is the wattage rating have to do with things? The 50k at Radio Shack and other places are all rated at .5W. This motor runs at ~350 watts...
Arizona, moved into town not too long ago. Neftaly hit in on the head however, not very familiar with the machinery side of things, mostly electronics. Sorry for any misinformation, saw the thread and popped my head in.
uniwersel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #382 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Hey everybody, weddin is in the rearview so now I can start saving for some machines let the stupid questions commence..... So first I want to get a manual lathe. Just to pick your brains here I'll start by saying I want to be able to do barrel boring for myself and freinds, bolts possibly (Plastic and aluminum will be mostly what this thing will see), and threading. In my current situation I cannot see 220v but in the hopefully nearish future after I get a house I am building a shop with 220 so is there something I can get for now then swap out or will 115 be good enough for what I want to do? I would also like to dabble in stainless and mild steel but not necessary. Second bout of silly questions, what is the advantage of 3 phase and what is it for (its always confused me :s )? and third question is a collet system worthwhile to me or should just a 3 jaw chuck suffice?

thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #383 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniwersel View Post
Arizona, moved into town not too long ago. Neftaly hit in on the head however, not very familiar with the machinery side of things, mostly electronics. Sorry for any misinformation, saw the thread and popped my head in.
Nice. When it cools off a little I'll drag you to the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadian View Post
Hey everybody, weddin is in the rearview so now I can start saving for some machines let the stupid questions commence..... So first I want to get a manual lathe. Just to pick your brains here I'll start by saying I want to be able to do barrel boring for myself and freinds, bolts possibly (Plastic and aluminum will be mostly what this thing will see), and threading. In my current situation I cannot see 220v but in the hopefully nearish future after I get a house I am building a shop with 220 so is there something I can get for now then swap out or will 115 be good enough for what I want to do? I would also like to dabble in stainless and mild steel but not necessary. Second bout of silly questions, what is the advantage of 3 phase and what is it for (its always confused me :s )? and third question is a collet system worthwhile to me or should just a 3 jaw chuck suffice?

thanks in advance
I have seen some setups that can run both 110/220 and picked up on a few things. At 110, your amps usage will be double. Many 110 machines I have seen are in 20A circuitbreaker blowing range if you turn anything else on.

Check out the spindle bore and make sure it will fit the barrels. If I had to guess, 1" and above would work, but I'd look for something slightly larger than an even 1".

A chuck will be fine. Collets are nice in a quickchange/production setting, but not at a hobby pace.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #384 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Collets are good for boring because it gives you much less runout, which makes it easier to true up the barrel. A 3 jaw probably wouldn't be too popular with barrels because of their runout (at least IMO).

Don't quote me on this but at 220V, you use less electricity (cheaper to run) than 110V, I read that somewhere but never confirmed it.

Benefits to 3 phase, read this I would say to start
What are the advantages of three phase to single phase electric power distribution systems

And to make this post legit...

Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #385 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Nice Lax.

So I have the new pot wired up and for 300* of rotation it does nothing, until the last ~10*. Then it spools right up at max RPM. If I try really hard I can get it to barely turn, but anything more and there she goes. It's a linear pot, just like what the internet suggests, but even a log/audio pot would have a better progression than nothing, nothing, nothing.... GO!

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #386 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
Are you sure it's supposed to be 50k? It sounds like the resistance is too high. That spike at the end is where it's metal-on-metal (0 ohms).
Is there a model number on the controller board or something? Otherwise get someone with a multimeter to test the old pot.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #387 (permalink)
Just Gas It

Those Victors are sweet good snag! I have to stop looking at machinery and focus on my shop there are some deals out there though Cincinnati Milacron Sabre 750 CNC | eBay
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #388 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Are you sure it's supposed to be 50k? It sounds like the resistance is too high. That spike at the end is where it's metal-on-metal (0 ohms).
Is there a model number on the controller board or something? Otherwise get someone with a multimeter to test the old pot.
At the 20k ohms setting it ranged from zero to about 5. That's 100k right? Wouldn't that be even more drastic of a curve based off of what I saw with the 50k.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #389 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
5k... I think. You caught me, I haven't used anything other than autoranging DMMs in years ><
Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #390 (permalink)
Master Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
if its reading 5 at the 20 setting that is 5, not 5 X 20. the setting is for 0-20.

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB