mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

WGP Ergo reg performance

I recently got a used Ergo and last night I put it onto a marker to try out. It's on a blowback and I was trying to turn it down to as low a pressure plus a bit that I could get away with and still get a reliable recocking action. It's the one with a guage port so I've also got a 0-600 guage on it to play with.

It seems to be not too bad when it's up around 400 or so but as I try to put it down to around 250 the reg output gets very sporadic with dips to less than 150 and then a creep up to 300 to 400.

It's running on HPA

My next line of action is to strip it down, clean it and lube it. While I'm inside I'll also look for any serious binding or other causes of what appears to be a very inconsistent performance.

If anyone has any thoughts on what to look for or what sort of lube to use or any other suggestions to help make this thing more accurate and consistent I'll all eyes.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

The WGP ergo regs aren't set up to run at low pressures like 200psi by default. You can turn them down that far, but I think the spring will be out of it's "sweet spot" range, which is probably why you're getting such inconsistent output. You can always try a clean and lube (use air tool oil), but I doubt you'll see a marked improvement at that range.

They're decent regs though. I'd just set it for around 450 and run with that on your blowbacks. You won't see any performance improvement at lower pressures really.
If you really do want to run at low pressures, look for a reg designed to run that low. A PPS Fatty Stabilizer would be your best choice of course.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

You're right Reiner, it's definetly out of it's sweet range. I've got it screwed in almost all the way to get that low.

The Piranha definetly shoots with less kick and fuss at the lower pressures so I'm going to keep trying but probably not with this reg any more
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

I'm Marc, but you're welcome. Reiner posts as "Horizon".
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

( The guy with the glasses! )
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I had one on my Rainmaker for awhile, running around 350-400 psi. It was consistant but had significant shootdown when I hammered on it, however the RM is a horrible gas hog so that might have been the problem.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Id definitly perform a clean and lube, Then repeat your trial.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Marc, sorry 'bout the mixup. Got my usernames confused.

I'm sure it'll benifit from a clean n' lube but I have to agree with Marc that it's at it's limit at much under 300. The adjustment screw is less than 1/2 a turn from the travel limit when operating under 300. And that can't be good.

I'll probably switch it to a 'cocker and use something else for my superlight blowback.

Any suggestions for a CO2 friendly reg that's lighter than most and wouldn't mind operating in the 200 to 250 range? I know about the Stabilizers but I was hoping to get away with a smaller reg that isn't so pricey.

Mind you if I get a Stab then at least I can keep using the smaller and lighter CO2 bottles.

What I'd REALLY like is to run a small CP with a 12 oz CO2 with an antisyphon. Add on a Winchester hopper and I'd have a featherlight combo. The Piranha is light anyhow and I've been playing with making my own delrin bolts and using carbide tools to machine off some of the steel on the hammer. So far they are testing out nicely.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
If you really do want to run at low pressures, look for a reg designed to run that low. A PPS Fatty Stabilizer would be your best choice of course.
In addition to the reg, you'll also want to look at swapping springs and getting a higher-flow valve. Piranhas take Spyder valves, right? If so, you could get an AKA valve and a spring kit and start fiddling there. Just turning down the reg pressure could lead to a very inefficient and inconsistent marker. If the stock valve can't move enough air, you may not even be able to get it to a usable velocity.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, I haven't gotten to the point of fine tuning the valve. That's still to come. So far it's just been a test to see if the thing would even fire and get a feel for the advantage, if any, of running a lower pressure.

I played with it for about 10 minutes again today and Upgraded the reg to work at 350. It's a lot more cinsistent but I'm still noticing that the pressure drops and takes a good 1/3 to 1/2 second to come back up the 50 PSI worth of drop that the guage has time to register. That amount of time to recover does not fill me with confidence since if I rapid fire it the pressure drops to about 300 or a hair below and sits there until I stop firing.

So the question NOW is where is the bottleneck? Is it the Ergo reg is still not in it's happy place? Is it my HPA bottle reg output? Or is it the time the macro line needs to feed enough gas?

I need a T fitting and to put it onto the inlet of the reg with a guage on it so I can see any drop in the pressre at the inlet of the regulator.

But my first feeling is that the Ergo regs are not very good at doing their job. Even when I Upgraded it to 400 to see if it made a difference there was still a significant drop in the output pressure that took a visible amount of time to recover from.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts