mcarterbrown.com

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #391 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Put a 5k pot on there and same result. The 'board' isn't much, and nothing looks fried. I was doing more than this little lathe was meant for and noticed the motor smoking the last time I used it. If it still goes, could that play into anything? I opened up the motor and nothing is roasted, but there are no components to have burned up, just copper.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #392 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
Weird. Is there a model number or anything on the board?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #393 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Nope. The back side has metal paths on the board and then the solder. Top side looks like this:

I think the smoke was grease, since there was a shimmer to several surfaces in the motor. Hopefully turned it off in time.

EDIT: Reading this: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Ref...leshooting.pdf.

The body of the MOSFET says S4008L and H5, Don't know what the H5 is. S4008L seems to be pointing to 8A 400V, not sure what the S and L are for. Having a tough time finding a part number breakdown like they do with milspec hardware. Radio Shack's site doesn't say they have anything in stores and nothing matches the 8A 400V anyway. Going to see what they have in stores tomorrow, you never know right? Can't think of any other store types that might have things in stock to pick from.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 08-17-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #394 (permalink)
12 Gram Miser

Brass N Wood Fan
Smoke is often stuff like the enamel on the wires burning off (as well as any grease). Really bad for the motor though it won't burn out instantly.

Transistors are usually the most delicate part and would be the first to go, so the MOSFET is a likely bet (resistors including the pot are very hardy). Is there any bulging or leakage on the blue electrolytic capacitor? Has the greencap been punctured or dented?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #395 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I have a new MOSFET on the way. Struck out on a good match at Radio Shack. I will check on those components when I am home, but several sources blame a runaway motor on a bad MOSFET.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #396 (permalink)
dream < live

Van Norman #10 milling machine Thinking of getting this 1920'S mill he better be pretty flexible on the price though. It's no cnc but its better than what I have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van norman #10.jpg (25.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #397 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Interesting layout. What's the wheel to the right of the Y-travel wheel do?

Quote:
Feedback
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #398 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I can't say I've ever seen one like that before, whats the runout like on a machine that old? And I like how they have the head tilt worked out, I've hear horror storie of machinists on the big knee mills when they tilt there head to an extreme angle and are finishing a cut and the table is all the way the to the same side as the head the whole machine flips over
Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #399 (permalink)
dream < live

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/5985.pdf Has the best info I have found. I don't know what the condition is like I still have to go look at it. That extra wheel is a rapid x return. Its got a 20" power feed x axis 6"y and 16"z no quill all knee movement There supposed to be able to take big cuts and be more rigid than a Bridgeport. On the down side spindle speed is designed for 500 rpm max. There is no motor on it so maybe I can figure out how to make it run a bit faster but that could require a different spindle all together.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #400 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

500rpm is crazy slow for small tools, and still a little low for bigger stuff. I bet you could adjust the range with custom gears/pulleys, but I'd question why. It's a neat machine, but the speed range is a pretty big turnoff IMO.

Quote:
Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB