mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Ask The Experts (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/)
-   -   macroline and co2 (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/179084-macroline-co2.html)

Keebler 10-14-2011 01:09 PM

macroline and co2

Do these two mix well. I've heard of people having issues with macrolines while running co2. I've heard they dryrot or something over time and eventually crack.

Schmitti 10-14-2011 01:31 PM

If it's the thick walled stuff you should be okay. But inspect it regularly for cracks or spots where the color of the material has changed... doesn't look shiny.

And always keep an extra length of it in your tool kit just in case.

E

Hawkeye20 10-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmitti (Post 2043669)
If it's the thick walled stuff you should be okay. But inspect it regularly for cracks or spots where the color of the material has changed... doesn't look shiny.

And always keep an extra length of it in your tool kit just in case.

E

I heard of someone wrapping their macro in thick black tape, just in case it decided to explode. Maybe a good idea--save your hearing or finger :)

SD.Pump 10-14-2011 01:58 PM

Boom!

CO2 will blow a hole in it on a 90 degree day. Or if you leave the tank in the sun.

Spider! 10-14-2011 02:01 PM

Try not to bend it too much. That's the only failure I've had on CO2 macro, where it was bent in a U and regularly manipulated. Blew out right at the top of the U where you should expect it to. :rolleyes:

HP_Lovecraft 10-14-2011 02:45 PM

THe problem is pretty simple. Co2 on a hot day is about 1500psi, and can be 2000+ if your tanks is overfilled.

Most macroline is rated for 500psi, and some is rated for 800psi. Most fittings are rated around 500psi.

Generally, its barely enough to safely run hpa. The thinner stuff for LP-output tanks, and the thicker for HP-output. I'd never run it on co2, unless downstream a vented regulator.

But to be fair, lots of people will say they have used it for "years with hardly any problems", and you can sometimes find stronger line and fittings.

But you reach a point where you have to question why its important? Braided stainless is far stronger, and flexible. Its just not as convenient. If you don't like the looks of braided, and willing to accept some risk, that use the macroline. Microline is a better choice, as its stronger (given the same specs), or setup a hardline. Hardlines are always sexier.

Keebler 10-14-2011 02:52 PM

Cool all good things to know thanks all

Studwiser 10-15-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft (Post 2043764)
THe problem is pretty simple. Co2 on a hot day is about 1500psi, and can be 2000+ if your tanks is overfilled.

Most macroline is rated for 500psi, and some is rated for 800psi. Most fittings are rated around 500psi.

Generally, its barely enough to safely run hpa. The thinner stuff for LP-output tanks, and the thicker for HP-output. I'd never run it on co2, unless downstream a vented regulator.

But to be fair, lots of people will say they have used it for "years with hardly any problems", and you can sometimes find stronger line and fittings.

But you reach a point where you have to question why its important? Braided stainless is far stronger, and flexible. Its just not as convenient. If you don't like the looks of braided, and willing to accept some risk, that use the macroline. Microline is a better choice, as its stronger (given the same specs), or setup a hardline. Hardlines are always sexier.

I dont know what type of macro line you are using, i have been told that it is rated from 700 - 1100 psi. As most tanks have a high output pressure of 850psi then we would be seeing alot more failure on a daily basis if they were only rated from 500-800 psi. Keep in mind that tank regulators are usually about +/- 50-100 psi. :old:

As for the main question keep some spares in your gearbag and inspect it for cracks or discoloration like schmitt said. You should be fine with it .

woouulf 10-15-2011 07:03 AM

IMHO,Never..Its just not worth the risk,,My buddy got hit with a fragment with his line exploded and made his hand bleed...Ya just never know.

Seymour 10-15-2011 08:06 AM

At what point would braided line and its fittings blow out?