mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Tornado Valve Leak

Well I recently bought a cocker tornado valve. Got it in the mail on Saturday and got around to installing it on my halfblock 05' Prostock pump cocker today. The thing is leaking like crazy. I've PM'd the guy I bought it from asking him about it but am still waiting on a response so I figured I'd post here for suggestions on how to fix the leak issue.

So far, I've taken it out three times and put it back in and made sure the o-ring is sitting properly. Also the last time I did that, I installed a stiffer valve spring to see if I could apply more pressure to the cupseal but it didn't help at all. It has plenty of oil on it to seal and I know its all seated properly so I can't figure this out at all.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

If the springing is ruled out as an issue, the valve itself may be bent slightly or the cup seal may be wrong one way or another. IIRC these valves were not the easiest to get sealing. call AKALMP and order a spring maybe they will ship it real cheap, if you have the right valve spring it will be easier to match the right hammer spring.

But you are on the right track. There is no magic, but something may be wrong with the valve or your tuning. Just go through it one at a time.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll try flipping the cup seal next and see if that makes a difference. And I've looked over the entire vavle, plunger, spring, and cupseal (apparently this one is brand new according to the guy I bought it from) and I can't find any damage or warping on the entire thing. I probably spent close to twenty minutes looking it over.

And I have the original spring along with a few custom cut valve springs along with hammer springs. but it can't be the hammer spring because I tested it without the hammer in at all. Hopefully I find the right combination.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

a trick i learned to get new ones to seal is to install it then run straight co2 or unregulated high pressure air into the gun and leave it pressurized overnight. the tornado valves use a moderately hard cupseal material (PCTFE aka Kel-F if im correct) so sometimes it hard to get them to seal initially.
der cockermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der cockermeister View Post
a trick i learned to get new ones to seal is to install it then run straight co2 or unregulated high pressure air into the gun and leave it pressurized overnight. the tornado valves use a moderately hard cupseal material (PCTFE aka Kel-F if im correct) so sometimes it hard to get them to seal initially.
The only problem I see with that is that since I live in an apartment, is that if that vents, its loud and I don't want to piss off the neighbors (I miss the country ). And the other thing is that its a pretty bad leak, it'd probably have a 9oz drained in under two hours.

Any chance soaking the cupseal in oil will make a difference? I've heard this helps with certain types of them.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hmm... The valve has miraculously fixed itself overnight without me doing a thing. Interesting, I didn't do anything to it last night, didn't leave it aired up or anything. Maybe the cupseal just settled finally into place.

O well, works for me

Thanks for the help guys
Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yeah I got to come in here too. Don't rush the Tornado valve. Like said before they are very hard. I had the same thing happen to me once with a new valve. I fixed it by cranking up my regulator as high as it would go and leaving the gun pressurized for a few days. Totally fixed it.
Garbageman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yup was working on the gun today a little bit, and I took out the valve to look at it a bit, and it seems that after it was under spring pressure for a while, the cupseal was kind of dented in a little bit where it meets the valve.

And no worries, aired it up fine today after I reassembled it without any leaks

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA