mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Professional Lurker

Problem(s) with 03 Excal

My Excal is having a few issues and I am not sure where to go next.

I noticed immediately that it didn't have the legendary chrono consistency AKA's are known for. Shots are varying by as much as plus or minus 15fps. Now, there are two possible culprits at play here, that are not the gun: I have yet to put paint through it that I would consider decent. I have been a slave to field-paint-only places as of late. The paint hadn't been good. The second possible culprit is that I only have one barrel back in cocker-threads ATM, and that is .679. Whatever size the paint has been, It's been getting forced through a tiny bore. Is one or both of these things that much of a factor?

My first day with it, It worked for a while, then the bolt started sticking back for a long time every now and then. This got more common as the day went on. In one game, it threw up a red and green flashing light. At the time, I didn't know what was going on. I did a bunch of research when I got home (mainly in this forum, Thank you, All) and found out that it was telling me there was an eye fault. I have a reliable loader on it (bought it a brand new V-max) thus that seems to indicate to me an eye problem. there is, however, one other hitch... The previous owner said it had just had the eyes replaced by DC before i bought it.

In an attempt to troubleshoot this problem further, I played all day yesterday with the eyes turned off. For the most part, it did really well. Every now and then, though, the bolt would stick in the back position. I would have to physically move the bolt to unstick it. It had a tendency to do this mainly after shooting longer strings.

I am 99.99% certain it has a WAS board, if that could help anyone help me. The programming instructions for the WAS board work as directed, so if the other board option uses a different programming system, I definitely have a WAS board.

But my question is, where do I go from here? should I send it in to have the eyes looked at/ replaced? Is there anything else I can do to see if this problem runs deeper than that, like, check the board?
Verissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Try a new battery, it sounds like that could be your problem.
aggroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Agreed with Brock. Replace your battery. Then check below:
I noticed immediately that it didn't have the legendary chrono consistency AKA's are known for. Shots are varying by as much as plus or minus 15fps. Now, there are two possible culprits at play here, that are not the gun: I have yet to put paint through it that I would consider decent. I have been a slave to field-paint-only places as of late. The paint hadn't been good. The second possible culprit is that I only have one barrel back in cocker-threads ATM, and that is .679. Whatever size the paint has been, It's been getting forced through a tiny bore. Is one or both of these things that much of a factor?

Quote:
Paint quality does influence consistency. Find someone with or purchase a barrel kit of inserts/backs and determine a reasonable bore for the paint you are using. You should be able to use your mouth to blow paint through your barrel but the bore should not be so large that paint rolls through.
If your paint is inconsistent in size to the point where some paint rolls through but others are stuck in tight, you have a horrible batch of paint.
An aggressive dwell setting (too short) could cause problems but I would take care of the obvious paint to barrel issue first.
My first day with it, It worked for a while, then the bolt started sticking back for a long time every now and then. This got more common as the day went on. In one game, it threw up a red and green flashing light. At the time, I didn't know what was going on. I did a bunch of research when I got home (mainly in this forum, Thank you, All) and found out that it was telling me there was an eye fault. I have a reliable loader on it (bought it a brand new V-max) thus that seems to indicate to me an eye problem. there is, however, one other hitch... The previous owner said it had just had the eyes replaced by DC before i bought it.

Quote:
Check Battery
Have you cleaned the eyes? Have you tinkered with the wires to the point that they be kinked or cut?
In an attempt to troubleshoot this problem further, I played all day yesterday with the eyes turned off. For the most part, it did really well. Every now and then, though, the bolt would stick in the back position. I would have to physically move the bolt to unstick it. It had a tendency to do this mainly after shooting longer strings.

Quote:
You can, by only a small amount adjustment, turn your LPR up too high and damage one or both of the solenoids. You need to have someone service your excalibur or you need to purchase the tools to do so.
To do it yourself, you would need the "round" wrench and the 03 Excalibur gauge kit. AKA or DC sells these.
Brand new, the gun should be set around 80-85psi. After broken in, it can be turned down between 60-85psi. If you do not have SCM LPR (Sticks out of the gun), your sidewinder pressure will effect the LPR's. This means you would need go back and forth between testing regulars till you get it balanced.
I cannot stress enough, how critical it is for you to use the gauge.
I am 99.99% certain it has a WAS board, if that could help anyone help me. The programming instructions for the WAS board work as directed, so if the other board option uses a different programming system, I definitely have a WAS board.

But my question is, where do I go from here? should I send it in to have the eyes looked at/ replaced? Is there anything else I can do to see if this problem runs deeper than that, like, check the board?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA