mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Wheels For Buffing Aluminium

I heard about some wheel for buffing that requires no compound as the wheel is impregnated with grit. who make such and where can I get one. Also what grit for removing heavy scratches, and what grit for fine buffing? Thanks.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

What will you be buffing, and are you using a bench grinder/buffer or using a drill.

The work piece and the tool will make a world of difference with what help we can give you.

Also, "heavy scratches" if they are deep can be a real pia and you will never get them out with buffing.

Give us more information and I'm sure someone can help.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Heavy scratches would actually have to be sanded most likely by hand with a 400-600 grit sand paper. Or with a heavy grit compound.

As far as a wheel with compound already on it...I would'nt waste my time. Buffing usually requires you to constantly add more compound as the old wears out or off. If your serious about buffing aluminum you should check this kit out.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

It has a heavy sisel wheel that may be sutable for the heavey scratch removal. You can also use it with any drill instead of dedicating a bench grinder or polisher.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think you're thinking of Cratex. These are rubber based with grit in them. They work nice for heavier stock removal and a basic finish that is free of deep scratches but it's not a replacement for a cloth buffing wheel and polishing compounds. As best the Cratex or equivalent will give you a smooth gouge free but only "brushed" finish.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well details are I bought a longbarrel nightmare from a kid that I thought had a rough silver paintjob, like from a paintbrush. Kids do strange things. However when I got it to the shop I found it had been introduced to a wire wheel to strip the anno. Why, I dont know, now I want to remove the marks and re anno. Someone was raving about a new wheel, preimpreged with a giving size grit. Think I will stick with my cloth wheel and compound, just going to be a loooong process. Thanks for the info though, caswells good idea, small wheels though, might like the liquid white rouge.....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

There isn't any wheel that will restore the flat planes or smooth curves. For that you'd be better off with various smooth cut files as a first line of attack. For tighter areas or special cases sandpaper backed up with a block or used folded with a layer of food container like plastic inside to help support it will help to restore a flat or straight lined surface from the undoubtedly wavy surface left by a wire wheel.

If it's got deep scratches like I strongly suspect you can cloth n' compound it until the cows come home but it'll still be scratched and wavy but now shiney to boot. You need to restore the basic shape to the surface before you polish.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts