mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #671 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Did get the other plate, but I didn't even get to look at it . My dad had it unloaded by the time I got back from returning the trailer, and who knows where it is buried now. I think the current one in use is their "heavy-duty" plate, and the one in the box is standard duty, but I will be figuring all that out... Eventually.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #672 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Nice Tormach I picked one of those up a few months ago. Looks like a clean series I or II doesnt look like it has the power drawbar installed does it?

The power drawbar with their tooling system and the series 3 spindle upgrade with the vfd completely change the 1100s and the load meter that comes with the spindle upgrade is also nice when dealing with a 1.5 hp machine. The newer steppers are a bit quicker but I havent had a problem with my Series II steppers.

Watch out when putting the mill back on the table if your using an engine hoist the hoist wont fit under the table and it needs to be put on blocks before you can swing the mill in, then its usually a headache when trying to install the bolts the way they recommend while trying to get enough height out of the engine hoist.

Also the sheet metal trays takes up a ton of space but chips and coolant still goes everywhere, I needed to get more space in my shop to fit the sheet metal trays onto mine.

Also their oiler doesnt do a fantastic job at getting way oil to the Z axis, I usually pump a little on it every day to get a good film on the ball screw and the ways, the coolant pump is a bit weak as well gets kind of annoying to wait for the coolant to come and it clogs kind of easily but they sell an upgrade one that I am thinking about myself.

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #673 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
As I did the inspection for this machine...

- No power draw bar But he does have the TTS and a bunch of holders.

- It is definitely a Series I

- There is currently no upgrades done to it as far as we can tell, and based on Tormach looking up the serial number they believe the original owner has not purchased any upgrades.

- We were just discussing the engine hoist clearance issue. We think the solution will be to level the base, then mark the floor where the leveling feet are sitting. Then place the base up on blocks to allow the engine hoist clearance. Assemble the machine and base and then lift the entire unit down off the blocks with a long lever or small jack. (Not so sure this is the best solution, but I believe it will work.) Finally, make sure the leveling feet are back in their original positions to obtain the original leveling.

- The coolant pump seems to be shot, so I have recommended getting a higher pressure unit. As you pointed out, the stock unit is kinda meh, and as it is dead, may as well upgrade

- Thank you for the tip regarding the Z axis and the oiler. If laxpro69 doesn't see this, I will remind him once he has a chance to assemble his machine and get it up and running.

- As to the coolant everywhere problem... I think he will likely go with the "shower curtain" solution I have seen a few users employ. It seems to keep most of the mess in the coolant catch tray... most of it

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #674 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Tormach is coming out with an enclosure here soon. No idea on cost...

Finally, a Tormach PCNC 1100 Enclosure Milling Around
Angelballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #675 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelballer View Post
Tormach is coming out with an enclosure here soon. No idea on cost...

Finally, a Tormach PCNC 1100 Enclosure Milling Around
I remember that guys enclosures awhile ago on ebay. I think they were like $1500 before shipping.

The largest problem I seen originally with them was access to cleaning the chips out of the machine because there is no conveyor and the whole front did not open, nor could you get to the button panel on the mill with the doors shut. Im interested in seeing the second gen of it though

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #676 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Thanks for the tip on the oiler, I will have to remember that when I get it together. Putting it on the stand shouldn't be too hard, what's going to take me the longest is getting it cleaned, cleaning the year old coolant out and replacing the coolant pump. I definitely want something bigger, I think I saw someone recommend a 1/8 or 1/4 hp pump, and even with two nozzles that thing poured coolant.

Full enclosure isn't on my priority list, for that price I would just buy a cnc lathe I'm looking at... Ty.

Eventually I'll get a fourth axis, and maybe a matching set of Kurt vises or if I hit the lottery chick vises. As Ty said my solution will probably be shower curtains, at least for the time being. Can just hang them from the rafters I think.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #677 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpro69 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the oiler, I will have to remember that when I get it together. Putting it on the stand shouldn't be too hard, what's going to take me the longest is getting it cleaned, cleaning the year old coolant out and replacing the coolant pump. I definitely want something bigger, I think I saw someone recommend a 1/8 or 1/4 hp pump, and even with two nozzles that thing poured coolant.

Full enclosure isn't on my priority list, for that price I would just buy a cnc lathe I'm looking at... Ty.

Eventually I'll get a fourth axis, and maybe a matching set of Kurt vises or if I hit the lottery chick vises. As Ty said my solution will probably be shower curtains, at least for the time being. Can just hang them from the rafters I think.
coolant is pretty easy to clean up. just rinse it with water. its soluble oil after all.

my mill has 10" tall walls all around the table. i cant turn my coolant on past 10% or so or it will pretty quickly put my tank of coolant all over the floor from spray. i am pretty sure its only 1/4 hp.

nice little mill !
dukie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #678 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

just installed a shiny new mill at work today, it's a little tiny one (haas DT1). 15,000 RPM spindle, 30 taper tooling, 2400 inches per minute rapids, totally stoked to start er up tomorrow

so light you could literally pick it up on a pallet jack if it were the right width (about 5500 lbs)... I moved it across the bay and spun it into position single handedly on skates. lined it up opposing from my VF-2 so I can run two machines constantly all day, right adjacent to the manual mill and hardinge lathe... wicked setup for production and toolmaking/manual work!

Last edited by ApoC_101; 04-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #679 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

New toys are always fun. Even if they are 0nly 5500 pound minnows.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #680 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
just installed a shiny new mill at work today, it's a little tiny one (haas DT1). 15,000 RPM spindle, 30 taper tooling, 2400 inches per minute rapids, totally stoked to start er up tomorrow

so light you could literally pick it up on a pallet jack if it were the right width (about 5500 lbs)... I moved it across the bay and spun it into position single handedly on skates. lined it up opposing from my VF-2 so I can run two machines constantly all day, right adjacent to the manual mill and hardinge lathe... wicked setup for production and toolmaking/manual work!

What kind of HP on those things and how about power requirements? I keep looking around for better machines but everyone wants to sell you 30 Hp monsters but if your just working on PB stuff (aluminum brass plastic) its not necessary.

I keep having the same problem with taking the plunge into a lathe. If you remember a couple pages back I was looking at a large multi axis hurco (one day I will have it) but to get my feet wet its just too much.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB