mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

USPS insurance and trades

I traded a tank for a gun and accessories and my package arrived to the other guy. But the package he mailed disappeared. Good thing it was insured and carried delivery confirmation.

Does anyone have experience making a USPS claim on a trade? My concern is proving value since there was no receipt. Any way to make it easy?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

the way it was put to me by my local desk clerk was that purchasing insurance w/o a sales reciept to prove value was useless. I hope I'm wrong and wish you the best of luck.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
step one... open word... step two... type up a receipt *Value... $7000...* step 3 click print

Seriously though please let us know how this pans out... ive gotten lucky and not had an issue with trades, but thats sure to change at some point.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

i always thought you get what you paid for, since it cost more for the higher insurance value. never knew you had to provide proff of the content inside or a receipt. for sure i know it's not going to be easy to get your money and i think the only one who gets the money is the sender.
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Shouldn't the sender have a receipt proving the insured value that he paid for? Not much point in him buying insurance if he throws the receipt away...
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cobra Paintball Fanatic

Palmers Fan
according to USPS reg 609-3.2-B "For items valued up to $100, the customer’s own statement describing the lost or damaged article and including the date and place of purchase, the amount paid, and whether the item was new or used (only if a sales receipt or invoice is not available). If the article mailed is a hobby, craft, or similar handmade item, the statement must include the cost of the materials used in making the item. The statement must describe the article in sufficient detail to determine whether the value claimed is accurate."
also, I'd submit from part C "Picture from a catalog showing the value of a similar article (only if a sales receipt, invoice, or statement of value from a reputable dealer is not available). The date and place of purchase must be included."

TLDR = A statement describing the purchase of the item along with estimated value should be considered acceptable evidence given that a sales receipt would not exist. Just fill out a statement with the evidence you've gathered for supporting value.

hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
Anyone who thinks they can out-birddog a birdog, regardless of weather conditions, is just stupid.
My Feedback
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Stockclass player

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
It should be on the sellers receipt. He would have had to declare a value when buying the ins. Hope this gets resolved painlessly for you.

MCB Feedback
Ebay Feedback
mailmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
according to USPS reg 609-3.2-B "For items valued up to $100, the customerís own statement describing the lost or damaged article and including the date and place of purchase, the amount paid, and whether the item was new or used (only if a sales receipt or invoice is not available). If the article mailed is a hobby, craft, or similar handmade item, the statement must include the cost of the materials used in making the item. The statement must describe the article in sufficient detail to determine whether the value claimed is accurate."
also, I'd submit from part C "Picture from a catalog showing the value of a similar article (only if a sales receipt, invoice, or statement of value from a reputable dealer is not available). The date and place of purchase must be included."

TLDR = A statement describing the purchase of the item along with estimated value should be considered acceptable evidence given that a sales receipt would not exist. Just fill out a statement with the evidence you've gathered for supporting value.

hope that helps
That's good. Insured value was exactly $100, so we'll see.

Latest news: seller received a parcel search request letter from USPS. Included were the DC and Insurance labels. It looks like the package was opened or damaged somewhere in transit and the goods may be lost or in the Dead Letter Office.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Super late update: USPS closed the claim without explanation. I provided all the information I had with the claim form: pdf's of the for sale threads, pdf's of all PM's, proof of retail value, proof of trade agreement, my shipping confirmation, and proof of insurance. I'm not sure if the other guy fell through on providing the tracking and insurance receipts to the Post Office or what.

No money for me. Trade with care, keep all your receipts and hope the other party does too; USPS insurance may not pay the claim.
SD.Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

ups is quite a bit better on handling claims especially the $100 and under types.

wanted: got most of it for now.

currently in China
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts