mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Looks very nice Powkoa. Happy to see the whole front anno'ed to match. Going to have Mario do the same thing with mine and I was a little concerned it would be too much of one color/pattern but yours looks pretty sweet. Can the QEV's be anno'ed as well or did you just decide not to have those done?
Glad to see the beavertail done as well. For some reason mine just seems like it's made out of something other than aluminum.
Wasn't this the body with the crack in the window? Sure that isn't the culprit of your leak?
Mad Anthony P8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
There was a crack, it is sealed, and it was the valve exhaust part of the body so it would not make sense that it would leak just aired up and sitting there.
I did not ask about the qevs, seemed like a hassle for a very small part, and decided to keep the lpc black too.
Also left the cocking rod and pull pin black.
The beavertail is aluminum and a KAPP. I could not get parts from aka directly so it seemed that was a good alternative.
This is my first build and I am pretty happy with the results so far.
I just took it apart after losing the valve retaining screw did not work. Assured it up and it seemed fine, but my tank ran out quick while monkeying with the three way. For whatever reason, this thing has to have lots disassembled before accessing other parts compared to a wgp or whatever. So while the gripframe was off and I raised the hpr pressure, I had to find the right spot on the three way and lost air. Shocktech three ways are finicky.!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Fooled me on the beavertail. At first glance it looks like a AKA beavertail. I'm going with a Palmer's on mine. Believe that ST might be tricky because it's a short stroke 3-way. Just takes the slightest of adjustments to set it right.
Mad Anthony P8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powkoa View Post
There was a crack, it is sealed, and it was the valve exhaust part of the body so it would not make sense that it would leak just aired up and sitting there.
I did not ask about the qevs, seemed like a hassle for a very small part, and decided to keep the lpc black too.
Also left the cocking rod and pull pin black.
The beavertail is aluminum and a KAPP. I could not get parts from aka directly so it seemed that was a good alternative.
This is my first build and I am pretty happy with the results so far.
I just took it apart after losing the valve retaining screw did not work. Assured it up and it seemed fine, but my tank ran out quick while monkeying with the three way. For whatever reason, this thing has to have lots disassembled before accessing other parts compared to a wgp or whatever. So while the gripframe was off and I raised the hpr pressure, I had to find the right spot on the three way and lost air. Shocktech three ways are finicky.!
Turn the LPR down so no air is coming out if you have the grip frame off when you air it up.

So did raising the HPR pressure work to seal the valve?

And the milling on the valve spring insert sounds like a great idea. It looks like a lot of air volume was lost when AKA switched from Spyder to cocker valve springs and your solution sounds ideal.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
My air is gone for now. After I opened it up and messed with the valve and retaining screw, I aired it up again and dumped air out of the three way. Those shocktech little orange orings are buttery smooth, but tricky to seal without a little TLC. I will try to get to the field in the next month so I can play and some air to tech it again. One of my friends may have some extra air that I could get at this weekend if I am lucky. Good call on turning the lpr off first. Thanks! It's easy to forget some of the basics sometimes.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

So nice, maybe my merlin isn't the best looking purple merlin anymore.
Dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powkoa View Post
My air is gone for now. After I opened it up and messed with the valve and retaining screw, I aired it up again and dumped air out of the three way. Those shocktech little orange orings are buttery smooth, but tricky to seal without a little TLC. I will try to get to the field in the next month so I can play and some air to tech it again. One of my friends may have some extra air that I could get at this weekend if I am lucky. Good call on turning the lpr off first. Thanks! It's easy to forget some of the basics sometimes.
Are ya saying it's also leaking with the trigger frame on the gun? It can sometimes be very tricky to get a super-short 3way to work properly on a minicocker. The smallest bend in the timing rod or the frame being tightened down in an odd position can cause a big leak.

Try lubing the Bomb with vaseline/petroleum jelly. It's the recommended lube by Shocktech, and I feel like it's thick viscosity helps make the Bomb less fussy.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA