mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #491 (permalink)
Post Whore

how much material were you reaming out?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #492 (permalink)
MCB Member

. 013 r on the first
. 016 r on the second
That setup works great on AL and SS.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #493 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Tjd you ream twice to size when you freak bore?
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #494 (permalink)
Post Whore

That seems too aggressive of a cut for hss compared to how I've done it at my last shop.
Usually .005-.008. And I never reamed anything bigger then 5/16.
We'd bore it out right on the money smooth as a babies ***. 32 micro finish or better. Usually 6-12micro.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #495 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpro69 View Post
Tjd you ream twice to size when you freak bore?
Yes according the the machinery handbook I am running on the harry edge of too much chip load.

witch brings me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangus999 View Post
That seems too aggressive of a cut for hss compared to how I've done it at my last shop.
Usually .005-.008. And I never reamed anything bigger then 5/16.
We'd bore it out right on the money smooth as a babies ***. 32 micro finish or better. Usually 6-12micro.
Yes I would agree but due to my setup I cant use a boring bar to get it close since the end is only supported by the steady rest. I think their would be too much tool pressure and either the part would push away from the tool or vice versa. I suppose I could have tried a couple more steps but their is no way I would have been able to do it cost effectively for 1 part. If I was going to do thousands of them I would get custom soft jaws and a thru tool coolant boring bar, make a couple passes to get within .005 then use a thru coolant reamer similar to the ones ph horn sells. but for 1 part just get some cheep tools and burn em' up.

At the end of the day though I was quite happy with the finish I dont think I was 6-12Ra but if I had to guess I bet I was at 15-20Ra.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #496 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Update. Except for the apron, if you don't see it, it is soaking. Soaking the apron tonight after I get some room in a bucket.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #497 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Damn that is looking great!

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #498 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Thanks Ty.

It's not going crazy fast, but it's not stalling either. An hour or two (or three) a day is keeping things rolling. You see the shine to the left of the carriage on the front way? Yeah, notice how it doesn't shine on the left or right side? That's because I haven't gotten there yet.

The 4 chucks and 1 rod were a little bit of a chore to get out of the turret, but after soaking for a day I did the first cleaning last night. One chuck is still stuck (it's a keyless one so it's a little hard to grab something without mangling it) but they are all cleaning up nicely. Second wash and then a rinse is tonight for those.

If you've ever done KP in Scouts, that's how I'm having to clean stuff. First is the heavy scrub, second is the soapy water to take the last film off, third is a quick dunk into the rinse water and then off to dry.

Kitchen gloves are a better choice compared to the disposable shop gloves I started with.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #499 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Got the turret split in half (top and bottom) last night. There's really not a lot going on inside of that thing. What was inside of it, and I have no idea how it all got there, was a boatload of brass chips. The fluids they used served as a nice binding agent, so everything was stuf to everything else. It's not soaking right now, the apron is, but I have a big container that I could use to get things started on the turret tonight.

I was concerned that the turret would be really complicated and I'd have a lot to break down, clean up, and put back together. That's not the case, so I'm pretty happy that it doesn't seen like an overly busy portion.

Also painted the spindle cover last night. Well, the outside of it. Will flip it and do the inside today.

After that, will start taking apart the apron and maybe do it's first cleaning. I might be taking pictures for this one since the manual doesn't have an exploded view of how everything goes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the selector for the high/neutral/lock/low has been soaking for a few days now too. Looking forward to digging into that, hopefully tonight. It was really messy, but after the fist day of soaking I did a quick brushing and even that made a pretty big difference.

Quote:
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 10-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #500 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Guess which side I started on...

Quote:
Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB