mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Dont be too upset that you havent gotten a lot of response.
Your situation is very unique, A military run facility in another country which has different rules and regulations.

I would be a little disappointed with the attitudes of some of your fellow paintballers.
Sure they might rotate out before they see any change, maybe you will too, but it is a legacy thing - making sure that you are leaving the sport in a good state for those that follow you.
phaedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Here is what i would do...in no particular order.

1) Provide support for the field. i would find people at my command to volunteer on some weekends to provide support to the paintball field whether its reffing, filling air, giving safety briefs, beautifying the field. Everyone needs volunteer hours for their EVALS donít really need to get paintballers to volunteer though it would be preferred. Draft up a letter of appreciation that all you would have to do is type the volunteers name on it and have the MWR supervisor sign. Note donít put anything in the LOA hinting at paintball, just say support the mwr or safety rep for the MWR etc etc etc...

2. Address the safety concerns of the field. Hold a working party to make the field safe repair anything that needs to be repaired. If you need new stuff all together check out the local DRMO lot alot of times they have the old security barriers that you fill up with water or other misc stuff that you could use. That would add alot more life to the field and make it not so crappy. Another source would be seabee's if there are any in italy.

3. Participation. You can go about this in several ways. make a FB page for the field invite everyone you know to it. Make flyers and post them around base. Talk to the Captain's Cup Committee and see about adding paintball to one of the events. In my area they did it one year. Challenge other commands to come out and play. "might not be able to play at my next command" pretty wrong there let them know you can play at almost every command. Ive played in.....Okinawa, Mainland Japan, Korea, Guam, Cuba....etc etc and obviously if they rotate back to the states they can play anywhere they are stationed. Only places ive seen that dont have a paintball course are Iraq, Afgan, and Africa....And those are all deployments for the most part and most sailors dont go on real deployments sorry greenside corpsman here.....

3. Funding. youíre going to have your ducks lined up for this, youíre going to need asses everything the field needs and get 3 quotes from 3 different sources for whatever you need. Yes its tedious to to get the quotes but thatís how the navy does its funding so the 3 quotes are necessary. Well whatever the MWR cant provide try and get the regulars that play paintball or from your command to raise some money for the field again volunteer hours and again donít try promote it as helping the paintball field promote it as raising money for the MWR you will get alot more help that way.

4. Address the security concerns come up with a plan so the suff dosent get stolen thats the only advice i can give you concerning that.

5. Summarize.....Get everything you plan on doing in package have it all look nice and need. Everything from what the field needs, quotes, security and field promotion and then show it to the MWR director. If you present it in a professional manner chances are you will receive a professional response.

sounds like alot of work? well its going to be but it has multiple benefits. One you will continue to be able to play the sport that you love. Two YOUR eval, doing all these things are major bullets for it.

Just remember with everything in the military..."If youíre not part of the solution then youíre part of the god damn problem"

PS
Dont get pissy with MCB for not responding in a timeframe that you deem appropriate.

Feedback Thread
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1997293
Warrzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
I've porked many

MWR generally has limited funds for X amount of spending. More times than not here stateside, the MWR "run" paintball fields are actually renting space to outside venders. MWR just provides the land, and the vendor provides everything else. MWR likes to use paintball as a source of income for their coffers. If you cannot show them that it is a money making venture, they will not be interested.

On the flip side you will not be stationed in Italy forever, so find something else to do until you get somewhere paintball is played.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok i will finish my post from before (i had a work phone call and didnt get to complete what i wanted to say and why it took me about 10 minutes to write 2 paragraphs lol)

So first off you should be commended for trying to improve paintball in your area - im sure it would be easier for you to just stop or put up with what you have until you rotate out.

