mcarterbrown.com  

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Marathoner

Blind Viking intermittently stops firing.

Total AKA noob here.

My friend has a Viking with no eyes (eye holes are drilled and plugged, looks factory) and had a problem this weekend.

It worked fine until he changed the battery. Now during play it will stop firing. I oiled the bolt (with Hoppes 9, as the owner wanted) and I could not reproduce the symptoms.
After I tested it for a couple hundred shots, he took it back out and had the same problem. Using an HPA tank.

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Dont use hoppes 9 it has solvents and will destroy your ram as it works its way down there. Just not a good idea. pretty please dont =/

Never heard of that problem though =/

04 vikings that were factory drilled had plugged eye holes though, as you described.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
By stopped firing, do you mean completely dead? You pull the trigger and no sound, no click, no nothing? If that's the case, I'd check the battery harness. It sounds like you have a broken wire/connection, giving intermittent power to the board. Make sure you check where the wires are soldered onto the clip, if it's the vinyl type, you may have to cut it open.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

like ta2 said when he changed the battery he may have dammaged the battery clip/harness.

the gun now REALLY needs to be torn down and cleaned because of the hoppes 9 it will kill his hammer/ram cart. if he has been lubing the entire gun with it the reg should be taken down aswell,time to buy a tool kit.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to MassDestruction00 Send a message via Yahoo to MassDestruction00

I need a little more info here.
what board does it have?
the old nelson board is terrible about needing 9 volts, not 8.4 not 8.9 but 9 volts
a cheap battery will make that marker suck out loud, so make sure you are using a good 9 volt such as a energizer or duracell industrial
and they also had a tendency to do stupid things like go dumb and not come back if they were left for too long without a battery.
so if it is a nelson board (the board will be green and the marker will boot up with a single color LED) I would recommend one of the many other boards for it

you should be running a good synthetic oil, AKA extreme lube is Dextron Mercron Automatic Transmission Fluid without the dye, if he has used hoppes #9 the marker should be pulled apart and the o rings replaced, AKA used some fairly light durometer
seals

other things to look for is nicked o rings, if you cut an oring on a viking a lot of times the nicked pieces will migrate to the solenoid passages causing the niod to be sealed off intermittently.

and finally, this one is going to sound WAY strange but is there a sticker on the sidewinder? a lot of problems are caused by a sticker being places over the tiny vent hole on the HPR. the marker will starve for air and basically fail to work

if you can't get it to work, either send it to Jared at DC or I am a certified tech for AKA, shoot me a pm and I will give you a hand
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

Hoppes number 9 is meant for getting corroded crap out of actual firearm barrels.

What gave your buddy any inclination to use such a corrosive killing oil on paintball marker with delicate o-ring's?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Marathoner

ta2maki:
Yup, dead. LED would not change color, no click, no nothing.
I'll have him check the battery harness.

Gogged_Gurl:
I'll tell him.

Mass Destruction00:
No clue on the board. The LED goes from Orange to Green when the trigger is pulled.
No stickers on it, but that is a clever one.
I'll tell him to buy a tool kit and complete o-ring kit for a rebuild or to send it out.

EDDAKA:
More than likely, the devil.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll post updates if I get them.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Dont use hoppes 9 it has solvents and will destroy your ram as it works its way down there. Just not a good idea. pretty please dont =/

Never heard of that problem though =/

04 vikings that were factory drilled had plugged eye holes though, as you described.
According to the bottle, one of which I have in front of me; Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating Oil contains "Pure Lubricant". Hoppe's No. 9 Powder Solvent, now THAT'S the stuff to NOT apply to a markers' internals. I've used, and I believe Tippmann recommends the stuff fer (at least) it's own markers. I've always used either air tool oil (cheap, does the job...) or Hoppe's Oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

only run synthetic air tool lube in an AKA viking or excal
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Marathoner

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.

I've forwarded all this advice to the owner.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » AKA