mcarterbrown.com

Airsmiths on MCB MCB Airsmiths working together to bring you the best in custom paintball work.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #141 (permalink)
Post Whore

what i know about machining is little, but i've payed attention to some machinists. here's my take on it.

SS is a tough material to bore. if an aluminium barrel takes an hour, you have to do twice that time, if not more, because you have to go slow, or risk turning the swag into welded metal. as well as because of the high nickel content, SS has a tendency to remove the sharpness of most tooling, basically wearing it out in twice if not faster time than in aluminium. plus, add in that the boring bit, or most tooling isn't $5(i would suspect that the tool Tjd is using costs upwards to $100), there is a line where the effort to do not only the job, but a job with high standards is too much for any machinist.

kick, cry or moan about it, if the man says no, then there is nothing you can do about it. he gave an answer as well as a few other respected machinist types here, and there is nothing you can do but take a pot shot at it? from what i've read, he's very accommodating and forth coming with all his work. so find a nickel plated barrel(Lapco had them with there barrels) or get one and have it plated after getting it bored and you can have it nice and shiny just like stainless but with half the weight.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #142 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
what i know about machining is little, but i've payed attention to some machinists. here's my take on it.

SS is a tough material to bore. if an aluminium barrel takes an hour, you have to do twice that time, if not more, because you have to go slow, or risk turning the swag into welded metal. as well as because of the high nickel content, SS has a tendency to remove the sharpness of most tooling, basically wearing it out in twice if not faster time than in aluminium. plus, add in that the boring bit, or most tooling isn't $5(i would suspect that the tool Tjd is using costs upwards to $100), there is a line where the effort to do not only the job, but a job with high standards is too much for any machinist.

kick, cry or moan about it, if the man says no, then there is nothing you can do about it. he gave an answer as well as a few other respected machinist types here, and there is nothing you can do but take a pot shot at it? from what i've read, he's very accommodating and forth coming with all his work. so find a nickel plated barrel(Lapco had them with there barrels) or get one and have it plated after getting it bored and you can have it nice and shiny just like stainless but with half the weight.
his work looks good, im jealous of machinists because I would love to mess around with one just to get all my wiggles out on paintball gear.

But stainless sounds so daunting and impossible yet companies still made high quality stainless barrels. Must be why Dye wraps stainless steel barrels with carbon fiber these days.

Last edited by Lead-Foot; 11-24-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #143 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead-Foot View Post
snip/
But stainless sounds so daunting and impossible yet companies still made high quality stainless barrels. Must be why Dye wraps stainless steel barrels with carbon fiber these days.
These larger companies can make good quality stainless barrels sure with the right tooling I can bore them too. Remember this though, every instance of a stainless barrel was quite a bit more expensive than the same model in aluminum. SS boomsticks cost more than AL boomsticks, SS freak backs cost about 70 when AL cost 50. using dye as an example again the CF/SS boomstick costs 160 an AL cost about 120. This is because of the wear and tear on the tools and machines. And these are companies that can call up a tooling company and say we want to do this (making a barrel in this case) make us a tool that will last as long as possible. And when the company comes back at a unit cost of 2000 to increase productivity 5%. Dye would not bat an eye. I ,on the other hand, am on a shoe string budget compared to a major manufacturer. Every bit of the money I make from boring I dump back into my machines and running costs and tooling or developing new products. So when people ask me to take almost double my time for only a couple bucks more is not a desirable market for me and does not make business sense. If I thought their was a market for 80 boring jobs I might open up for it but I just don't think its there.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #144 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
These larger companies can make good quality stainless barrels sure with the right tooling I can bore them too. Remember this though, every instance of a stainless barrel was quite a bit more expensive than the same model in aluminum. SS boomsticks cost more than AL boomsticks, SS freak backs cost about 70 when AL cost 50. using dye as an example again the CF/SS boomstick costs 160 an AL cost about 120. This is because of the wear and tear on the tools and machines. And these are companies that can call up a tooling company and say we want to do this (making a barrel in this case) make us a tool that will last as long as possible. And when the company comes back at a unit cost of 2000 to increase productivity 5%. Dye would not bat an eye. I ,on the other hand, am on a shoe string budget compared to a major manufacturer. Every bit of the money I make from boring I dump back into my machines and running costs and tooling or developing new products. So when people ask me to take almost double my time for only a couple bucks more is not a desirable market for me and does not make business sense. If I thought their was a market for 80 boring jobs I might open up for it but I just don't think its there.
I understand what you're saying. So I think you should tell us what you're charging, we tell you if we would pay that much, if not why. If its a price point people have trouble with then you can lower your price and have high demand if you think it's worth it, if you don't think it is I bet someone else will and take care of all the customers you turned away.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #145 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
I have a 16" one piece Dye Boomstick that has been too big for the paint the last 3 times I've played. I have a 16" freak kit that I use instead but I want to use the boomstick sometimes also. It would be awesome to be able to use my freak inserts on my boomstick so I can use it all the time. Can you please give me a price to bore out my boomstick? It is one-piece with a stainless steel back.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #146 (permalink)
MCB Member

PM sent

I also freak bore

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #147 (permalink)

hey I have another barrel that I'd like to be bored!
do you think you could do a stock g4 barrel? It's mostly straight but has a taper on the back near the threads.
junits15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junits15 View Post
hey I have another barrel that I'd like to be bored!
do you think you could do a stock g4 barrel? It's mostly straight but has a taper on the back near the threads.
It is definitely doable. I had mine done and I love it.
liverlip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #149 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yup like the man said I can do it. PM me for my shipping information.

I also freak bore

A wise man once said:
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #150 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just received my UL back. I haven't used it yet; but this system of keeping the insert immobile is far less headache than o-rings. I've had some instances where removing an insert from an o-ringed barrel was a downright chore. Not a single machining mark on the back either. Top notch work Tom!

Thanks again!
Daniel
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Airsmiths on MCB

« Shop Talk! | - »