Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

10 inch vs 12 inch deadlywind

I'll bet this has already been addressed somewhere, but I'm considering getting a 10 or 12 inch DW for my ETEK3. I've read that after 10 inches, there is no improvement for accuracy. So based on that, I'd prefer to go with 10 inches to keep everything as tight as possible. Is there any reason I should go with the 12 instead? Will accuracy suffer with the 10 inch or am I ok?
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Kilt Fan
You'll see no difference between the two.

Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Originally Posted by ironmaiden View Post
Is there any reason I should go with the 12 instead?
The longer barrel may help you aim better. Longer length makes it easier to sight down the barrel for some. Like me.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

The longer barrel may also help how you play. If your using an Etek 3, chances are you're playing speedball. The longer barrel will help you push it into bunkers more, and keep better cover.

In the end, the difference between the 10" and 12" are personal preference.
Dogs Forum, please subscribe

Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Everything posted above me is spot on as far as advice goes. I like the longer barrels for woods ball so I can stick the gun through cracks or barricades.

If the 12 inch barrel has more porting your gun will be quieter then the 10. IMO I would get the 12 inch.
LastHipWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post all the things!

I have had a 16" DW for two or three years now and if I could only keep one piece of all my paintball equipment that barrel would be it... So i vote 16" =D
Toxic Bakery

Originally Posted by bigbthebenji View Post
I'll be munching on this box for months!
tencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
suns out guns out
Send a message via AIM to freebird

aesthetics mostly but if you are playing speedball the longer barrel will help to push in the bunkers as stated above. I prefer a 14", but you will see no other difference between the 10" and 12".
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow.
MCB Feedback
AO Feedback

Hillbilly death machine.
Fuel'd by Diesel fuel, Miller High Life, Gunpowder, and Red Meat.
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shi Tamagutsu Ka

I can't think that there would be much difference in either accuracy or efficiency between 10" or 12" from the same manufacturer.
But I could be wrong, I haven't tried that brand.
For the most part, even two barrels the same length from the same company can have different characteristics that affect the ball going through it.
(If you disagree, I apologise. Merely my empiric observation based on personally aquired statistics, which are themselves based on paintballs which are never consistant.)

I can hit the same target with a 4" barrel on a Splatmaster that I can hit with an 18" CCI Ceramic on a Phantom.
I don't believe that length has as much to do with trajectory as the match to each individual paintball.

Sorry, got carried away with the response...

You don't have to believe this, but it's truth that I have personally measured up to 0.030" difference in diameter across the X-Y-Z axis of a single paintball.
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Fallen

i like the 14'' personally for my S5. for my etek 3 i just use the stock 12'' barrel. idk if my etek could handle 14inches of carbon fiber goodness haha.

Got Feedback?

WTB Impulse Parts
arkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I like speedball, but play mostly woodsball for convenience (the field is closer, and my friends don't play speedball). It seems like more people prefer the 12 inch of the two. Does anyone use a 10 inch and like the shorter length?
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply » Paintball » Ask The Experts