-   Airsmiths on MCB (
-   -   Laxpro69's Custom work thread (

AbeShip 08-16-2013 02:09 PM

Laxpro69's Custom work thread
Well everyone, as some of you have seen in the shop talk thread I have been working towards machines and getting a little shop together for myself. I currently have about enough stuff to get some work started. I am not going to currently take any work just yet, I would like to have a little more practice and time on the machines before I get started. I am just starting this thread to show some of my work and show what I can do. First I will start with the machines I've got...

I have two lathes and a milling machine. I have yet to get myself an RPC big enough to power the victor, so that is another reason for my set back.

That is my hardinge lathe for smaller pieces, and my mill.

This machine just arrived on Wednesday, like I said I am waiting to power it.

I am in a tight spot for shop space (Ty would probably disagree!) but its enough space to get the job done. I have accumulated a good bit of tooling and some storage, so I am about ready to go.

As I have no CNC, some of the stuff I can do will be limited, but I will do my best do do what I can :)

AbeShip 08-16-2013 02:13 PM

Today I got to spend a bit of time in the shop, first up was the lathe, I am hoping to do freak boring here in the next month or so. I will be playing with my own barrels for set-ups, and once I find something I like working with I will get started for you guys :)

Then I jumped over to the mill, as I just got a body in that was "junked" that I could try some things on.

BigOldSkool 08-17-2013 07:05 PM

Lax from experience.. if your going to have that body anno'ed at all that sight rail likely wont survive its too thin.

AbeShip 08-18-2013 03:06 PM

I was just messing around, kind of milling whatever I felt like. I will get a smaller endmill (I used a 1/4, found in a lot I bought) once I get it delivered, but for now the 1/4 does some stuff I like. No plans to re-anno, just repair a stripped thread and maybe get it working.

Thanks for the advice BOS :)

ilivlife 08-20-2013 09:40 AM

What services do you plan to provide?

AbeShip 08-20-2013 08:26 PM

Not sure yet to be honest, waiting for a motor to power the lathe. Probably milling, some turning work, freak boring, what did you have in mind?

AbeShip 08-26-2013 11:02 PM

Attempted first freak bore was pretty successful. I will have pictures tomorrow. Cheap chinese reamer did alright eh Ty?

AbeShip 08-27-2013 07:12 PM

Does this work?

Here we go... I think. Little hiccup with not starting it deep enough, but other than that it went well.

tymcneer 08-27-2013 11:34 PM

That may have been because of a slightly heavy handed teacher ;)

As to you have a small shop space... You have now seen my walk in closet of a shop... I can fit the entire shop, with room to space and working space, on to a one car trailer :)

subyrally 09-03-2013 03:08 PM

looking good so far. if you ever decide you need a bit more room, you have seen the space i have ;) granted, im not sure if i would be able to easily get the electrical supply needed in a timely manner, lol.

you guys together could probalby help me out with some ideas i have rattling around inside my head, Lax, you probably know which ones im talking about. lol