mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

Let's talk jersey padding

Hey everyone.

My team has some new members for this season, so we're doing a new run of jerseys. We've decided to go with Xternal sports since we've seen their work firsthand and everyone that has bought from them has nothing but praise.

They offer 3 levels of jersey, the standard one, one with padding, and one with thumb loops and more padding. Given the jump in price to the 3rd one, I'm thinking of going with the padded version.

My questions are these: First, has anyone had experience with these jerseys and can comment on the padding in that 2nd level jersey? Ideally, I'm thinking forearm and elbow, since I tend to bang my arms up quite a bit, and the elbow pads I wear now have saved quite a bit of wear and tear on the funnybone over the years.

Second, how much is too much padding, and do these jerseys cross the line? I love the concept of built-in pads. It saves the trouble of having to buy and wear constricting pads underneath. You stay cooler and you move more freely. But, the phrase "bounce armor" comes to mind with some of the pants and jerseys I see on the field. Knee padding from the halfway up the shin to halfway up the thigh, full arm padding, over the shoulders and on down onto the chest. Padding that's there for no other reason than to catch a bounce. There's every reason in the world to forearm and elbow padding, especially if you crawl a lot (as I tend to do), or shoulder padding if you pack a heavy vest. But chest padding, really? How much crawling on one's pecks does one do? Anyway, my point is, if these things are way over-padding, I'd be hesitant, so if anyone can give me an idea of what they're like (a couple of pictures would be great), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, MCB.

ZDF42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Autocannibal

AKA Fan
I've owned a padded jersey before, but not from this particular company. I found the padding to be negligible and not really worth having as it was too thin to cushion the impact of diving to the ground on my elbows. I have since switched over to dedicated elbow pads and a standard jersey.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
pump snob

Back in the day this would be called cheating if hidden from view, worn under clothes or sewn in. IMO: loose the pads - play naked.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts