mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

So what's the big deal about the old Dye autocockers?

So over the past few months since I got into this addictive sport I've bought a couple of Psycho Ballistics guns and researched them on the web and seen all the comments about how they are a very poor copy of the original Dye cockers.

So today I go into one of the local stores to buy a burst disc and there's a clearance table. Obviously my shoes carry me over to there. Lo and behold there's a batch of LPR's and 3 ways for $10 each for the LPR's and $5 each for the 3ways. So I buy a Dye LPR thinking to replace the "cheap and cruddy" PB one. When I get home I open it up to see what's different and what do I see? The very same single piston and activator rod pushing on the very same bicycle tire valve stem. So it's nice that I how have an LPR with "DYE" on it rather than a lightning bolt but the innards aren't any more high tech. Which makes me wonder what all the fuss was about.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yep, the body wasn't the only thing that PB inherited from DYE. The DYE guns were beautiful, but they really didn't know much about building a good cocker, in my opinion.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The quality and consistency of parts.

The better stuff went on the DYE labeled products. The Dye guns were assembled cycled and sent out the door. As long as it fired it was deemed okay for sale. Now upon purchasing one of these guns typically they needed to be tuned before any real use.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to wolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to wolf13

and typically the pnues were replaced immediatly. really, the dyes aren't much better in any way, except they have the name and MAYBE were a little tighter quality. their pneumatics though were some of the worst on the market for cockers, the hinges were only so so and the bolt was a bad idea.

//I should mention I've owned an ultra lite and a friend owned a reflex. While I haven't owned any of the later crop of low end clones, the dyes were bar none the worst cockers i've had.

Last edited by wolf13; 02-04-2007 at 10:51 AM.
wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Now a good friend of mine has one of these ultralights, complete with stock parts all around. It is an amazingly snappy gun that is light, fast, and accurate. Its only problems were timing or lack of out of the box and at approx 15 cases of paint it went out of time(stopped counting cases at 15). Nothing that a set of wrenches couldnt fix.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I think that the idea that the psycho ballistics autocockers are way crappier than the dye autocockers is mostly a false one.

They really are made with the same parts. Dye has a better name and so people assume they are better. If you dropped a 20 dollar set of stock WGP or sto pneumatics on either gun it would be a better piece.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, Russ had a problem with a PB valve pin bending so perhaps the PB versions ARE a little more crappy then the Dyes but for the most part I think you're right about Dye's engineering not being all that great. The fact that the trigger frame uses 10-24 screws instead of the universal cocker standard of 10-32 makes me think that someone wasn't all that interested in doing the job right.

Oh well, I've got lots of tire stem valve cores thanks to my bicycles so I guess I'll just learn to keep a couple in my field repair kit if I'm using the DYE/PB LPR. Oddly enough it seems to flow the air just fine. But if the rather fragile little stem pin bends at all then it's toast. And the issue is that it wouldn't take much for the long umbrella style piston and shaft to get out of line and bend that pin. If the lower end of the shaft had a set of centering fingers on it then that would be a different story..... Hmmmm....... I think there's a lathe project in my short term future...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

It's probably a better idea to keep a couple Palmer's Micro Rocks in your toolbox for fixing up DYE and PsychoBallistics LPRs.

No, really.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've already got a secret weapon. An Oracle LPR LPR I got off ebay and a Shocktech monster purple LPR that I got for the same $10 out of the same box as the Dye...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts