mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

9v batteries

Ok, so I keep uping my technology, and now I have an eVLution 2 with a Z-board (purchased here on MCB!).

This thing eats batteries. After a case of paint, it's done. So, my questions are as follows:

1) Are rechargable 9v batteries worth the money? How long do they typically last? Can anyone recommend any brands?

2) What normal, non-rechargable batteries do you use in your markers and loaders? Does anyone on MCB use those special "paintball 9v batteries" that are being advertised now?

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
get 9.6v rechargeables, as normal "9v" NiMH batteries are only 8ish volts.

Typical alkaline batteries run upwards of 12v when they are fresh, so 9.6 wont hurt at all.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've never seen an alkaline putting out 12 volts even when new. More like 9.8'ish and it falls off quite quickly. You sure you're not thinking about the "9 volt" wall wart supplies that typically put out 12'ish until plugged into the load?

Anyhow yeah, I'd suggest the 9.6 options as well. Or if you've got the room or can work with the guy get a custom fitted pack of nimh cells made up by the folks at www.cheapbatterypacks.com . I've personally bought a few orders from them and they ship fast and reliably. They are a sponsor on one of the RC model sites I'm on as well and if they messed up much they would be kicked off or at least there would be bad feedback. But all I've ever seen about them is good stuff. Or you can shoot for the basic pre-packed 9.6's. This one seems like the current best deal at 230 mah...

Batteries Plus - MHR9V POWEREX PAINTBALL 9.6V NIMH BATTERY 1-PACK

And then you'll need one of these to charge them up.

Batteries Plus - MH-C490F-DC POWEREX PAINTBALL 4-POSITION 9.6V NIMH BATTERY CHARGER
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

MCB, once again you don't fail to give me more information than I know what to do with.

Wow... cheapbatterypacks.com by far exceeds my knowledge of battery technology... looks like I will go with the batteriesplus option.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
MCB, once again you don't fail to give me more information than I know what to do with.

Wow... cheapbatterypacks.com by far exceeds my knowledge of battery technology... looks like I will go with the batteriesplus option.
Sorry to overload you

The idea would be to email the guy and send along some pics of the area the batteries fit into and the size of the total cavity. He may well suggest that a suitable mod is to loose the 9volt clips and sub in a smaller inline connector and that he would then make up a custom fitted 19.2 volt pack from 16 small Nimh cells that would be fitted into one of his nice shrinkwrap packs. Going this way may allow the use of larger capacity cells for a total gain in duration over the two 9.6's. Or perhaps he could build it into the cover but have a small bump with the last 2 or 4 cells outside but suitably protected against hits. I have no idea how much he would charge for such work but he custom makes packs from raw cells for a very small charge so I doubt that doing this for your loader would be super pricy over the cell cost. Maybe $20 more if he has to build it onto the lid and go in and wire up a connector to your loader's board? Or if you would be happy with the pack sticking out slightly and not use the lid but go with some velcro straps or good ol' duct tape to hold it in place?
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

As for life on the rechargeables - well, all manufacturers claim 500+ full cycles. I run a whole pile of wireless mics on rechargeable batteries - with heavy use we replace every couple years - and that's 120+ full drain charge cycles a year.

You do notice a slight decrease in life of the batteries after a couple hundred charges - but at that point you've already recouped the cost multiple times.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts