mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

View Poll Results: Who's got the best purging on/off ASA?
CP Dovetail 15 31.91%
Planet Eclipse OOPS (Not the POPS) 15 31.91%
Dangerous Power flip-open 13 27.66%
Brand X, Dummy! 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Aesthetically, I like the CP, but functionally, I LOVE the RAPS. Ive never had any problems with the RAPS blowing o-ring either.
Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I currently use CP direct mounts on all my markers. I like them a lot. Only real issue is that the fitting comes off the side and they are pretty long. Not a big deal, you don't even notice in game. Very smooth and easy to turn.

I had a BL ASA on my Autococker and I really liked it, but I couldn't justify buying another.

The RAPS ASA is pretty cool. Never owned one but my friend has one on his G4 and it's a solid ASA.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gnarly!

Voted for CP dovetail (i assume you've got a rail already?). I've got a CP direct mount but i hate how it sticks out the back so much. Probably so tanks don't have clearance issues (guage hitting the grip or whatever), but it really sticks out too much even for that. CP on/off rebuilds are pretty simple.

LOVE the Bob Long Gear Drive, HATE the price (sold some old stuff to get one, so wasn't really a ding to the wallet). But i'm with Twilight, i hope to never rebuild it cuz i imagine it to be complex inside (although i could be wrong).

I always keep a Dye Airport on/off on my dm's; not because i prefer how they work (knob-turning isn't as smooth) but because they look "right" on a dm.

That's really the extent of my experience with bleeding on/offs. Other on/offs i've had would cut the air supply to the gun, but wouldn't relieve the pressure to the tank (Function push-button, Hybrid push-button). No experience with DP or PE on/offs. Guess that makes my vote biased, lol.

I'm starting to get more into standard asas simply because the majority of them are direct mounts, and i've got a mid-pressure tank so unscrewing it isn't hard & no threads get eaten. I've got a Redz Grenade asa, Bob Long Xpress mount, and a plain dovetail that are working out pretty well.

Last edited by nerdcore; 07-01-2011 at 12:32 PM.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Nerdcore, I have nothing as yet, hence my advised deliberations here.

To the rest, should have posted this initially, but several of your comments have reminded me that I do not intend to run macro line, and while I much prefer direct mount units, the CP direct mount is a honking school bus of proportions.

If they made one as small as the dovetail I'd be all over it, and any other good ones out there.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback so far!

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Gnarly!

You running steel braided instead?
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
DSL is new here

BigOldschool, Did NDZ get you a new knob for free? I know that they've done well for me in the past with customer service. Even replaced a whole asa because of a cosmetic anno defect (And I didnt even complain, just asked if it was the normal finish because it kind of looked cool).

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think the 07 - 08 style OOPS is the best. It purges, the knob is easily accessible and doesn't have many turns, and the o-rings are very easy to replace. I like the CPs as well, although they're a bit bulkier.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
You running steel braided instead?
Yep!

NSG, that is interesting, as I had imagined that the OOPS was a bit bigger than the CP. Or at least longer in terms of the knob.

Leafy, the NDZ were originally on the list as well, but seemed they were maybe a step off in overall quality compared to the other three. Maybe not?

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Menace; 07-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Deluxe super psychedelic

Brass and Wood Fan
My vote is for the DP, one of the easiest on/off's I have ever used, so much so that I got a rail system to use it on multiple markers. I have in the space of about 2 years had to replace one oring but oring monkey sells a bunch for like $3 and it is not that much of a hassle at all to replace the orings if they blow, takes probably less than 3 mins.

Photo blog: http://bluemorocco.blogspot.com/
If you are straight with me, I am straight with you : http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Created by Shade, stolen from foughtwolf's sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatmaster12 View Post
If I didn't play pump I wouldn't play, simple as that.
wrongbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
2cents

Cp: Solid, reliable design that is proven to work. With gloves on it isn't hard to turn but it is tough to manipulate soemtimes and I once lost the pin out of one. Purges and works.

DP RAPS: I love it, even with gloves just flip the lever and your good to go. O-rings will fail on any ASA you buy at one point or another. Purges and works.

I have to admit I like the DP ASA better then CP, I have used CP for years untill I bought a G3 SpecR and the RAPS won me over. You won't be dissapointed with the RAPS.

Ebay Feedback
MCB Feedback
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts