mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

It would be good to know about wedgiting aluminium barrels that are anodized. The anodizing layer is harder and more brittle than the underlying metal and almost any time I've ever bent aluminium that is anodized the ano cracks and tends to flake leaving sharp, rough edges around the bend. I'd be worried that the anodizing on the inside of the barrel would do the same thing.

This is at least part of why I'm looking at doing a barrel installed spring detent similar to the Automag barrels. If it works it would be more gentle and a bit more universal.

On the barrel kit note I got a J&J Edge kit back before Christmas. The sweet thing about it is that the backs go down to .679 for the smallest size and the next one up is .682 and then .685. I figure the two larger sizes won't see much use. And likely the .685 will be a special one for humid summer days only.... I guess we'll see what happens when things warm up.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Unless you're really in love with the barrel, why not just get PPS to make one with wedgits? I'm pretty sure they can make them for just about any gun out there (Vectors and unibody guns aside). Just give 'em a call and ask. They make 'em all out of brass, but they can sleeve them in anodizable aluminum (though I think the sleeve would need to be ano'd before being attached to the barrel).

This way, you not only get the wedgits, you also get a brass-lined barrel, and brass is arguably the best surface for the interior of a paintball barrel.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

You also can't put wedgits in a Phantom barrel because they are breech drop guns, and the ball is never resting in the barrel.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Well, CCI also offers the "detent rings" and from what I have seen, those seem to work. Hmmm... Idea...

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

If the Phantom doesn't push the ball into the barrel then now I see how their detent rings would work. So the ring just fits in and then you screw in the barrel? Since the ball isn't pushed into the barrel that would work and is a rather obvious solution.

But that doesn't apply to a lot of the other Nelson style pumps. At least not the three I have here where the bolt definetly pushes the ball into the barrel's breech.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Dangit!!! Detent rings don't work on my 'cocker.... .

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It would be a Spyder threaded barrel for my Sterling. I don't really want a brass barrel. I'm assuming there wouldn't be any major problems with the annodizing chipping or flaking, or PPS wouldn't still be doing it.

I was looking at getting a Lapco one piece or maybe a SS Boomstick. I kinda forgot about the Edge system though. As cheap as they are, I might just pick one of those up instead and not worry about wedgits.

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

No, detent rings won't work with an Autococker, or any of the bore drop Nelson based pumps. There are two kinds of Nelson based pumps when it comes to the bolt/barrel interface. Bore drop guns are where the ball is dropped into the gun and then the bolt pushes it directly into the bore of the barrel. Then there breech drop guns like the Phantom where the ball drops into the gun and the bolt pushes it into a "breech" in the gun body which is directly behind the actual bore of the barrel. You can usually tell the difference by looking at the bolt of the gun. Long bolts (like on a Bushmaster or Maverick) are bore drop, short bolts (like a Phantom) are usually breech drop.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
PPS wedgits are made by pressing a small rectangular tool into the outside surface of the barrel which, in turn, makes slight bumps inside the barrel just in front of the bore.

The idea is that is centers a smaller ball and gives it a little resistance at the beginning of it's quick trip down the barrel.

As far as I know, PPS can add these to most different types of barrel materials, but call them and ask. (916) 923-9676

D.
Originally, the wedgits were made by selectively "crushing" a barrel in a 3-jaw lathe chuck. I ought to know... Dan DeBone and I did it two weeks after we built the first Rock in... 1991? Geez... it's been so long, I forget the exact year! The look a bit more uniform and distinct now, so there's probably a different tool that's being used.

--J

--J
joelrf600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
No, detent rings won't work with an Autococker, or any of the bore drop Nelson based pumps. There are two kinds of Nelson based pumps when it comes to the bolt/barrel interface. Bore drop guns are where the ball is dropped into the gun and then the bolt pushes it directly into the bore of the barrel. Then there breech drop guns like the Phantom where the ball drops into the gun and the bolt pushes it into a "breech" in the gun body which is directly behind the actual bore of the barrel. You can usually tell the difference by looking at the bolt of the gun. Long bolts (like on a Bushmaster or Maverick) are bore drop, short bolts (like a Phantom) are usually breech drop.
maybe it's different for phantoms, but bore drop and breech drop used to mean something slightly different from what you describe.

Bore drop meant that when the ball dropped in from the feedneck, the diameter of the area that it dropped into was the same as the bore of the barrel. It stemmed from the idea that on older nelsons/sheridans, the ball essentially dropped directly into the barrel and was pushed forward.

Breech drop meant that it dropped into a larger chamber that was specific to loading and then the bolt pushed the ball forward, moving it from the larger breech into the smaller bore. the bolt could then also be smaller, as the ramp of the breech/bore interface made a decent sealing surface for the oring on the bolt.

Does the phantom have a flat bore area ~.34" between the ramp and where the end of the barrel fits in the marker? if so, then it's definitely a hybrid, but makes perfect sense for how the sizer rings work.

--J
joelrf600r is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts