mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #721 (permalink)
Post Whore

the new DT1 has been really kickin ***, continues to impress me (except for the chip augers). Was doing 2.5" wide facing cuts at 9000 RPM, eighty thou depth of cut aluminum at 120 inches per min and the spindle load only went to 50 percent... Good to see, it has more balls than I originally thought! doing tons of work on it including a ten-tool high tolerance job and plenty of chip making... Filled up a 55 gallon drum to the top with aluminum in a week flat. Not bad for a machine with only a two inch facemill (except when I cheat and run 2.5 in single/double tool, because anything over 2.0 will crash the toolchanger)

the table gets busy fast though... even two five-inch vises don't have much room to hop around:

I've loaded two kurt sixes and also confirmed two double-six vises work, though they basically fill up the entire table alongside the 4th axis and probe which I don't move around. through spindle coolant and the high revs already paying off nicely.

unfortunately the chip augers are very flawed in design and tend to wind up around near the dumping end with long chips which then block the normal, nice chips and lead to the ultimate cluster**** jamming situation, resulting in the decision to rip them out entirely:

here's a nice chip jam, it was worse on this side and basically has the consistency of a pile of crunched up beer cans. as in, its compacted back into solid material, basically, and couldn't be removed with the various chip hooks and unjammers we usually employ:

I'll be doing some modifications tomorrow while I get it back into duty, should be a fun Friday
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #722 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Apoc didn't you say a while back you owned a small hardinge? (I was looking through the old comments for fun!)

Did you ever post pictures of it?
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #723 (permalink)
Post Whore

I must have, yea. It's a DV-59
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #724 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Oh dude, hell yea. Dorian/Aloris quickchange rocks for smaller lathes (as opposed to the swiss/multifix for bigger lathes). I use Dorian AXA on my Hardinge and it's perfect

edit: hey you should put that turret to good use! I'm looking to add one to mine down the road for sure.
I am actually (finally) using the turret. I am making center shafts for the loader and have center holes on one end. It's nothing too crazy, but I do have a center drill in one chuck and the drill in the other. I just wish the turret was easier to move in and out of the way. There are two lock plates that get clamped from above with 2 SHCS on each end. If it were more like a tailstock with the quick release that would be better, but I have a way that isn't a problem.

The quick change is awesome. It was on the want list for a long time, but couldn't fit it in the budget. It made the cut recently and has let me do a lot more and much quicker, which is to be expected.

Last item I want is a simple DRO for the carriage. That is coming very soon.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 05-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #725 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I have one of those changers on my lathe as well. I love it. Makes things so much more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #726 (permalink)
Post Whore

built a nice punch set yesterday for polyurethane:

three piece punch, the ID hole punches first then the outside punched immediately after. super easy to build if you need to make accurate high quality seals from cast sheet. helps to have a concentric setup to punch it on. the more accurate your punching setup the closer you can fit the tolerances, I did about a thou on both punch fits and it runs perfectly (and cuts perfectly with no edge tearing).

resulting seals:

Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #727 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Nice.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #728 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Back home from college, finally starting to clean the tormach before I put it back together... It is caked from 5 or 6 years of coolant and chips, going to be a long few days ahead of me...

Just some before and after photos
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #729 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

HSM. How to I tell it that it can/needs to take out this material? Both sides of the bottom, not just the single side where the arrow is. Didn't want to clutter it. The upper parts of the T are fine as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut question.jpg (67.9 KB, 100 views)

Quote:
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 08-16-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #730 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

My attempt at cutting this was a no-go. I ended up doing it on the manual because the orientation was goofy and I couldn't get it to work off of what I thought was zero. It's probably something simple, but it was enough for me to throw in the towel for the day.

Quote:
Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB

« KP work | - »