mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
2 Vikings (03 & 04), which to keep?, SCM purchase and install help also...

I'm new to the AKA Owners Group, but I'm in the process of purchasing an 03 and 04 Viking.

Both are unmilled, come with WAS Equalizer boards, and eyes. I am going to keep one and sell the other. I have a few questions:

1) I've heard of a few 'deficiencies' with the 04s, compared to 03 models. What are the changes that made them perform different?

2) The 04 is missing the SCM. Where can I purchase a new one, and should I only look for an SCM-III? Also, do I need an AKA tool to install it?

3) When sending one of these to DC for some milling, which are easier to mill, or should I say: benefit more from milling?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions, for now I'll post a pictures of what I'm getting.

The 2003:

The 2004 (as posted above, SCM has been removed):

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15 View Post
I'm new to the AKA Owners Group, but I'm in the process of purchasing an 03 and 04 Viking.

Both are unmilled, come with WAS Equalizer boards, and eyes. I am going to keep one and sell the other. I have a few questions:

1) I've heard of a few 'deficiencies' with the 04s, compared to 03 models. What are the changes that made them perform different?

2) The 04 is missing the SCM. Where can I purchase a new one, and should I only look for an SCM-III? Also, do I need an AKA tool to install it?

3) When sending one of these to DC for some milling, which are easier to mill, or should I say: benefit more from milling?
I wouldn't say there are deficiencies in the '04 model. The main difference is in the body. The grip frames did not change. Notice the '03 extends a bit past the back end of the frame while the '04 ends flush with it. This results in less volume in the second tube, and the Mitey Max is often added to compensate for that difference. If you are sending one to DC for milling, it would probably be worth it to have Jerrod install a new SCM III. A tool kit usually runs about $40.00 if and when you can find one. Ironically, I picked up an '04 kit by mistake (I have an '03). Besides, if you are planning on having it milled immediately, it will need to be reanno'd and you will want the SCM to match. Speaking of milling, I don't think there is any difference between the '03 and '04 in ease of milling. Because the '04 body is shorter, it is lighter. With the same milling pattern, you will theoretically have a lighter marker with the '04, but not by much.

LMK how you like that trigger on the '04.

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

The main thing that is preffered about the earlier vikings is their wire ball detents. Wire ball detents have proven reliable and easy to adjust over the years..the 04's have those spring loaded plastic nubs under the eye covers and they are just more of a hassle. Really thats it.

Ive always considered the stock LPR on vikings to be just fine..scm isnt really neccesary. If the 04 has the built in LPR honestly it should be more than good enough.

Ive had 2 04's and no earlier models. Id probably get the cheapest one now..but id rather have humphrey solenoids.

All 04's have humphreys, some 03's do. Either solenoid works fine. Just try and sell both and keep the one that doesnt sell if what id do.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
WVU paintball #19

AKA Fan
After owning AKA's I prefered the 03's. The wire detents were better. I think they 03's look a lot nicer when milled also. The stock LPR is fine, but if you want a new SCM then find a SCM II. The SCM III were designed a produced after Alex and Dan left AKA. The SCM III have had a lot of problems when compared to Alex's version.
minimag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Any idea where I could find said SCM-II? I will be sending the 'keeper' Viking to DC for some milling and then I'm going to choose an anodizer for a unique design. However, the 04 is missing the SCM and I need to replace it first, before selling it, unless I can afford the loss!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

If the 04 doesnt have an internal SCM allready than it shouldnt be working at all.

akaowners.org will give you good results. Most of the guys there will have at LEAST an internal SCM you can practically have for free, and likely will have an SCM 2 you can buy. I never really heard the bad things about the 3 though.

When you send your gun to DC - i suggest getting there NOT FSP milling, and then having them mill out the pocket behind the ASA. It looks alot cleaner and its just super cool..and its what i want to have done

Do you know if your 03 has humphrey solenoids?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Just got the Vikings today! Looks like the 04 has the SCM (with the allen set screw and +/- symbol) but is missing a volumizer, seems like a relatively simple fix. I'm amazed at how pristine these puppies are, they both look brand new! I'll get updated pics soon.

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Volumizers on Vikings are really just cosmetic. Seriously when the SCM came out it looked silly hanging out there all by its lonesome so they put the DC or Mitey Max on there to sort of even the lines out, but I really doubt it makes any difference at all. Anybody that tells you it does is probably just feeling silly for having dropped $50 on a hollow piece of aluminum. My $.02
pullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Most of the opinions on the volumizer have been related to the 04 model. Since the 04 model is ~1/2" shorter than the 03, I've heard that the volumizer helps increase the internal air passage volume to prevent shootdown. However, even with my GZ Intimidator, (with those small autococker hoses inside and small air passages to boot), never really experiences shootdown of FSDO. Is this symptomatic of Vikings, or is it just hype from the community, an unfounded fear?!

** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Old 12-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Volumizers are unneccesary, Vikings have a whole left tube of air volume that doesnt need to be there. Looks like you had alot of unfortunate misconceptions about AKA markers right from the get go.

The internal LPR is more than good enough
and
Volumizers are unneccesary

Thats that.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA