mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #521 (permalink)
I like Spyders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Beautiful work.

I did something new today... I freak bored a carbon fiber barrel. It turns out the carbon expands radially as it is being bored, so I had to use a slightly larger than normal reamer. Beyond that it was a wonderful material to work. Obviously heat and dust were potential issues, but water worked well for both problems.

Ty
Are you going to do a thin coat of resin on the machined surface to discourage fraying or is it set well enough that you don't anticipate having any issues? If so I wonder how overboring, resin coating, and then finish boring the resin would turn out.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #522 (permalink)
MCB Member

Bored with boring bar
Or reamer?
I'm curious. What did flex to get correct size?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #523 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Based on this off brand of barrel and the fact that there was not any fiber sticking out, I decided not to seal the bore. I suppose I could put a coat of polyurethane on it. I don't plan to through all that work, but if you wish to test it out, please feel free to post up the results.

I used a reamer. First pass was with my usual .744 reamer. Then I used a .750 twist drill by hand.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #524 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

There were 3 things I had to do on the lathe, aside from running power. First, the variable speed cable was off its pullies, it's on now. The turret wasn't letting go, so I couldn't rotate it. There was a spring loaded tab that needed a little oil. Had to take it apart a little, but it's working great now. Finally, had to unbolt the motor so I could clean the plate off to read the power info. Check.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #525 (permalink)
I am paintball in Montana

What the heck is this?

So I picked this up about a week ago and can't find a single thing online about it. Has anyone ever seen a mill like this? Theres no tags on it, no markings of any sort except the word "HAWAI" cast into the side. I did find a tag hanging on the side of the motor inside that has Chinese or Japanese symbols on it but they were written in pencil I'm guessing like 50? years ago. Any ideas, thoughts? I'll get better pics once its all cleaned up.

my feedback
mrspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #526 (permalink)
MCB Member

So I started looking at new machine tools today. While the tools I have are serving me well I feel if I want to really make some cool stuff in any quantity I am going to have to go full CNC. I'm not talking about a Mach3 conversion either I am looking at Hurco machines. I am not set on a model yet but I think the moon would be a TMX8MYi that would let me feed it bar stock and spit out finished parts without any involvement by me. Odds are though I'll be looking at something more along the lines of a TM6i I think that would get me about 70% with the first setup then then to about 95% with the second setup then just the hex for the last 5%

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #527 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Sounds expensive

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #528 (permalink)
MCB Member

live tooling?..... you suck.
but in this world....go big or go home.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #529 (permalink)
Ballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeeddemon View Post
So I picked this up about a week ago and can't find a single thing online about it. Has anyone ever seen a mill like this? Theres no tags on it, no markings of any sort except the word "HAWAI" cast into the side. I did find a tag hanging on the side of the motor inside that has Chinese or Japanese symbols on it but they were written in pencil I'm guessing like 50? years ago. Any ideas, thoughts? I'll get better pics once its all cleaned up.
We had one very similar to this in the shop I worked at growing up. It was a beast and chewed through belts, but good luck finding any other replacement parts. It died after many years of use when the circuitry decided to stop working. If I remember right someone ended up buying it at scrap price and retrofitting new (used) electrical components.
Jmorell818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #530 (permalink)
gotlvnvtosgi

After 6 years of searching It Happened... I found a CNC (yup its broke) Just needs a circuit board and a coolant pump. It's a 1982 Matsuura mc-500v Mini Master. It came with a full enclosure and he said he'd bring me 30 tool holders and the manuals. The condition seems awesome for a 30yr old machine and all copper transformers is kind of a plus. The best part besides the $1500 price was the fact it was so close. I rented a forklift drove it to the guys house then forked it the 4 miles back to my house. (as farm equipment?) Now I just need some parts and a RPC 15-20hp should do the trick. It looks small in the pic but thats about 6500lbs or so of iron. Hea LaxPro You ever figure out your RPC situation? HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(11) #2.JPG (64.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by arjames; 12-31-2013 at 03:10 AM.
arjames is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB

« KP work | - »