mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
BOB LONG!
 
Festa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, Ca

CCM Fan
I just recently unfused a .679 insert from one of my bored Phantom barrels but my method was a bit extreme since nothing else worked for me. Basically what I did was this:

- Found a dowel just bigger than the ID of my barrel and sanded it down to my barrel ID for about 2 feet.
- Wiggled into my barrel, then slammed the dowel on the ground (holding the barrel) until the wood worked its way up to the insert
- Once the dowel was at the insert, I poured hot water into the freak insert so it soaked into the wood and caused it to expand. Wait a few minutes, pour out excess.
-Put a few drops of penetrating lubricant ( Triflow or Silicon Spray works ) between the insert and the barrel, let it work its way in.
- Repeat slamming process until freak insert pops out

At this point the insert will be removed from the barrel but firmly wrapped around your wooden dowel. Same goes for the barrel. Next step fixes this:

- Saw off excess dowel down near the tip of the barrel so you have end up with your dowel inside two metal tubes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F
- Once at temp, place your barrel-cladden dowel into the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- The wood will smoke and turn to charcoal. In the process it will also shrink.
- Use oven mitts and pick up the metal tubes. The wood will slide right out just by tipping it out.
- Your house will smell like wood chips for a few days.
- Let them cool down
- Profit.

Like I said, it was extreme steps but this was the only way to get my insert out from my barrel.

PS: Don't forget to remove any o-rings from your barrel before you put anything in the oven =)
__________________

Feedback: MCB - Ebay
Festa is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods
 
volunteer paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sale Creek, Tennessee

Brass N Wood Fan
I had this same problem the first day I had my .670 brass insert. I was using the stock barrel bored for freaks. I went to my kitchen sink turned my hot water on all the way. placed a dowel in the barrel just to hold the barrel over my sink so convection wouldn't suck the heat from the barrel to the metal sink. Let the barrel set in the water for about 2 minutes. stuck my finger in the insert as far as it'd go then pulled my finger to get it set then twisted while I pulled and it popped right out. Hope this helps.
__________________
Anything worth doing is worth over doing, Moderation is for Cowards

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith


volunteer paintball is offline  
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr. Angel Pump
 
kill-n-spree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Turlock,CA.

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I had a insert stick on me once. I cut a small piece of innertube rubber and I slipped it into the insert. I cut the piece just big enough to cover about 2 inches of the inside of the insert. I then took my long needle nose pliers and placed them inside the insert. I put the back in my vice and I spread the pliers apart pushing against the rubber and pulled it out while pushing out. Worked like a champ.
__________________
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra SS LCD,Rev-i,Dark Angel IR3,2K5 Speed,KP3,Rasta A4 Fly.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1921680
kill-n-spree is online now  
Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
finally down to one gun
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisville, KY

CCM Fan
victory is mine and the winning idea is ...... thanks a ton guys just got it out like 5 seconds ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festa View Post
I just recently unfused a .679 insert from one of my bored Phantom barrels but my method was a bit extreme since nothing else worked for me. Basically what I did was this:

- Found a dowel just bigger than the ID of my barrel and sanded it down to my barrel ID for about 2 feet.
- Wiggled into my barrel, then slammed the dowel on the ground (holding the barrel) until the wood worked its way up to the insert
- Once the dowel was at the insert, I poured hot water into the freak insert so it soaked into the wood and caused it to expand. Wait a few minutes, pour out excess.
-Put a few drops of penetrating lubricant ( Triflow or Silicon Spray works ) between the insert and the barrel, let it work its way in.
- Repeat slamming process until freak insert pops out

At this point the insert will be removed from the barrel but firmly wrapped around your wooden dowel. Same goes for the barrel. Next step fixes this:

- Saw off excess dowel down near the tip of the barrel so you have end up with your dowel inside two metal tubes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425F
- Once at temp, place your barrel-cladden dowel into the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- The wood will smoke and turn to charcoal. In the process it will also shrink.
- Use oven mitts and pick up the metal tubes. The wood will slide right out just by tipping it out.
- Your house will smell like wood chips for a few days.
- Let them cool down
- Profit.

Like I said, it was extreme steps but this was the only way to get my insert out from my barrel.

PS: Don't forget to remove any o-rings from your barrel before you put anything in the oven =)
__________________
USMC
Currently have: Insight NG
Frenchy is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006

You may want to make up a gripper gizmo for future times this is an issue. A gripper gizmo would use a 2 inch section of rubber tubing from an autoparts store that fits into the insert closely but easily. Then get a long allen cap bolt that fits the inner hole of the tubing. A plastic washer made up for the other ... ah hell, a sketch would be easier to show you ......

It would be nice if you can find some nylon washers for the ends of the tubing but if you can't then any old plastic material that is thick and stiff can be drilled and then roughly cut down and sanded so they just fit the smallest insert. The head of the bolt can be wrapped with a layer or two of tape or a bit of vinyl tubing put over it to avoid the steel scratching the insert. Similarly the handle, if it's a metal, could be wrapped with tape or some heat shrink used on it to ensure it's non scratching.

Heed the warning to only JUST use enough expansion pressure to grip the insert. This thing can generate a LOT of pressure and if you tighten it too much it'll just stretch the insert and lock it in place. I suspect most of the time just putting the FIGG into the insert and pressing it slightly sideways will "lock" it well enough to pull out the inserts. You'll likely only need to actuall expand it into place for the tight stubborn inserts.

If any of you make this up please PM me to let me know how it works out for ya just in case I lose track of this thread.

Attached Images
File Type: gif freak insert grabber.gif (65.4 KB, 1611 views)
__________________
I had a "Paintball God" moment once.
Like Al Bundy's Polk High football moment I live on
for the slim chance of repeating that one time
miracle in some small way.........

Last edited by CaptainAmerica; 02-24-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: direct embedded image
Railgun is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods
 
volunteer paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sale Creek, Tennessee

Brass N Wood Fan
a less injinuitive idea is 600 or 800 grit sand paper I'm talking the highest you can find. Find the part thats sticking and just sand a little at a time until it slides freely. It also gives the insert a cool spiral finish
__________________
Anything worth doing is worth over doing, Moderation is for Cowards

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith


volunteer paintball is offline  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
BOB LONG!
 
Festa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, Ca

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat_paint533 View Post
victory is mine and the winning idea is ...... thanks a ton guys just got it out like 5 seconds ago
Yay! Glad it helped. Another insert saved!

Funny story with my barrel: When I set it down to cool in my sink I didn't realize there was an errant refried bean left in the basin. Well, when my scorching hot barrel touched the bean it insta-carbonized the little sucker and discolored my poor silver barrel. Now that refried bean stain will forever haunt me as it ain't coming out.

@ Railgun: That gripper is a great idea. I had an old wine-saver thing that operated very similarly with a lever but it wasn't big enough to do the job. Your idea solves that! I'll have to make one.
__________________

Feedback: MCB - Ebay
Festa is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
DSL is new here
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sandown, NH/ Worcester, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festa View Post
Yay! Glad it helped. Another insert saved!

Funny story with my barrel: When I set it down to cool in my sink I didn't realize there was an errant refried bean left in the basin. Well, when my scorching hot barrel touched the bean it insta-carbonized the little sucker and discolored my poor silver barrel. Now that refried bean stain will forever haunt me as it ain't coming out.

@ Railgun: That gripper is a great idea. I had an old wine-saver thing that operated very similarly with a lever but it wasn't big enough to do the job. Your idea solves that! I'll have to make one.
They sell the same thing the the hardware section its like a drink plug or boat plug or w/e the call it.
__________________
WPI BS/ME '12 MS/ME '13

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Railgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006

Another ready made option would be an expanding rubber sanding drum mandrel if you can find one that is really close to fitting the smallest insert. 678 or so is an oddball size for sanding drum mandrels though.
__________________
I had a "Paintball God" moment once.
Like Al Bundy's Polk High football moment I live on
for the slim chance of repeating that one time
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline  
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
ScatterBrained
 
hellbatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Another ready made option would be an expanding rubber sanding drum mandrel if you can find one that is really close to fitting the smallest insert. 678 or so is an oddball size for sanding drum mandrels though.
Saw this thread earlier...this is the exact thing I was trying to think of!
Tried describing it to my dad...he couldn't think what they were either...but basically said "It's thin aluminum and you could very well warp it with such a thing."

-curtis
__________________
Charlie Fox Crew Paintballer
Customer of Flo's Flowers and Paintball
Pico Rivera, California
MCB Feedback
hellbatman is offline  
Closed Thread

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC