mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

In 24 years I have never seen steel braid blow out.....eventually the seams need to be resealed (joints - use of tephlon tape == win) but the hose itself and the fittings I have never ever witnessed critical failure on.

I have seen someone get a 2 inch scar when his macro line blew and bad luck slashed across his hand.

99 times out of 100 its fine - but honestly - properly fitted steel braid is sexy, will never critically fail you, and isnt all that expensive in the grand scheme of things....

heck you can always go phantom steel tube conversion too =P
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

I run macro on a lot of co2 guns, and I have NEVER blown a line.
play every week. play in temps into the 90's. I run siphon tanks with pure liquid.
macro is perfectly fine for co2. I don't like colored macro it doesn't seem as good. and I got a batch of macro line from one company that was so crap it blew with compressed air.
As a general rule: if its soft and flexible it needs a thick wall and if its stiff then it can have a thin wall. just because you buy your macro from a paintball guy doesn't mean its the right stuff

I have seen people leave their gun lying in the sun and it will blow, but I have also seen steel braided blow too. steel braided is just macro with a steel mesh to make it more robust but it will still fail if left in the sun.

I have guns that run co2 and have had the same piece of macro on it for 13 years. macro line was the standard on Tippmann Prolites/Pro-am since 92 with no problems.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
BACK TO WORK !!!

Brass N Wood Fan
ive had macro fail on co2 once....... now i only run it on hpa guns ..

** i maintain 3rd shift hours so if i dont respond right away during the day - ya know why

my feedback :

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=488994
randall ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I had 20 ounces of liquid CO2 dump onto the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger when some of the thick-walled nylon stuff blew.
Went to stainless braid with the teflon inside and the brass fittings from McMaster-Carr, looks way cooler, you can polish the brass like a mirror, and have never looked back.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

I use the thick walled stuff with CO2 and I must admit I dont have the greatest of luck with it.

While I have never had a line catostrophically fail on me, I find they often leak at the fitting's. It's a pain in the ***.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalpaintball View Post
I have guns that run co2 and have had the same piece of macro on it for 13 years. macro line was the standard on Tippmann Prolites/Pro-am since 92 with no problems.
Macroline is defined by its fittings, specifically the "push-pull" fittings. I would not call any paintball-related tubing "macroline/microline" if it didn't utilize push-pull fittings.

Beyond that, the tubing utilized by Tippmans, from the SMG-60 up to the 68-Carb utilized SAE-rated hydraulic-gauge 3000psi tubing.

Thats the point I am making. There is a world of difference between 3000psi tubing using high-strength compression fittings, and 500psi tubing using push-pull (macroline) fittings.

And thats always been the problem for a small industry like paintball. You can find higher strength tubing, but it costs more. Certain webstores have discovered they can puchase large amounts of 500psi tubing for 10 a foot. The 800psi stuff is 5 times more expensive.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Man in Tights

If you're set on macroline (because taking your marker apart requires you to remove fittings, like with an Automag valve), look at Air Soldier Products. They have really thick, stiff, high-rated macroline.

1000 psi working pressure, 3000 psi burst. ASP Online Store: Macroline hose

I use it on my (HPA, granted) 1200 psi Tac One.

Though be careful anyways, as far as I understand the liquid itself can be damaging to the line also...? (i.e. if you shoot fast liquid gets in the line and damages it).
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

I know this is an old post but as an after thought I figured I d bring up that im going to be running dual regged co2 with an anti siphon so im not crazy worried about liquid getting in there. And on top of that the piece of hose is hgoing to be like no more than 2 maybe 3 inches long. Does that changr anything
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
I would sugest it. Last time u used macro and co2 i had it blow up in my hands. I use strictly hpa except for 12is now.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a store owner we use a lot of macro line. if its good quality you wont have any problems.
As a customizer/hacker I do a lot of oddball things with guns and I use macro with co2 all the time. I run dual siphon co2 on my VM68 with a piece of macro almost 12 inches long.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts