mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Airsmiths on MCB (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airsmiths-mcb/)
-   -   Looking for AGA62 help/conversion (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airsmiths-mcb/207072-looking-aga62-help-conversion.html)

IrishRedneck86 07-02-2012 02:04 AM

Looking for AGA62 help/conversion

I am looking to get a quote of what it would cost and who could do it.
What I am looking for exactly is to have my AGA62 slightly modded to use .50cal paint by having a drop in barrel insert and a few spring feed tubes made, as well as if needed an insert for the elevator.

Currently the gun is not working leaks like a sive when trying to air it up, and the latch is loose, a shop local might be able to fix her up but IDK yet gonna call them later. But Id also like to know if anyone here could get her fixed up and shooting and at what cost.

PistolRogue 07-02-2012 02:31 AM

As far as your leak goes, they use the exact same valve assembly as the Crosman 3357, which I believe is still available direct from Crosman as a whole unit for like $20. There are quite a few people on here who do 3357 rebuilds regularly, I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.

4G010H3R0 07-02-2012 09:42 AM

you can get a complete Crosman 357 on amazon.com for like less then $50 shipped and thats everything except the "specific" parts that make it a aga.62 (I.E the barrel, elevator section, feed tube and indexing armature,barrel latch) but you get a brand new(better I say) valve, combat grip, co2 puncture area etc.

The only downsize is you have to mill a bit off the bottom of the "swivel part"(the bottom screw area) as the aga and the 3357 have larger parts on their front barrel block.

oh and btw if you take a tippmann detent and cut it a bit it works great as a 3357 or aga latch rubber.(cheap-o fix)

now as for the downsizing conversion? oh man for the money it sounds like you might have to drop into that working properly you might as well go with a 3357 in general.
I dont have the machines to make something like that but I can imagine getting it working properly on someone else's time would add up quickly.

Echo is spending a lot of time and his own $ to make his 3357 shoot .62 so I can imagine that a downsizing conversion with an elevator system would be rather difficult too.

not 100% sure just what I would surmise

PistolRogue 07-02-2012 10:05 AM

While I'd never try and do it myself, converting the AGA to .50 has its merits... To be honest I don't think it would be that hard, as 1/2" ID tubing is way more common than .68 compatible tubing, and since there are less obstructions/openings between the valve and the ball on an AGA it will most likely get better velocity and efficiency with .50 cal.

The only problem with grabbing the whole 357 off amazon is the seller might not ship to your particular state. I know most will not ship pellet guns to NJ as I believe they are somehow illegal here. Not sure on the particulars of other states/regions.

But of course I'm going to be the idiot who tries to go the opposite way on this one and convert it to .68 instead.

4G010H3R0 07-02-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PistolRogue (Post 2398012)
While I'd never try and do it myself, converting the AGA to .50 has its merits... To be honest I don't think it would be that hard, as 1/2" ID tubing is way more common than .68 compatible tubing, and since there are less obstructions/openings between the valve and the ball on an AGA it will most likely get better velocity and efficiency with .50 cal.

well yea it would get better FPS but its basically the same valve. It's just the .62 break better then the .50. Honestly there isnt much paint in a .50cal ball.. not compared to a .68, even a .62 ball has a much "juicier" fill. The shell on most of the .50 I shot was rock hard, even when I bought a "fresh" batch. whatever that means really:rolleyes:
Honestly unless you are an airsmith or put some custom work into your crosman I think they got the same number of shots(I owned both but cant recall atm) Its just the FPS is way better on the .50 due to its lighter mass but accuracy was awful and I still got a ton of barrel breaks, where as in the AGA i didnt get as many(bigger overbore on those)
Both guns have their pros and cons. I personally like the .62cal crosman revolver I had. If my field would let me use .62 I would have never let it go.

The only problem with grabbing the whole 357 off amazon is the seller might not ship to your particular state. I know most will not ship pellet guns to NJ as I believe they are somehow illegal here. Not sure on the particulars of other states/regions.

Yea I guess there is that. Didnt think about all those different state laws. Always 3rd party it I suppose. Just break it down before mail or something.
LOL so how is your DSG not Illegal.. or the DRV.. or half the stuff you own I bet:p just playing

But of course I'm going to be the idiot who tries to go the opposite way on this one and convert it to .68 instead.

^ Ill give you a shiny nickel if you can pull that off with usable velocity and no jamming issues. It also has to look somewhat pretty too tho Rogue.
I still think Calamity looks good but if you have like stuff hanging out the side, under and over it I dont think it counts as a real AGA anymore:rolleyes:

IrishRedneck86 07-02-2012 01:33 PM

Well Im a welder and fabricator by trade but Ive been in and out of work and dont have access to a drill press or lathe any more otherwise I would be doing the conversion myself . Cause what I would do is widen the barrel for a 1/4inch down to make a shelf for the new .50cal barrel insert that was turned on the lathe to sit in and not lose it. the new feed tubes would basically be the same as stock just smaller inside diameter. The only thing I havent figured out is the mods for the elevator so it comes up to the right position.

PistolRogue 07-02-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishRedneck86 (Post 2398188)
Well Im a welder and fabricator by trade but Ive been in and out of work and dont have access to a drill press or lathe any more otherwise I would be doing the conversion myself . Cause what I would do is widen the barrel for a 1/4inch down to make a shelf for the new .50cal barrel insert that was turned on the lathe to sit in and not lose it. the new feed tubes would basically be the same as stock just smaller inside diameter. The only thing I havent figured out is the mods for the elevator so it comes up to the right position.

If you're just putting centered inserts in each bore, and a centered insert in the elevator, there's no alignment issues to worry about, you're not changing any of the center-to-center dimensions. Now if you're trying to some fancy offset nonsense you're going to have issues....

Quote:

LOL so how is your DSG not Illegal.. or the DRV.. or half the stuff you own I bet just playing
It's not illegal here because it looks real, it's illegal because bb/pellet guns are outlawed. I think it's an FPS/solid projectile thing, haven't really looked into but I know I've seen many vendors with "Can Not Ship to NY/NJ/etc." before...

IrishRedneck86 07-02-2012 04:52 PM

No I live by the KISS motto Keep It Simple Stupid so I would like to keep it all centered like it is now but just for .50cal