mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
They do take aa's, but the box for the 4 aa's are attached to a 9 volt battery connector. Was this just a half assed afterthought for the battery or is it compatible with 9 volt batteries?

Reason I ask is because I have a ton of 9 volt batteries and no aa's.
Anyone have a number for virtue's customer service? I know most PCB's have overvoltage protection but I'm still paranoid, I know this thing has a few LED's that do not like overvoltage.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Im not quite sold on the Clock. It is prone to misreadings dependent on how the operators uses it. It has some nifty features but I expect more from something in this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
Anyone have a number for virtue's customer service? I know most PCB's have overvoltage protection but I'm still paranoid, I know this thing has a few LED's that do not like overvoltage.
(631) 617-5346 (had to do a google search for it since page it's on isn't linked from the homepage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
Im not quite sold on the Clock. It is prone to misreadings dependent on how the operators uses it. It has some nifty features but I expect more from something in this price range.
That's true for any radar based chrono. You got any beef in particular?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

thought about getting one but I all ready have a big red. Always wanted to do a video of the clock verses the big red
richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
(631) 617-5346 (had to do a google search for it since page it's on isn't linked from the homepage).

That's true for any radar based chrono. You got any beef in particular?
Couple actually. Played a tournament last June chronoed fine over a Big Red, ref did a random field chrono before the match and majically the marker was shooting hot. Two weekends ago played a scenario, got a random field chrono called on me ref did not properly instruct me where to aim over the Clock for the check. I wound up shooting 295-298 when velocity was limited to 285 and I chronoed in at 283 w/out any adjustments all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Couple actually. Played a tournament last June chronoed fine over a Big Red, ref did a random field chrono before the match and majically the marker was shooting hot. Two weekends ago played a scenario, got a random field chrono called on me ref did not properly instruct me where to aim over the Clock for the check. I wound up shooting 295-298 when velocity was limited to 285 and I chronoed in at 283 w/out any adjustments all day.
Those could very well be cases of operator (in this case the ref's) errors.

For example, here's a quote from the manual:

Quote:
2.) Hold the Clock underneath or to the side of the barrel. The closer to the tip of the barrel, the more accurate the reading. Holding farther back from the barrel reduces the FPS reading.
Unfortunately, too many people don't know that's true for all of the radar chrono's. Folks holding their gun's muzzle behind (or too far foreward) and/or above the padded lip on the Big Red Chrony's will have bogus FPS feedback as well.

Another thing to consider is CJ Ottowa's Thread: "Paintball Radar: watch where you point it"

This can be an area where a big red (or any fixed position chrono) can excel. Find a working position and keep it there, then you only need to worry about muzzle placement.

Another thing from the manual a lot of folks ignore is the instruction: "Insert 4 fresh AA Batteries" and just put in a 9v. It will work but, who can say if that impacts the accuracy of the unit, or at the very least, the battery life. It'll be interesting if Boo gets a hold of them and let's us know what they think.

One thing that bugs me about passing judgement on any of the radar-based chrono's on the market is a lack of any rigorous testing data. For all the manufacturers that publish the data, iirc they all are saying pretty much the same thing (if anyone has an exception, please share link). As best I can tell Virtue doesn't publish this information (why not?).

I'd love to see someone do a test of any or all of the radar-based chrono's compared to a quality optical chrono (with appropriate lighting for the model). And I wouldn't consider tests where one shoots over the radar, then shoots over the optical as valid. There's no reason why someone with a good optical chrono couldn't test a radar model simultaneously with the optical.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 05-07-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Misplaced Sentence
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Official word from virtue is do not use 9 volt batteries.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
E-Tac Operator =

Quote:
In either of those cases did you go back over to the Big Red to check your fps again before making any adjustments? If yes, then did the Big Red confirm your earlier settings? Or if not, then what's to say that the Clock was wrong?

Even the simple variable of time can certainly play a factor in how a marker chronographs, especially if there's a decent temperature change over that time period. And you have to think about temperature/humidity within your hopper and pods, not just in the ambient air around you.

TL/DR, just because the Clock catches you shooting faster than your initial chrono, it doesn't mean the Clock is wrong.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
hth
Seasoned Member

I've heard that they go wonky if used in the rain
hth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth View Post
I've heard that they go wonky if used in the rain
That would be true.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts