mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #711 (permalink)
Master Metal Whittler

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
hacksaw. builds big arms. harbor freight sells a horizontal that is quite nice for the price. a friend has one in his shop and said its worth the cost. (under 200)

FEEDBACK
Rednecksniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #712 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

abrasive chop saw good for small bars and tubes, or use a little wheel-around bandsaw for stock up to a certain width (the jaws max out at like, 10 inches or so usually). Could also use a vertical bandsaw, I use one regularly for chopping up multiple parts machined from the same stock, or for chopping smaller bar and plate up quickly (say, two inches or less thick).

200 bucks should score you a wheel-around no problem. I sold mine for that much and it was well used. Vertical bandsaws are usually much more expensive of course, and often require more power than just a 110 plug. abrasive chop saw is cheap but very limited for thickness of material to cut (and very ineffective on aluminum, which will clog the disc up quick). course you can use a toothed blade for decent results.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 04-16-2014 at 11:42 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #713 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
We used to use a chop saw. Worked great on aluminum with a blade with carbide teeth.
Looking forward to getting a bandsaw at some point, but this method has served me well for several years. Made a zero clearance fence out of aluminum angle so I could lop off thin parts without them flying.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 AM   #714 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I finally have the bandsaw but no place to put it... So it sits in my storage unit looking forlorn

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #715 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I got the bandsaw home on Friday. Also got to go to Online Metal Supply and buy some 6061. Will be going back again very soon. Their regular prices aren't that great according to some, but they had several things to look at in a 'sale' bin. I asked the guy what the rate was and he said $1.50/pound. Not bad considering their regular 6061 is $2.49-$2.99 per pound. The sale stuff was a little odd in sizing (2 x 2.25, as opposed to 2 x 2) but I can make it work.

Now to the bandsaw. It worked the last time I was playing with it. This time, the motor himmed, but didn't move the blade. I didn't leave it on in an effort to keep the smoke trapped.

I started taking it apart and with the blade off, the motor still didn't turn, not a bind in the blade.

Took the wheel and belt off, so it was just the gear on the motor shaft. Power on for a second, still no turning.

Hmmm, lets take the motor off. The motor shaft is really hard to turn. Took the back of the housing off, that bearing spins nicely. Broke the front housing cover free. That doesn't want to spin. There is a bearing pressed into that as well. Break that free and sure enough, that bearing is just about locked up.

Had to take off the gear (press fit on the shaft) and the front cover followed easily. Since the back cover is also off, the shaft/motor guts/locked bearing go out the back. The bearing is full of fine sawdust and locked up. The silty dust was all over the innards of the motor and bandsaw. That's been shopvac'd as I go, but the bearing still has grease in it.

WD40 applied and worked through the bearing. Hey, it's turning. Cleaned it out as best I could and then put a decent amount of grease in and worked that through. Put the motor all back together, still spins nicely. This is looking good. Put it back in the bandsaw, powers and spins. Nice.

Ran out of time with the bandsaw last night, need about 5 more minutes on that tonight and the belt/lower large wheel/blade will be back on and we can see if the thin blade likes cutting metal. It's the right TPI, but it isn't as tall as the other blade, so I think it will want to twist out of the way. Cutting might take a while until I can get a taller blade.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #716 (permalink)

Right on!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #717 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

A few projects today. Got to try the bandsaw and it cuts slow, but cuts. It saved me a lot of time with this though.

That is the collet quick change anchor point. The original looks like this:

The new one looks like:

A little more beef and the two mounting bolts are in holes, not a giant slot.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #718 (permalink)

solid!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #719 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

But wait, there's more...

Got a quick change a few days ago. Cut the lower plate today. Yay!

Quote:
Feedback
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #720 (permalink)

Oh dude, hell yea. Dorian/Aloris quickchange rocks for smaller lathes (as opposed to the swiss/multifix for bigger lathes). I use Dorian AXA on my Hardinge and it's perfect

edit: hey you should put that turret to good use! I'm looking to add one to mine down the road for sure.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 05-08-2014 at 11:43 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB