mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Send a message via AIM to PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL
PJ, didn't that gun have a freak back? I may be mistaken, but if it is a freak back that'd be why it seems so short. It would need a "front" on there...
Good question, I don't know to be honest. I didn't have anything Freak until I got a Frantom I and inserts for my Phantom. Blackrain didn't leave the complete description up long on MCB after I paid for it. I need to get hold of him or Rainman and find out for sure, that would certainly make sense. Just goes to show you that even an old dog still has a lot to learn about different guns and such!

**4/8/06 EDIT**

Just heard back from Blackrain. The short anno barrel is a Freak back, so now to find a front to go with it. I've got a little work to do on it (insert the new internals, adjust pump rod) and it'll be good to go!

Last edited by PJ; 04-08-2006 at 02:12 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Glad everything is working out. Sorry about taking the description off so fast. I should have left it up. Sorry. I bought those new internals for that very reason. Even the sear and trigger are new. Once you adjust that pump and time it properly you will not need that sear mod. Like I said it needs TLC. How are the other barrels working out? All of them are also brand new. None have been used in a game or testing except the freak back. Keep me up to date on the progress.
Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

I've actually taken a liking ot the Brass Eagle barrel. Of coourse, once I get a Freak front for the matching anno'd back, I think that may take over as my fav. Time to replace the internals and reread the Sterling page info to see about getting it timed right. Even shooting it as-is, it's probably one of the most accurate guns I've shot in a while.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well the new internals are factory timmed so issues should clear up right away. I'm looking for the frame and the old rail too. I'll get those out to you as soon as I find them. I'm having another huge sale of stuff so it's with those parts in a plastic tub. Just think you broke in a virgin barrel lol. I'm glad I was able to turn them down properly. Those are Raptor barrels. So if you buy anymore those are what you need then they need to be turned down.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 04-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to Snyiper Send a message via Yahoo to Snyiper

There was someone who has the compression barrel system I think it was a Python system for a carter they did a review on MCB. Well I was impressed and just aquired another Sterling and so I called Vic and he is going to make me a stainless back that goes from Sterling to cocker barrels with the inserts I just have to send him the gun and Barrel since he dosn't have that thread. I am hoping this will be the last barrel I need for the Sterling. And the price is just a little more than the freak back for Raptors on Ebay. I will let you know when its done.

Players "Play the game with Honor and Dignity or just wipe cause you suck"
Snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

I took some time tonight to swap out the old internals (pump guide and pickup assembly) and that helped greatly. Now the problem is that it won't fire unless I either hold the pump forward or stuff the pump arm into the bolt hole so I can tighten down the set screw in the bolt to hold the pump arm. If I use the set screw and get it to where it fires without holding the pump, then the pump stroke is rough again.

It's strange, but if I don't hold the pump forward, as I pull the trigger it pulls the pump back aobut 1/16" or so, just enough so ti won't fire. Pull the pump forward and it shoots. I'll mess around with it some more to see what I can do to get it to fire easily.

However, with all that said, the new internals made a world of difference in the pump stroke - much smoother than before (unless I use the set screw to hold the arm). Now to find a cheap Freak tip for the Freak back.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

PJ if you are having problems with it

I'll be happy to refund your money. It's no problem to me. I'd rather have you happy with a working sterling you can play with. You can put your refund toward a nicer one. I'm not trying to say that I sold you a Lemon but my rep is on the line too. I would rather refund you then you have to fiddle with it. Let me get it working and I'll offer it to you first once it is up and running great. So please email me with your paypal and I'll send it off tonight if I get it before 10 pm washington state time. It would make me feel alot better if we did this.
Thanks,
Blackrain
email me at : blackrain4142@msn.com
Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here is the single, best source of Sterling information.

http://www.geocities.com/lea_wu/sterling/index.html

If you look under General Q&A you will find the Sterling animation.

The Sterling is not able to shoot unless the pump is in the forward position to align the sear with the hammer release.....

You can see how the grip frame alignment (with the sear in it) is important for the proper contact with the hammer.....

Walker
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
PJ
Retired from paintball

Blackrain, don't worry about it, I'm learning about Sterlings by doing this. Like I said before, it shoots great and I really like it, just have to iron out this one kink and she'll be good to go!

Walker, yep, already had that one bookmarked and opened up while I was tearing the Sterling down. I just didn't think that such a small distance would affect the firing like it did. I may try it without the spacer rail and see if that takes care of it.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

NP

I just want you to be happy . Ok please keep me updated how it's going. Once you get it dialed in,it has a MAD auto trigger. Try taking the spring off the pump rod. I just added that on. I know it shoots great. I'll look for all the stock stuff tomorrow and get it out to you this week.
Thanks,
Blackrain

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts