mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The coming and going of my AKA dream gun

(This is a "story time" of sorts. If this is in the wrong place or not allowed please feel free to move or delete as you see fit.)

Howdy guys,

As we all know, times are tough right now for a lot of folks and I was sitting here a moment ago, getting ready to put my Excalibur on ebay for some extra money to pay bills. I started to think about how I wanted one all through high school, back when it was only a computer rendering in an ad in the back of APG. I thought about Larry letting me shoot a blind single trigger at the local Pan Am tournament and how blown away I was. I thought about my old Viking, which I traded away years ago. Then a while back I found this Excalibur. Times were good and the price was right so I indulged and went for it.

Most of the fun with my paintball guns has been finding, buying, modifying, experimenting, perfecting, and then selling or trading them...and doing it all over again. Not the Excalibur. I just never felt it needed anything. Unfortunately for me, I bought it just as paintball sort of faded out of my life for a handful reasons. I played with it a couple times, goofed off shooting behind my house a couple times, but that's it. I never really had the chance to become attached to it because of the epic games I had played with it. It got retired to the garage with the rest of my old gear before it got the chance...stored nicely but none the less unused.

That's why I thought selling it would be easy, but it hasn't been. How long it took me to afford and then find one, what it represented to me growing up...it does mean something, it is more than an assembly of machined parts around a circuit board. I didn't like the thought of somebody buying it and it winding up in a bin somewhere, or some well meaning parent buying it for their spoiled kid who wouldn't like it because it isn't a 2012 Electro-whatchamacallit. I have a pump that I built and vowed never to sell, no matter what. It's storied, we have a history together, and I think of it more as a friend than a piece of sporting equipment. That's what I'd like to become of this Excalibur...it should be like the used car you get in college and drive to the ends of the earth, not sitting unused in someones (my) garage.

I know this is a huge mess of sentimental mush, but I know that the AKA community is a tight one, and that to some degree or another you will identify with this. So ITT: post a story about your dream gun, or the "Ol' Dependable" in your collection. How long did it take you to afford/find/build it? What game winning move or incredible shot have you made with it that you know couldn't have been done with a different gun?

As an aside, if there's any interest in mine (though there hasn't been thus far) I'll make you a good deal on it if I know it's going to a good home. Y'know, like a big farm where it can run free with all the other AKA guns
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I heard vikings were great on the internet. Looked around and found a pretty, green one that was milled and bought it as a birthday present for myself. Got it and found it was messed up so I had to fix it.

Time between 'I want one' to owning one. About a week. Time from owning one to playing with one. About a month.

Sorry to suck the magic out of yo thread.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I heard vikings were great on the internet. Looked around and found a pretty, green one that was milled and bought it as a birthday present for myself. Got it and found it was messed up so I had to fix it.

Time between 'I want one' to owning one. About a week. Time from owning one to playing with one. About a month.

Sorry to suck the magic out of yo thread.
No suckage on this end. It could be something as simple as finding a set of zebra wood grips that looked just right, and made the gun "finished" or otherwise subjectively perfected. Time frame doesn't necessarily factor into it, though in the case of my favorite three guns, one I built over a year and a half, one belonged to a friend and I lusted after it for years before the opportunity to buy it presented itself, and the third is the aforementioned Excal.

If that Viking wasn't particularly special to you for some reason it's not the sort of thing I was referring to, and I didn't mean to infer that AKA guns are all like mythical swords with special powers. Let me make an analogy: it's like the difference between my commuter car and my old car. A new Matrix or Ego is like my commuter... it's a good car, it always starts, rarely breaks down, has modern conveniences, and while I'd be sad if someone wrecked it I could just get another one. Whereas my old car doesn't necessarily compete with the commuter in any appreciable way on paper, it's special for some reason, even if it's only because it's different.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
I thought your story was going to end with you keeping the gun and vowing to play with it like you meant to when you bought it.
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
I thought your story was going to end with you keeping the gun and vowing to play with it like you meant to when you bought it.
I'm sort of half-thinking-about-it, but I just have too many bills and too few hours at work.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
Don't know if I belong in here but I was poking around the aka threads because the time is here that an excalibur joins my collection. Anyway, for me that magical gun (besides whatever is the newest in my collection haha) has got to go to my shoebox shocker. Got it when they first came out, saved a long time to buy it and was the only person to have one at my field. It rocked my world, it was so smooth accurate and never broke down. Still to this day the gun that has gotten me the most hits.

So I took a ten year break from paintball and when I got back in my shoebox was in my closet waiting for me. Time and age has helped me in one respect. Money, I can now afford a few more toys than I could back then, which is why my gun collection has grown by 5 in the last year (soon to be six, c'mon excal) but that shoebox will always be in my bag, I have updated her a bit and still use her on occasion. She is still everything I remember and more than enough firepower to shoot up these kids with their latest fads. And still the only one I have ever seen in my area! Some guns just fit.
leathalh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathalh View Post
Don't know if I belong in here but I was poking around the aka threads because the time is here that an excalibur joins my collection. Anyway, for me that magical gun (besides whatever is the newest in my collection haha) has got to go to my shoebox shocker. Got it when they first came out, saved a long time to buy it and was the only person to have one at my field. It rocked my world, it was so smooth accurate and never broke down. Still to this day the gun that has gotten me the most hits.

So I took a ten year break from paintball and when I got back in my shoebox was in my closet waiting for me. Time and age has helped me in one respect. Money, I can now afford a few more toys than I could back then, which is why my gun collection has grown by 5 in the last year (soon to be six, c'mon excal) but that shoebox will always be in my bag, I have updated her a bit and still use her on occasion. She is still everything I remember and more than enough firepower to shoot up these kids with their latest fads. And still the only one I have ever seen in my area! Some guns just fit.
I still remember the fusillade of RPS Allstar that my friend Kyle's Shoebox (turbo/powerfeed/air assist) would send flying at me. So quiet, so fast, so accurate...that gun became legendary amongst my friends for that, and for one time having the air assist hose popping loose and hilariously flailing around as he shot
Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
People learn quick to watch out for mine, hoping that an excal is similar.
leathalh is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA