mcarterbrown.com  

AirStar Nova For Airstar/PGI/WarMachine Paintball guns. Nova's and all related markers.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Strange Nova Query

So I just rebuilt my Nova using the o-ring kit I purchased months ago from C5TEK. I did have some issues with some of the rings in the kit not fitting properly but I'm not sure if that's what is causing my problem now. I followed the Nova o-ring chart to the letter and had issues with two spool o-rings and two spool housing o-rings not fitting properly. I just reused the ones I took out after making sure they were not damaged.

So anyway the delrin barrel guide has blown off of the front a couple times while gassing it up and once while firing a string of test cycles without paint. I'm thinking that maybe some of the o-rings I replaced on the barrel assembly are not the right size and this is allowing the pressure to escape into the foregrip area and push off the barrel guide. Unfortunately I'm not sure which original o-rings I took off of what part so I can't really backtrack. They are all so similarly sized that it will take some serious trial and error to do so. It does not leak anywhere and seems to cycle fine otherwise.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Basshead; 02-19-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think I fixed it with a different o-ring inside the barrel retainer. That is the fifth one in the kit that didn't work. I by no means blame C5TEK for this. I've heard that there were many small changes made to the design while they were producing them. I'm really curious to see how many slightly different versions of the Nova 700 were made.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have seen way too many versions of the parts. Changes on spool/housing, reg, lots of stuff. I have a large oring collection I use whenever I find a Nova that doesn't match the chart, which is not too uncommon.

Avery
Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8
Sharing computers is like trading underwear.
amcfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK... so it's still pushing out the guide. It isn't flying off like a missile anymore but it's still creeping out slowly while firing. It seems to function perfectly aside from this. The only other strange thing is that the velocity adjustment screw is backed out just about all the way and I can't get it lower than like 285 fps.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Basshead; 02-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
1.21 gigawatts!

Send a message via AIM to C5TEK Send a message via Yahoo to C5TEK

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Yeah I agree with Avery... There have been a lot of small changes here and there on the internals. I tried to cover as many as I knew of but it wouldn't surprise me if there is something different with the one that you have. By all means post up some pictures and let's take a look at it and see if I or we can spot anything out of the ordinary.
Last edited by Drum : Today at 07:41 AM. Reason: Because "sexy" lamps are for HOMO decorators...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
That was back when I thought the crusade against stupidity was actually a winable fight.I was wrong.And I gave up.
This sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear
reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.

My MCB Feedback
C5TEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshead View Post
OK... so it's still pushing out the guide. It isn't flying off like a missile anymore but it's still creeping out slowly while firing. It seems to function perfectly aside from this. The only other strange thing is that the velocity adjustment screw is backed out just about all the way and I can't get it lower than like 285 fps.

Any thoughts?
Regarding the velocity, have you dome the reg test? That is where you remove the internals from the reg (spring, piston, pin, etc) which requires removing the snap ring. The gas it up. If any air escapes out the back you have a regulator issue.

Avery
Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8
Sharing computers is like trading underwear.
amcfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
1.21 gigawatts!

Send a message via AIM to C5TEK Send a message via Yahoo to C5TEK

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
OK I pulled my nova barrel apart to show you what everything should look like. There should be 6 o-rings in the barrel assembly.One in the delrin tip,two in the barrel retainer,and usually three on the barrel itself.If the delrin tip is working itself out because of air pressure then the inner barrel retainer ring is either damaged or not the right size.With the barrel apart the barrel should fit the o-ring almost snug.It shouldn't drag,but not be able to be moved up or down or side to side. If the delrin tip is working itself out because of drag on the barrel itself, lube the tip of the barrel and the id of the delrin tip.Don't lube the oring on the delrin tip as it is the friction of this oring that holds the tip in place. Any other problems let me know.
First picture is the entire barrel assembly apart.

The second is the barrel retainer itself showing the oring for the barrel.
Last edited by Drum : Today at 07:41 AM. Reason: Because "sexy" lamps are for HOMO decorators...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
That was back when I thought the crusade against stupidity was actually a winable fight.I was wrong.And I gave up.
This sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear
reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.

My MCB Feedback
C5TEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey thanks!

You didn't have to do that but I appreciate it.

It's the o-ring inside the retainer that was giving me issues. There was enough pressure blowing by it that the guide was blowing off with enough force to take off the aftermarket aluminum barrel muzzle brake with it and send them both flying across the room. After I swapped that o-ring it stopped doing that but was still creeping out while firing. I did grease the barrel at the guide and it seemed to help some but it was still creeping slightly. I ran out of co2 so my testing is done for now.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Basshead; 02-25-2008 at 10:17 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AirStar Nova