mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
The name's Rick Bi**h

Yeah I was think for how it looks and what it comes with I figure maybe $200. But thanks guys for your feedback.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Those guns have a very interesting history. Rich Breen helped design and/or make them (and the Rangers), then it became the Warrior and was made by a small shop and sold by him when Bud decided to pursue the Sniper platform. After Rich sold the design to Pro Star Labs, it became the Pro Star Warrior. Pro Star made a bunch of design upgrades. But the old shop that used to manufacture them started selling the old guns with the Warrior name... After a cease and desist, their gun became (something else, can't remember). Pro Star made the Warrior, and then released a higher-end version called the Kodiak.

Which is why Moonweasel thinks the WGP Commando looks like the Kodiak.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
The name's Rick Bi**h

Wow history 101. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
That's the master course in paintball history. Hardly worth knowing unless you have a neat gun in your collection that's worth talking about.

Something of interest is that some of the Commandos had the same wrinkle-dink finish that the California Cobras had... That was Rich Breen's more famous product. I don't know if that indicates who's garage the respective guns were finished in, but it's another talking point... Yours would've been finished in Bud's garage if that was the case.

I DO hope that you plan on keeping that. It's a cool gun, and all the hands involved in it would rather see you play with it than whore it away.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
The name's Rick Bi**h

Sounds good alpha434. I think I will keep it. After all it is a nelson based and it is an autococker. I love my phantom and this command will make some heads turn at my local field. Thank for the knowledge.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

The original Commandos were built by Bud for the Master Blasters. They had threaded barrels, the same quick-changer that you see on this piece, and a double-pinned pump which wrapped only 3/4 the way around the barrel. It rode upon spring-loaded ball bearings at the end of the handle. It sported your standard Daisy/Nelspot handle/trigger assembly. These are the 15 "uber-rare" type of Commando. The next version, is what you see here. These count in the low hundreds. The next version is the "Ranger" version, which has the WGP handle, the pump you see hare and "Commando" on the frame. These too, number in the low hundreds. At the end of this run, the gun was re-named "Ranger", and the numbers sold were in the thousands.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was referencing another rare gun not the commando. my apologies..
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I was always under the impression that the Commando's had a Kodiak frame to begin with, and then moved to the sheridan frame... Which eventually became the Ranger, and had a new pump handle for the Ranger.
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
The name's Rick Bi**h

This gun I got, came from the original owner. He said he never did anything to it. He just never used it,but he had it tucked away in a box in his garage for over twenty plus years.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I was always under the impression that the Commando's had a Kodiak frame to begin with, and then moved to the sheridan frame... Which eventually became the Ranger, and had a new pump handle for the Ranger.
Absolutely not. The date of manufacture were WAY wrong for there to be a Kodiak frame on the Commando... Also, you'd find that the WGP guns don't have hardened sears. This was one of the 140 (minor) improvements that Pro Star made to the Warrior before they even designed or made the Kodiak.

It's far more likely that Guy Cooper used Bud or Rich's aesthetic when designing the Kodiak frames.

The Kodiak guns and frames were made by a machine shop in Englewood, CO called AG Machining. I'm sure I can look up the dob on the frames. But I'm absolutely certain that the frae issue wasn't the case.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts