mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #781 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

I think you're right on the money. G28 definitely returns invariably to home (thru reference point as mentioned, but it doesn't really make much difference, and the reference point isn't even used most of the time since an incremental value of zero essentially means no reference point is specified). G53 for machine coordinates positioning, yea that rings a bell for sure! Right on
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #782 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

It works!!! I had a few suggestions on what to look at, mostly certain specific codes. None of that seemed to work, but I later noticed something. The code I posted in the txt file has the first X/Y location command going to X0.1145 Y-0.8968. Well, that's not what was showing up in my code preview window. I think that when I hit regen code it did something I didn't want it to. I thought it would update the path preview window based on where it was located, but I think it rewrote the code factoring in the position of where it was. In my preview window for the code it said X-1.5XX Y.8XX, which is why it was going up and left.

I pulled in the code with the X0.1145 Y-0.8968 opening line and all of a sudden the preview window looks good. Imagine that. Ran the program, recorded it on my phone, everything worked great.

Learned a lot over the last few days. The best part is now I have gone start to finish with a job, so now it's a tool, not a paperweight.

I'll make another video, or just upload this one. The program takes a little under 7 minutes because I have my IPM pretty low and my lead in isn't very good. I can work on the lead in, but don't want to up my IPM because it's an open loop machine. If I bog it down it will lose position and then I'm hosed. I'll just play it safe.

Thanks for the help and input the last few days.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #783 (permalink)

Congrats on working threw the headache of finding that one line that's fouling it all up! Sure is sweet when you get it all working though. I'm a bit jealous as being a paperweight owner myself. I got my missing circuit board for my Matsuura 355$ used I hope it works Just need 13kva of 208v 3 phase then I can try to turn it on with my fingers crossed. Trying to think what I want to sell for $1500 so I can get a fancy digital rotary phase converter, hum I think I might have some hording tendencies. I may have to just wait and save some more $
Ps DT1 Let's see That video! curious what these max nc's can do.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #784 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I know, I know. I cut a few cones last night. I also recorded it with not an iphone. While my phone probably has better picture quality and close-up focusing, the other camera was on a tripod.

My brother gave me his old MacBook when he recently moved so I've been trying to play with that when I can. I tried iMovie last night and while it is a simple enough layout, I would have finished the editing before I went to bed on my W7 machine. Maybe tonight, but maybe not. This next 10 days is going to be crazy.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #785 (permalink)

hey, speaking of cellphone videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hoyhtr0k3M

mmm chips
Old 06-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #786 (permalink)
MCB Member

Make a cover for that tool setter/probe. You'll thank me when one of the chips doesn't rip off your tip. We went through 3 tip on the spindle probe before they put the rapid change at 25%. It keep on combing down from the carousel and snapping right as the arm would grab it. I told my bosses but no one listens to me cuz I wasn't running it..... Not my money.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #787 (permalink)

never had an issue with the tool setter, been using several of them on a few machines for about 3 years. Good point about the spindle probe though, I usually keep the machine in 50% rapids or less when doing a setup so I don't pick up the probe at max toolchange speed... but I can see how that could screw the probe tip up!

another thing to do which I used to do regularly, was just taking the spindle probe out of the machine when finished with it, and store it on the rack beside my edgefinder. that way it never gets toolchanged at all, and less exposure to coolant and chips

(I don't anymore as my boss prefers them to stay in the machine)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #788 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Here's mine. There are a few things that need to be worked on, such as the overly-long lead in and the random speed changes. I have it set up to run very slow since it's open loop and I don't want it to get bogged and then Mach thinks it is someplace when it is someplace close, but not exact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzjrIiYYCQ

Yay, already did 5 on real parts. This one was a hacked up scrap piece, just in case.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #789 (permalink)

Now you just need to shorten up that tool and bump your feeds... five thou per flute for plastics is taking it easy
Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #790 (permalink)
MCB Member

Looking good for first cuts. I would though that it looks like your rubbing your way thru rather than cutting. what kind of cutter are you using how many flutes? DOC?

It looks like your just engraving some kind of direction arrow. Rather than using a typical end mill I would suggest an engraving bit and do it in one pass I would also suggest doing it as a trace feature on a single line drawing.

Harvey Tool - Carbide Engraving Cutters - Tip Radius

Using something like that I would say .050 doc 5000 rpm 20ipm. Just remember to disable tool keep down and lead in and lead out radius. Btw that is probably your random speed change problem its changing speeds for the lead in a and lead out arcs.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB