mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

E-98C: E-Bolt or E-Grip

I've been losing my passion for paintball recently, and I figured some good old nostalgia may rekindle the flame. My first seriouly used gun was a Tippy 98C (meaning I had some more before, but the 98 was with me when I really got into it), and I've always thought they just felt "right" because of it. Not to mention, the 98 was THE tinker fodder when I was first getting into paintball, so I've had a Super 98 project in the back of my mind for a long time, as a nod to the days gone by (for my playing generation at least).

So do I want an E- Bolt or an E-Grip?

I know the E-Bolt is far superior in performance as an electro, but the E-Grip has a major advantage: versatility. I play scenario, so if my batteries die or it starts raining, just pull the electrics and I have a solid mech. An E- Bolt would be a dedicated conversion. So, is the performance gain on an E-Bolt better, or is the versatility of the E-Grip more practical?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

If you'er looking for a practical marker go for the e-grip. Its probably going to be cheaper, the performance is close to an e-bolt, and its much easier to to maintain as parts are still made for it and shops know how to service it.

If your looking for a cool piece of history that can still perform on the field than go with the e-bolt. Just know you are going to be doing all the work if something goes wrong, including tracking down or fabricating parts. Plus you'll have to track one down as they are not made anymore.

Its kinda like asking to which is better a phantom or a nelspot. The phantom and e-grip are common solid performers, the nelspot and e-bolt have way more history, uniqueness, and wow factor to them but they dont perform any better.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I already hav an E-Bolt tracked down, and for a decent price. Kinda. But you are right, the E-Bolt is a bit tougher to find, which adds more to the appeal, IMO. It's not so much 100% practicality, but history and coolness play a roll as well. It's just the practicality can'tbe ignored. Were I to get an E-Grip, I would hunt down a pre-Platinum Custom Pro, as, in my opinion, they were the last model of "respectable" 98. Also, aren't the Platinums made overseas?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
DSL is new here

If you have a 98 custom the e bolt will not fit, but the e-grip will if you have the punch out panels in the casting (you will know if you take the grips off and there is a square hole in the drivers side). If you really want an e-bolt find a gun with it already in it, for find an older style model 98, the ones with the gills on the body where the bolt is.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Nah, brah. Only the Psycho Ballistics kit fits the gilled M98. BSI and GTA kits were designed for the 98C, and won't fit the gilled M98. I know my way around the E-Bolts, and have owned a few. Of course, with some work, anything will fit anything.

The thing is, I've never had a chance to mess with an E-Grip, so I don't know how they compare.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts