mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

Information on an old Sheridan P-Series.

I looked it up on Vintage Rex and the best match was the P-12. It did not mention a year these things were made. Does anyone have any idea what year(s) they were in production?

Here is a picture:

I have a few technical questions as well. How many shots per 12 gram should I expect? The few times I have used it I have gotten 10 to 12 good shots per 12 gram. I also have a hard time getting the cartridges out. Just about every time I have to smack the side of the marker and/or dry fire it to get the spent 12 gram out. I use Crossman 12 grams because I can get those locally. If another brand would give me better luck I would have to order them online.

Thanks for the help.
DarkShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
It is a P-12, I don't have any exact production dates but it was probably made late 1980s. You should be getting more than 10 good shots from a 12 gram, probably more like 20-30 based on my experience with PGPs. The 12 grams could be underfilled (i've heard of that being an issue in recent years). Crossman cartridges usually do okay though. The stuck 12 grams could be a couple things. Is everything clean and free of corrosion? Do the cartridges slide in and out easily before they are punctured? Try putting a drop of oil (for paint/airguns or air tool) on the tip of a few 12 grams before using to make sure the face seal is lubed up well. Also, don't overtighten the 12 gram changer plug, it needs to be moderately snug, but you shouldn't need to really crank on it. See if those things help...

Last edited by WilD; 01-17-2012 at 11:19 AM.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Out of a stock sheridan with a fairly long barrel, you are getting about the right amount of shots, in my experience. If you are handy with tools you can tune it yourself or you can send it in to palmers. The stuck 12gram issue is possibly because your face seal is going bad. They tend to make 12grams stick to them once they go bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I guess it would depend on ones deffinition of "good" shots. I don't have direct experience with a p-12, which I'm sure does suffer a penalty for the long barrel, but a stock pmi-1 or PGP should be able to take at least 20 (of what I consider) good shots before needing to change the 12 gram. I'm honeslty a bit surprised a P-12 would be that much worse.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Wild, they slide in and out before being punctured. I will try the oil on the 12 gram seal to see if that will help. Also I have a tendency to over tighten things without realizing it. I will try to be more cautious about how tight I make the plug.

Sniper42, thanks for the advice on the face seal. That is something to look into. I am sure all the seals need to be replaced. I got the marker used a few years back and have never disassembled it to see to inner workings. Tuning it sounds like a good idea. If it can be done with a dremel, a drill press, and a cordless drill I am sure I can do it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I got about 5 good shots and 15 bloopers on my stock PGP before tuning...I'm not surprised when I hear horrible shot counts on Sheridans. They are awful in stock form.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Wild, to me a good shot is one that goes 10 feet or more and can still break. Hopefully that puts things into perspective.

Now I just need to find a how to for tuning a Sheridan. Looks like I will be spending some time in the Sheridan section for a while now.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I'd definitely replace the face seal. Once a seal gets old it gets gummy first then it gets brittle. You're probably in gummy stage.

From a consistency standpoint not only do you face the task of a valve tune as russc has mentioned, but also because Sheridan's have fixed barrels and paint is shrinking your efficiency is also going to be low. Unless you have some widgets you have a bundle of air flowing around your ball as it's trying to project it out. Just another idea.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

No widgets on the barrel, at least not yet. I am not even sure how to go about adding widgets since it is a fixed barrel.

Hopefully my home field still has seals for this thing. I know they have been in business for 20+ years and have some older stuff still laying around.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
if not, check with MaD on here, he has been selling seal kits. If he doesn't have any, hit me up and I'll see what I can do for you. You'll also need a valve tool if you don't already have one. Titus on here has the best prices on valve tools, so if you need one, hit him up.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts