mcarterbrown.com  

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #791 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Now you just need to shorten up that tool and bump your feeds... five thou per flute for plastics is taking it easy
I think that cutter might be a bit small for .005 per flute unless its a single flute cutter.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #792 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

It's a .065 3-flute. Flutes are only .090 high. DOC is .030, total depth is .380. The feature is where the flat spring slides in and gets anchored into the cone for my loader.

Spindle max's out at 2500, and I'm not running it that high. Don't have a way to measure it right now and the mill's spindle controller can't be controlled by Mach. I am doing it manually through a router speed controller, something I saw in a video from another MAXNC user. I would guess I'm in the 1000rpm ballpark, which is what HSM is being told as well.

I have a previous gen servo set on my 10, so getting info on max IPM was iffy. I think they were stalling just trying to jog at ~22. I'm not too concerned about job times right now. The max in HSM is 10, which is working just fine. The slower movement is only 4, so I will try to figure out why it is going back and forth. tjd gave an idea that I will look into.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind this is a 35 pound machine. I will ease my comfort zone higher, instead of starting high and then break it.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback

Last edited by desertT1; 06-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #793 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Ahh, 10 ipm at 1000rpm is just over .003 per flute which is plenty for that size endmill. Try bumping your rpm up and see if you can find an upper sweet spot, where observed vibrations and noise are at their best (maybe up in the 2000-2200 rpm range) and use that with higher feed if possible.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #794 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Will do. I want to get something to measure RPM so I can get better data to work with.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #795 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Will do. I want to get something to measure RPM so I can get better data to work with.
My guess is that the mill is single phase?

If it's not you can get a vfd that you can calibrate the runs with and then have Mach controlike it while making the spindle single phase 230vac as well

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Paintballer50505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #796 (permalink)

no way it's 3 phase for a mill that small. nothin wrong with that, my mini lathe ran for like 10 years with a brush motor and it was in frequent use with compressed air to clean up and only minor maintenance. and did eventually cook the motor and controls, but no worries as I'd got the Hardinge by then. and I used to stall that thing all the time trying to rip off more than it could chew with micro carbide on stainless parts.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #797 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Yeah, 110 and single phase. I have 2x 50A/240v single phase plugs in my workshop, so bigger toys aren't out of the question in the future. However, I bought this with a very specific use in mind. Anything over that (like cutting these grooves) is strictly a bonus.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #798 (permalink)

holy crap, so our Toyoda horizontal CNC went down at work (big 50 taper beast with massive toolchanger), I transferred the job to the DT-1 for the time being, 20 minute cycle time for one bar worth of parts... actually quicker than doing it on the horizontal due to faster tapping, through spindle coolant for the deep hole drilling, and no problem doing the inch-deep slotting and pocketing with half inch endmill at max MRR (and not even exceeding 50% spindle load). Better surface finishes and chamfers even. on a 30 taper vertical versus a 50 taper horizontal!! SO BADASS

only downside, *if you consider it a downside: gotta spend some of that 20 minute cycle around back dumping the chips and putting more coolant in from time to time... two cycles worth of chips, once evacuated, will basically fill up the whole chip tray (and due to the volume and rate of chip evacuation plus the rate of material removal, coolant is consumed much quicker than usual).

*that being said, I'd much rather be scooping chips and pouring coolant than sitting around deburring and sawing parts any time of the day.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #799 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I just ordered a simple DRO for my lathe. The cross has a dial on it, but the carriage does not. In the time that I have used it, I have had the top slide (also with a dial on it) at 90* so I can measure depth of cut going towards the spindle. That takes forever because it's a tiny handle and while it has about 1.75" of travel, it takes a long time and a lot of effort to get that far. I have to take 3 passes of 1.6 length to make the center shafts for my loader. This DRO will help that effort and time by quite a bit.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 07-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #800 (permalink)
Aggalicious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0HYRG4h6Gk

I have always really liked ideas like this, if you needed something temporary you could mount a pair of calipers to your ways for the carriage.
AbeShip is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB