mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   Some questions from a new Mag owner (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/1073-some-questions-new-mag-owner.html)

caplucky 05-17-2006 09:30 PM

Some questions from a new Mag owner

Well just got my very first Mag and of course I have a few questions.
First off the rear part of the reg seems to twist counter clockwise when I fire, I will twist it so the words MINIMAG line up and after a few rounds it shifts itself down so the MIN is not lined up with the IMAG lettering.
Is this normal or something to worry about? Seems to fire and cylcle allright and I was able to chrono it in with little problems.
Second, what kind of routine maintenance should I keep up with on it. And what kind of spare parts should I keep, springs or trigger sear assembly?
And finally what brand barrels are the best for a Mag, I have the 8" stock and a Smart Parts 14" teardrop(progressive?) should I pick up more or should that be good.
I might have to get me a few more of these Mags, been awhile since I used one and forgot how cool they were. So feel free to post up for sale any Mags you got lying around.:D

knightmare96 05-17-2006 09:58 PM

Only parts you should need are the o-rings/reg seat, and it is rare to need replacing. Your reg should not be turning when you fire. if it is just a little bit and then stopping, I wouldnt worry too much, but if it continues to turn then I'd do something about it. (Might try a little, and I do mean very little blue locktite on the threads of the reg) VERY LITTLE

As for Barrels, its the same with anygun, you want a good boresize to paint match. I have a J&J kit, and some oldschool dyes for mine. They tend to work well. Plus it depends if you want a loud mag, or a quiet one. They all seem to have different personalities. I have one MINI that is quiet as can be.

caplucky 05-17-2006 11:42 PM

Thanks for the info, the reg just moves a fraction of an inch and stays. If I twist it so the lettering matches up level it ends up going back to that spot and staying there.
So just a few drops of oil in the asa and it should be fine, got to love a marker with that kind of quality.
Yeah the SP barrel is quiet as a mouse fart, remarkably quiet at that.

Hobbes 05-18-2006 12:41 AM

It is normal for the reg to turn like that, nothing to worry about. For it to turn any further the pin in the regulator that slides into the rail would have to be missing, which is just about impossible.

As far as barrels go...With LVL 7 it likes to chip the next ball in the stack and in general wack paintballs pretty hard so I prefer to use a short and large bore barrel (like the stock Minimag) to help prevent barrel breaks. Make sure you have the parabolic powerfeed plug, that will help the paint feed a lot better (if it's the parabolic plug it will have 2 set screws on it).

Robertsr 05-18-2006 09:19 AM

As far as parts go, you can score yourself an Automag parts kit for about $15.00 still that will have every o-ring, seal and nubbin that you need. Personally I've used one piece out of my various parts kits in 5+ years of owning several mags. They work well as long as you don't mess with them.

After-game maintenance consists of wiping off the excess paint, and shooting some oil through the system.

caplucky 05-18-2006 06:48 PM

Thanks guys.
I do have the plug with the set screws, after I cleaned out the two holes and found the hex heads.:D
What's the deal with the parabolic feed plug?

mark 05-18-2006 11:33 PM

It has a steady curve to it insted of kind of flatening out at a point. I described that not too goo, or fomend that sentence the same way for that matter. I've seen a picture compairing the two before, now to see if I can't find it again.

caplucky 05-19-2006 12:03 AM

Yeah now that you mention it I do have one or two of the ones with the flat end, and this one is curved but why the set screws?

Walrus 05-19-2006 07:45 PM

I agree with everyone on this. Generally a few drops of oil in the asa (and I tend to put a few on the bolt itself so the spring won't wear on it as bad). Also, just like everyone else has stated, the barrels are hit and miss. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. I do have a 10" BOA barrel for sale if you are interested. One of the best barrels I ever owned for my Mag, I just don't think that having 5 barrels and two of the same size is a practical idea when I don't get to play too much right now. It shot better than the 16" All American I had, my 14" and 8" J&J. It was close to my 12" DYE, but I like the finish on DYE better.

K_Obeastly 07-23-2006 01:07 AM

I am going repeat the above with a little extra

for lubing, a few drops in the ASA or the quick disconnect (if you have one) at the valve and some dry firing is all it really takes. As for myself I would completely break it down every 2 months or so and clean out everything.

many people have said not to break it down unless it is malfunctioning. Some would say that you should stay out of the reg unless it starts giving you problems like really hot first shots. If you're not comfortable messing with the internals of the reg then I would suggest staying out of it untill you have to get into it.

there are some lubes I would recommend not using. in my experiance the greases like dye slick lube or shocker lube will kill your mag untill you get them out and relube with oil. I used dye slick lube one day and was having trouble with the trigger returning forward. I dripped a couple of drops of oil in and that loosened up the slick lube enough to get it running. after a few hundred rounds the slick lube was causing problems again.