mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mag or Axe for Tourney-ball?

Might be getting in to some tourney play through my college and looking at getting a gun that can hang. So the question is could I keep up with a RT ULE or Tac One mag or should I go with an Axe or an electro? I would really prefer to keep it mechanical if possible but certainly don't want to hold my team back. I play a lot of pump so im used to making my shots count so don't think I really need to lay down a crazy rate of fire or anything. I really love the look of the Tac One's and I play a lot of woods and Scenario ball as well so would be nice to have one gun that could be used well for both. Not looking to spend over $500. Thoughts?
BlindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I'd much rather have the Automag, but the Axe is going to be a more competitive gun.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I'd much rather have the Automag, but the Axe is going to be a more competitive gun.
Same answer, would love a mag but the axe has less leaglity problems

Because you KNOW someone will jump up and down complaining that an xvalve mag can shoot 34bps because he saw it on youtube.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ramping is for the weak

AKA Fan
emag...? Because with that you can cap it.
but I use to play on a team with mags and we used RT valves back then, and the places we played at were ok as long as they didn't rapid fire like crazy. I could still get some trigger bounce but nothing really over 12bps...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
robander3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
I do things & like stuff

Axe will definitely have you be more of an asset for your team.

bigbthebenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah..... but it uses batteries . Haha I just really dislike the idea of electronic markers, I know they are sweet and all but they just loose so many cool points in my book for some reason.
BlindSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
BOB LONG!

CCM Fan
The goal of tournies is to win so pick whatever gun you think will help you win and forget the 'cool points'. Practicality and function trump all. This ain't a fashion show... or is it? =)
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

For the money, go with the AXE. I hate batteries but for tourney you need the space gun to be competitive. The AXE does really well in the woods also.
Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
I do things & like stuff

Exactly, winning tourneys isn't about "cool points". You'll get those points by WINNING the tournament. I'm generally a HUGE advocate of mags, but the fact is, unless your using an emag or something easily walkable, you just really can't control the lanes like you can with an electro.

Also, since you mention you will be playing college tourneys, I am guessing you are going to play some part of the NCPA circuit. That means it is x-ball style with 12.5 bps ramping, so everyone is going to be ramping, and if your using a mag, you won't be. I play NCPA too, we'll be going to nationals this year! It does help having one of the ironmen on our team though, lol.

bigbthebenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
You can always detuned your mag if needed. Nothing against the axe, I have a mini myself but the look on the other team's faces will be priceless knowing they just got owned by a marker that was made back in the fall of 2003 and really hasn't change much since then.
TOTShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts