mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Automag style ball detent in cocker barrels? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/10087-automag-style-ball-detent-cocker-barrels.html)

Railgun 01-27-2007 05:31 PM

Automag style ball detent in cocker barrels?

After struggling to fire my sniper quick enough to avoid rollouts the other night I've decided to put a little idea I've had running around the back of my head into reality sooner than I thought I would. I'm going to try machining an autococker barrel to include an Automag inspired wire whisker ball detent.

I've got a barrel kit but I'm hoping to be able to use some of my other barrels that came in with the various autocockers that I've bought.

Thoughts or dire warnings?

respiegel 01-27-2007 05:44 PM

is there going to be enough meat at the threaded end to get the detent to sit down where it should, without interfering with the threads? if you put it down far enough to clear the threads it won't do much to stop the ball from rolling forward

Surestick 01-27-2007 05:54 PM

What about the old tape/paint in the barrel trick?

Railgun 01-27-2007 09:03 PM

The cocker barrels have quite a long unthreaded portion and that's the portion I'll be using. The wire whisker won't be a straight one like the Automag one is. Instead it would circle part way around the back of the barrel and then bend through a 90, travel slightly forward and then hump inwards in a through cut in the side wall of the barrel. That configuration would also put it at the leading edge of the ball coming in and hold it back.

I tried the tape idea and got it to work after I'd done the chronoing but it took me 3 layers to hold the Reeballs. They are quite a bit smaller than the paing. But on the barrel I taped I even needed two layers to hold my current paint in. All in all I don't mind one layer of tape since I can pinch it by wrapping it around. But if I need to play with 3 layers of tape and worry about it coming unglued then I'd rather find a better solution.

Of course a barrel kit is the answer but I'd like to use the barrels that would not otherwise work well. One option that I found on this or another site was a Python short insert kit. It's nice because it'll work with any barrel as long as you have the one for that threading. And at $30 a kit it's very reasonable. But it does extend things by a good 2 inches by the looks of it.

http://www.pythonpaintball.com/index...61524f67f5e370

Brinstar 01-27-2007 09:29 PM

Another option is to do something like one of the BOA models. At the base of the threads (where the barrel o-ring is), they cut a notch through the barrel, so that the barrels o-ring would go in a bit.

grande 01-27-2007 10:57 PM

Why not just get a barrel kit to prevent the roll outs, keep the velocity more consistent and bring up the accuracy a bit?

Railgun 01-28-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinstar (Post 89898)
Another option is to do something like one of the BOA models. At the base of the threads (where the barrel o-ring is), they cut a notch through the barrel, so that the barrels o-ring would go in a bit.

That may be an idea. Cockers don't use Orings from what I've seen of the 3 or 4 I have here but a groove cut for one and then cut deeper to allow an Oring to form the detent may work nice. I'll have to measure it up.

Also I wouldn't want to cut that large a slot into the barrel at that point. There's a lot of leverage if you hit the end of the barrel on something and that opening would be at a critical point. I'd rather see something like that back in the short section between the threads and the breech where there's no loads.

Grande, I've got a kit but I'd like to use the barrels that came with the various cockers I got as well. Also if this works then I want to do the same to my Nelson based pumps that also suffer rollouts and that I can't get any barrel kits for.

grande 01-28-2007 04:12 AM

I had some of the best shooting cocker barrels around. Older AA's, OTP, Boomstick etc. until I switched to using a freak kit. It seemed like the only barrel getting any playtime was the freak so I sold everything else (still have a few barrels left that haven't sold). The other barrels were great for looks but that compared to performance on field, nah not for me.

russc 01-28-2007 11:29 AM

Are you getting rollouts even with that J&J kit? As for the detentes, Automags fire from open bolt, so the detent is not protruding as the ball is fired. I don't know if this would have any adverse consequences when used on a cocker that fires from closed bolt.

K.macocker 01-28-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grande (Post 89935)
Why not just get a barrel kit to prevent the roll outs, keep the velocity more consistent and bring up the accuracy a bit?

agreed...