I dont know what your situation is like - it sounds like you have been there for a while and i dont know how much longer you will be there, or if your position is a more permanent one.
Have you considered applying for a posting to run the paintball field, or at least work there - fight from the inside - again i dont know how realistic that is

If you can find people who feel the same as you or if you can persuade others that it is something worthwhile, even though they might not see the benefits.
If you can get people organised and active I am sure that you can make changes

I am ex RNZAF, but i have no idea how your system works for the MWR, but usually there is a Regular Force Officer in charge. If they arent interested then you need to go over their head to their OIC. It might not be a very high priority task for them so you may need to give it some time. you need to follow proper procedures and have all your information as complete and accurate as possible (which you probably already know, but just stating the obvious)
Without more knowledge on how your system works - its a bit hard to make suggestions - and what i would be be able to do might not be applicable to you.

Good luck with your endeavors, hopefully you will get some good suggestions from someone who actually knows a bit about the process you need to go through (usually i dont like to comment on something which i dont know - better to get 2 or 3 post from people who actually know what they are talking about rather than 50 posts with useless info - i suspect mine might be one of the latter)
phaedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Take pictures of the field. It will show how dangerous it is. Meaning military people can get hurt on it.

Find out who makes the "Off limits list".

Once that is done they will contact the owner and let him know that his place is off limits to Military. This will do two things, make him not care or fix it up,cause it's profits that he is loosing.

Becareful playing out law ball over seas. I remember in Germany, we could only play on Military bases.

You could contact companies that will be willing to help out MWR with guns and gear. Grants are the big thing with MWR.

Money is tight with the Gov branches of service. You have alot of leg work ahead of you.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I contacted someone who will be able to help you. He runs MWR paintball here in Japan. Hopefully he will answer ,post up or contact you personally.

Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
hehe, I'm a noob

I was shown this thread by Blackrain, and wanted to let you know I'll be along in a couple days to try to help you out.

I run a paintball field for MWR in Japan, and will try to help you out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on a snowboarding trip for the next few days (it's a rough job I have), and am stuck with cellphone only.

Once I get back to my computer I'll help you out the best I can.
spreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreck View Post
I was shown this thread by Blackrain, and wanted to let you know I'll be along in a couple days to try to help you out.

I run a paintball field for MWR in Japan, and will try to help you out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on a snowboarding trip for the next few days (it's a rough job I have), and am stuck with cellphone only.

Once I get back to my computer I'll help you out the best I can.

Thanks for the help Spreck.
Later,
Blackrain
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

The paintball gods have smiled upon thee.
Thanks for all this feedback. Let me see what my options are and I'll work from there.

If you come up with anything else please add it. I'll try to get some picture this week. If not, I'll put up some recent pictures. If I can find a specific SD card, it has some pictures of some old REALLY bad barricades. Those might be good for a frame of reference.

Thanks again. This has helped.
Antlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

Found that old SD card. All these photos are old, but relevant. I plan to get some new photos this week.

IMG_0601.jpg
This was the old pro-shop. Back when they used to sell gear and actually do things. Now it's just an old abandoned/vandalized structure. I think the door top has fallen all the way off now.

IMG_0938.jpg
Two things about this picture. 1) Those are some of the tanks we get HPA from. Some are inside, some are exposed to the elements. It's for space I guess. 2) That patch on the wall is from the 3rd burglary. You can't tell me that was a silent B&E. They broke through the wall to crawl in. By the way, that number still works if you feel like raising some hell...

IMG_0595.jpg
Please nominate that for most unsafe DIY field cover. I had some pictures of the nails sticking out, not kidding about the dangers, but I was one of those people who didn't safely eject USB and stuff so the pictures don't work.

IMG_0598.jpg
This was one of the old obstacles. It fell down after the supporting pipes rusted though. They removed that obstacles.

IMG_0597.jpg
This is a close up of the rusted pipe. Guess what?!?! That pipe is still there. Just randomly stickin' out of the ground. How'd you feel about planting your knee or hand on that in the middle of a game.

Sorry for the sheer HUGE-NESS of the pictures. Please let me know how to minimize their size for later. I also have some other pictures but I won't add them until I learn how to reduce their size.
Antlion is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts