mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #751 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

If the top of my part was above the X0 Y0 of my fixture (job zero right? machine zero is something else) I would be fine. But, that isn't working on this part, so I will have to figure something else out. Going to model the fixture and see if HSM will ignore it if I add it to the fixture callout.

This is what it looks like. This was prior to me figuring out how Mach wanted to use the UCS.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #752 (permalink)
MCB Member

Humm not sure exactly what your trying to do but the fixture looks pretty good (I might add another clamp somewhere though) if it was me I would setup the current work cordiante system g54 to the center of the part (x0y0) the top of the part should be z0. that everything should be repeatable.

What version of SW do you have? if you have 2014 if you would be willing to send me the file I can show you how I would program it. Not saying it would be 100% perfect but it would be a good place to start.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #753 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

oh hey, forgot to update from page 73... I totally overhauled those conveyors on the DT-1, Haas supplied us some new extended auger housings, apparently we're the first ones to have em installed. the auger screws were extended too and cut down at the drive end, same design as the ones I modified. the sheet metal covers they supplied were horrible so I cut em down all nice, the reps were impressed. re-oriented the motor mounting as well to provide more clearance for chip removal from the tray.

no problem firing out 25 pounds of chips an hour for a week straight... I had to scoop the chips out every hour or it would overflow the whole tray. filled two 55 gallon drums every day.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #754 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Here is how the setup was being, well, setup. I zero'd off the top edge of my hole plate, and off the right edge of my fixture. If I zero off the top of the part, the corner shown is at the coordinates shown. Makes sense that it wants to plunge into the fixture if it wants to start at 0,0,0. I don't really want that, but was reading about G54 today. That sounds like the best thing to try.

I don't have a probe (but one is an option on my machine), nor do I have a hay to indicate the center of a hole on this machine. I have most of the bits, and I might have to complete them if that is an easier way to do things.

The setup you see is actually really sturdy. The plastic cuts really nicely, but the fixturing is rigid. Not opposed to alternate options, but I can get a part set up in seconds.

I do have SW 14. Might take you up on things, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cone fixture.jpg (162.0 KB, 45 views)

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #755 (permalink)

Use an edge-finder?

and always set Z from top of part, unless on a rotary axis then usually from centerline to make the code more sensible (but sometimes un-necessary)

typical approach to the part after loading the tool:

1-enable absolute positioning, work offset, tool height offset
2-spindle start and specified speed
3-rapid to Z 1.0
4-input initial feed rate and feed to Z 0.1, or just rapid there if you're confident in doing so
5-commence chips

reason to do it like this:

1: making sure you're not in incremental.
2: tool is revved up so if you crash, you'll be cutting instead of mauling your way into the material, it's probably better for the machine somehow (not an expert here since I don't crash machines)
3: rapid to z 1.0 so you can make sure you're actually one inch away from the part. it's best to run in single block with reduced rapids if you want to be careful (I just mash the red and green buttons at half rapid)
4: coming down to 0.1 after the 1.0 gives you an extra step of safety here.
5: profit

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-12-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #756 (permalink)
MCB Member

Do you have an edge finder? You should be able to find the center by touching off one side of the hole then zero then move to the other side take note of the number on the DRO and devide by 2 then do the same thing for the other axis. Bam your int the center.

I also freak bore

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #757 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
oh hey, forgot to update from page 73... I totally overhauled those conveyors on the DT-1, Haas supplied us some new extended auger housings, apparently we're the first ones to have em installed. the auger screws were extended too and cut down at the drive end, same design as the ones I modified. the sheet metal covers they supplied were horrible so I cut em down all nice, the reps were impressed. re-oriented the motor mounting as well to provide more clearance for chip removal from the tray.

http://i.imgur.com/6389vpY.jpg

no problem firing out 25 pounds of chips an hour for a week straight... I had to scoop the chips out every hour or it would overflow the whole tray. filled two 55 gallon drums every day.
I have been thinking about getting more into the big leagues with machines like that and I have been hearing good things about Samsung machine tools. I guess they are pretty new to the US market 2-3 yrs maybe. I heard on Practical machinist that they may have been re-branded and sold under the Doosan name here in the USA for years before that though. The prices are much more reasonable than the same model with the Doosan stickers. Know anything about them?

I also freak bore

A wise man once said:
Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 AM   #758 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Use an edge-finder?

and always set Z from top of part, unless on a rotary axis then usually from centerline to make the code more sensible (but sometimes un-necessary)

typical approach to the part after loading the tool:

1-enable absolute positioning, work offset, tool height offset
2-spindle start and specified speed
3-rapid to Z 1.0
4-input initial feed rate and feed to Z 0.1, or just rapid there if you're confident in doing so
5-commence chips

reason to do it like this:

1: making sure you're not in incremental.
2: tool is revved up so if you crash, you'll be cutting instead of mauling your way into the material, it's probably better for the machine somehow (not an expert here since I don't crash machines)
3: rapid to z 1.0 so you can make sure you're actually one inch away from the part. it's best to run in single block with reduced rapids if you want to be careful (I just mash the red and green buttons at half rapid)
4: coming down to 0.1 after the 1.0 gives you an extra step of safety here.
5: profit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
Do you have an edge finder? You should be able to find the center by touching off one side of the hole then zero then move to the other side take note of the number on the DRO and devide by 2 then do the same thing for the other axis. Bam your int the center.
I do have an edge finder, but have never done it like that. I suppose I could though. The Z.32 is where the corner of that block is compared to the top of the part. I did zero off the top of the part when I was setting it up, just pointing out the corner for reference.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #759 (permalink)

TJ, I use an edge finder or renishaw probe usually. or a dial if I need the best possible positioning off a bore.

I don't know too much bout Doosan/Samsung, but I have heard Robodrill makes a nice high speed machine similar to the DT-1. not sure how the pricing compares, it can't be too far off though. of all the vertical CNCs I've used, the DT1 has to be my new favourite... just incredibly well rounded and so very profitable.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #760 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Didn't have the chance to go further on things last night, but will be as soon as I get home today. I actually had an idea that I wanted to try for centering. This is not a precision feature, it just has to be there, so there is no really critical requirement. Besides, I have a few spare cones that didn't turn out as good as I wanted, so they will be the test dummies.

Ugh, another long day ahead as I'd rather be tinkering in my garage.

Quote:
uh, dude? CNC is serious business

Kinda joking but also kinda mean to say, the tighter you make your setup process the less chance of occasionally writing off a nice little fixture or losing an hours work on a particular part. like anything with machining... taking shortcuts will bite you in the ***
Not taking shortcuts, just doing things in a way that is mor repeatable on my setup. I redid the program so that 0,0 is the center axis. But, instead of indicating off of the ID of a round section, I went into the model and measured the distance from the edges that are against my fixture zero's and simply offset the table that much.

Gotcha before your ninja edit. Don't worry, I know there are things I don't know, which is why I am trying to learn them. This isn't a 100k gantry (we have two at work, quite large), this is a 1k bench model. There is only so much damage I can do to my immediate surroundings, and I'm keeping that to a minimum so far.

Quote:
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 06-12-2014 at 11:30 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB