mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Merlin build

So, I have been working on getting a Merlin for about a year. I gave up on getting a round body kit with the inline grip frame. I almost bought a couple of v2 revenges, but was too slow on two of them. Saw this random Merlin body and bought it. The body is in rough shape, but since the build has become kind a grail I decided to just go for it and make it as perfect as I can. I have never built an auto cocker so this will be an adventure in tuning it. I have tech'd my own and my friend has me to tech his cockers so I think I can get this together all right in the end.

Right now I have mostly AKA parts for it, exceptions being madman spring kit, a couple different parts box hammers with a flat-bottom bevelled lug, feed neck, beavertail (got a karni and a kapp), barrel, and on/off. The backblock is delrin and take an evo length bolt. I was pretty excited about getting a delrin evo length AKA bolt, but the tip barely enters the breech and after I give the backblock a tiny gap I think that I will get blowback with this setup. I am going to try a shocktech delrin bolt because the tip is longer and it is a much smoother fitting bolt altogether. The eclipse hinge will go on it and the sfl frame is for another project and will not get built up until I can find a thicker trigger plate.

I am super excited to send it off to anno tomorrow and am sure that Mario at FX will do his usual stellar work.

Anyone have any advice on springing this beast. I have never used a merlin valve/tornado valve and have never worked on a cocker without a threaded IVG. Reading back through old threads made it look like it is going to be a bear to get the right combo.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have had 3 Merlin's that I built from the ground up. Springing has really never been a problem for mine. I used the aka springs on two of them and green/green maddman spring on the last one. I also used the aka fixed IVG set flush to the back of the marker. Velocity is adjusted by the HPR. I am also currently working on my last merlin, but taking my sweet time on it. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I don't have that milled banjo with LPC you sold me pictured or going to nano, but it is going right on the front! I think it will fit right in anyway being gloss black and all.

And thanks for the advice on springing it.

Honestly, the merlin in your Avatar is one of the nicest I have ever seen. I am jealous and hope mine comes out close to yours.

Last edited by Powkoa; 11-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Powkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Looks like you got your Unicorn there coming along nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird View Post
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
DC has AKA on/off-rail combos for just over $50 plus shipping.

I think that is going to be a sweet as build!! A little over 2 years ago I build up one of the last Revenge VLM bodies before they went over to the Merlins. Loved that gun but ended up having to sell it because life happened. Rebuilt another recently with even more rare parts (ealy SA body, rare frame) but it just can't replace the one I had to sell. Feeling just isn't there for me.

I wish you the greatest of luck in your build. I think she's going to be fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Thanks!
I have a bob long or shocktech bottomline for it. Cannot wait, even though I just got it in the mail for anno....

I have a VLM body on the backburner right now, bought it just before I found this body. Purists will hate me, but I had it 2k'ed and windowed. That is my next build and I will get going on it in 2014. I think it's a early splatt body because of the serial number, but it didn't come with original front or backblock. If I can nab one, it will have a niche 86* slider.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is this the one with the small chip/crack in between the tubes?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Yes this is the body with chip/crack between the upper and lower tube.

Quote:
lube the shaft and warm the o-ring up in your hand by rubbing it back and forth between hands. then it should go on easier.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I take it that several of your have passed on this body before?

Is there more to this story that I should know?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I know nothing of this body really. I passed on it because of the back block and the crack in-between the two tubes that and two other Merlin's landed in my lap at the time. Just something I wouldn't buy without having it in front of me first since I would have no idea if it's a surface crack or went further. That being said I wouldn't anodize it without airing up the body first. But you should know how bad the crack is since it's in your possession.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA