mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   AirStar Nova (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airstar-nova/)
-   -   chopping issue (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/airstar-nova/212182-chopping-issue.html)

IcyKoolAid 08-29-2012 03:36 AM

chopping issue

So i keep having the same chopping issue.

you know how you pull the trigger and the barrel moves forward allowing the paint to fall in the breech. Well the second paintball above that is always sitting half way in the breach and its constantly cutting it in half when the barrel returns to a closed position.

Is there something i need to adjust here? I feel like the gun worked perfectly for 1 day and has never been able to shoot a whole day again without blending that second ball.

thanks ahead of time

tjd10684 08-30-2012 01:02 AM

nope nothing you can really do. these guns should have had some kind of detent system but back in the day there was no force feed hopper trying to push paint out the barrel and 693 was an acceptable bore size so everthing kinda worked out. I plan to one day put a tippmann style detent in the breach of mine so it can get the field time a classic like this deserves.

IcyKoolAid 08-30-2012 02:16 AM

so does it work better without a force feed hopper? maybe i should give that a go, and try using bigger paint so the ball is held up more lol.

mind explaining your detent idea a little more? i would like to get something going, the gun is to sweet not to use at scenarios.

tjd10684 08-30-2012 12:06 PM

oh ya when I tried to use my rotor on it ball's just poured out the end of the barrel. I ended up with a 9V revvy on it and it sill chops now and then. gotta kinda hold up the barrel so the don't have much of tendency to roll into the barrel.

the plan for the detente is to remove the breach section from the body tube and mill a slot in it that will accept a tippmann reversed detent. the reason it would need reversed is if you use it the same way tippmann does when the barrel comes back it would chop off the top of the detent.

all I really need to for it yet is take it apart model the breach in solid works model a tippmann detent send stick it in there virtually once I am reasonably sure it will work I will throw it into my cnc mill and cut it. it would be a good one day project now I just have to get the gumption to do it.

superman 08-30-2012 02:14 PM

some of the novas had detents and they were just like a plastic piece and a spring. they were installed with the breach section removed from the body. seems much easier than milling a slot.

tjd10684 08-30-2012 02:28 PM

maybe if all you have access to is a drill press. for me it's just as easy to cut a slot as it is to drill a hole. it's only plastic it cuts like hot butter :)

superman 08-30-2012 04:37 PM

i also have access to a mill. but i think that the tippmann detent will catch on the ball and be cut by the barrel since it is operating backwards from the way it was intended

tjd10684 08-30-2012 08:14 PM

You may be right, but I don't think so and their is only one way to find out :) Their is plenty of room on the breach section if it does not work there should be enough room to try again.