mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Winnebago Send a message via Yahoo to Winnebago

thanks guys!

i just got a 1/8" thick 12" x 12" sheet of aluminum yesterday. hope to start working on a thin tray for Angel frames (have a cobra fierce and a4 fly frame) this weekend.

I also ordered some plugs and housings from digikey so i can make an adapter harness (jst to molex) for the noid to plug into a Lucky UN1 Angel board. Will either use lucky spitfire, virtue, or predator chip in the UN1 board. hope to get that done this weekend too.

I really want to put the viking back together as-is (or with the angel frame and board if i get finished in time) and play this weekend. But i would rather not scratch up the mirror polishing.

I think I am going to aurora the viking instead of anodizing. I was holding out for LTHG's (anodizing world and the waterpool anno) return but he's been awol since last May. so instead of dropping $250ish on anno, i figure i would spend a bit more and get it aurora'ed.

I'll need to:
- take the ram cartridge apart so i can just send in the ram housing.
- take the lpr apart so i can just send in the lpr housing.
- find a medium or tall adapter for the sidewinder (or just get a 2 liter)
- take out the reg internals.
- find out if PVD (aurora) can be done on both aluminum and stainless steel

since I plan on aurora'ing an Angel (either mamba fly or ripper LCD), i still need to take one of those apart. So it will be at least 2 months before the viking is finished.

oh. and maybe chop up an angel trigger (CP or lasoya or cobra) to fit in the stock viking frame.

""Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." - Ayn Rand

- I demand MY fair share of YOUR hard work. -

For Sale: Angel Mamba Fly
Angel Parts
MCB Feedback
Winnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

AKA Fan
DO NOT refinish the ram cartridge or other plugs, they have fairly tight tolerances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Aggroman saves the day!
Now he's goin' street ridin'!
aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

thanks for the heads up. i thought it would be ok since all 4 plugs/housings have orings past the threads. so i didn't think i would have problems with leaks.

won't look all shiny with black ends to the tubes...

""Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." - Ayn Rand

Angel Parts
MCB Feedback
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebago View Post
thanks for the heads up. i thought it would be ok since all 4 plugs/housings have orings past the threads. so i didn't think i would have problems with leaks.

won't look all shiny with black ends to the tubes...
Ive redone the plugs in one of my guns and it turned out fine. Talk to Jared at DC before you do it. It's really, really easy to screw up.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

that's right... the actual PVD process may not mess with tolerances too much... but the stripping off of the old anno layer may take too much.

here is tanury's response to one of my questions a while back:

> 2) How thick is the coating? Some parts have pretty tight tolerances so parts will move and air will not leak.
>
2-3 millionths of an inch of PVD coating, and the base plate is thicker at apx. 450 - 470 (+/-) millionths of an inch, and if done consistently, should not pose a functional issue.

Angel Parts
MCB Feedback
Old 02-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

hey if you have any extra aluminum when your done making your tray you should make me one lol

and im starting to dislike you lol. i go for tarantula milling w/ custom logos, you have tarantula w/ half mill ribbing.

i am getting a multicolor ano job, your getting aurora

you know what?? maybe ill just get my viking made out of diamonds, what do you say to that haha

your gun is going to be beautiful sir
bazr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

i bought a diamond dusted cutting disc last week and tried to cut the aluminum. but the disc won't hold on to my dremel's collet tightly.

I think i'm going to get a bandsaw or jigsaw with metal-cutting blades. or find a local metal shop that can cut aluminum for cheap.

not sure if my thin tray would be of any use to you... Since i'll be customizing it for Angel frames. And i don't have any other frames to measure against.

Angel Parts
MCB Feedback
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
awesome user

dont use a dimond dusted cutting disk when they cut aluminum it will colect on the disk and wont cut well band saw or jigsaw is your best bet or if you think you have a steady hand try a hack saw and pritty it up with a belt sander
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

thanks for the tips!

Angel Parts
MCB Feedback
Old 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
awesome user

or if you want to go with a dremel there are cut off wheels made for them idk what they are made of but they are brown and look like mini grinding wheels but any way you cut it id deffinitly use some type of belt sander to cleen it up

o and when you drill you holes use a drill pres and clamp it down less chance for it so slide and your hole be in the rong place
moon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA