mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

Unhappy How can I convince MWR that paintball isn't a waste?

I wasn't real sure what to title this thing so let me be clear. I live in a place called Succivo, Italy. I'm stationed here with my family and there's almost nothing here paintball wise. There is one, count 'em, one field here that I can go to after an hour-ish drive. That field is in Carney Park. It's continuously trashed by the personnel and I would like them to give a about it. I'll add only the relevant info without going WAY over.

Here's the quick information about the field: The paintball program and pretty much everything that's considered entertainment, is run by MWR. That stands for Morale Welfare and Recreation in case you don't know. This field has existed since the end of 2001 I believe and it is run by people who would most likely find their dream job somewhere in the North Korean regime. The field isn't even on the map they provide to people who come to the park and even if people go out of their way to find it, it's in sad shape. It's like combining every Micheal Bay explosion you've ever seen and squeezing them into a small area. Then having a T-rex drop a load right there. Sadly, this isn't an exaggeration. I'm just adding humor so I don't get too angry. Often the bunkers or barricades are actually dangerous. Like jagged metal in the ground dangerous.

I'm new to this forum as well as forums in general so I don't know how to insert pictures. Let me know and I'll post the most relevant ones up. I just need to know how to get them from an SD card.

Here's problem number two. Be aware I can't prove what I'm about to say, but under the circumstances I can't help but wonder...
The field is used as a second form of income. There have been four break ins in the past two years. Roughly 90+ markers, 20+jerseys, -10 masks, and misc stuff. I have the rough numbers I do because I read the local paper. Personally, I think the director of the park or someone else high up is taking these or orchestrating their theft. My main reason is this. After the first burglary the director had the idea of replacing the 40 stolen Tippmann 98s. I'm fine with that. However it turned out he replaced them with Invert Minis. Yeah. Replacing $120 rental markers with $400 ones. Five days after the markers were announced at the field, every last Mini was gone. Even stole the cases. I'm sure that made thing easy. It's continues like that for the previous two thefts. Whenever they get some new supplies in, they're gone within a week.

I've talked to the prodigal walrus that is the director at Carney. I've even borderline stalked the regional administrator of MWR until he'd talk to me. No one in a position of authority cares about that field and I can't round up a group of die-hard players because people rotate out of here so often. Basically, how screwed am I? I love paintball. HARD. But it's been years since I've had a good game. What can I do? Is there a patron saint of paintball to pray to? Help!!!

In the interest of time, I won't go into the practices of the staff at the field. If you want to read a more in depth summary of the field itself with some additional information, I put up a review up a long time ago on PBreview. Like a year before I found this sight. I stopped updating the review after the second theft. I'd recommend you read it, but do so at your discretion. I couldn't make this crap up if I tried. Here's the link >>> Carney Park Paintball (Naples, Italy) | pbreview.com

One last thing. I'm not trolling or making up things to anger people or whatever. I just want to play paintball and my only option here is horrible. If anyone can come up with something or could contact the paintball police I'd be infinitely grateful.

Last edited by Antlion; 03-08-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Wrong weblink
Antlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Outdoor Adventure Training

Here is the link to Fort Drums FMWR with paintball
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintslinger16 View Post
Outdoor Adventure Training

Here is the link to Fort Drums FMWR with paintball
Um... okay. Now what?
Tell them what's happened and see if they can do anything? Fort Drum is in New York state. I'm not even in North America.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
Um... okay. Now what?
Tell them what's happened and see if they can do anything? Fort Drum is in New York state. I'm not even in North America.
Reference material for you and if one MWR can do it why can't yours?
I would gather a group up and request changes, provide the man power to help even.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintslinger16 View Post
Reference material for you and if one MWR can do it why can't yours?
I would gather a group up and request changes, provide the man power to help even.
There are two problems right there.
I've gone to the highest ranking MWR official here. The head guy for this entire region. Nada out of that. As for getting a group, people usually cycle out of here too fast.

I thank you for the help so far. The link has proven useful, but I've tried what I can in-house here. I put this thread up in the hopes that somebody reading it would know of someone I could contact. The aforementioned "paintball police".

I'll try getting a group together again but it's hard to get people who are willing to. Answers I've received in the past about getting a group >>> "Why should I go through all this effort when I can just cycle to somewhere else that might have a field?" "Even if this works I won't be here to play anyway." But in the interest of the sport I'll try again. If you or anyone else has any more links for material or suggestions, feel free to put them up. Every little bit helps.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
the proper use of .50cal

Remember "everbody reports to someone". If the local people are not helpful ask/tell them you'd like their bosses conact info, BE NICE ABOUT IT. Also be ready to PROVE any statments you make. If the bunker are dangerous have photos showing it, if they keep having break ins ask what improvments they have made to prevent this, or ask why haven't they made these improvments.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Sadly, it may be a waste of time - even if you manage to convince somebody at MWR there's a problem, by the time they fix it, you'll have rotated to somewhere else. It's the curse of the Active Duty.

Personally, I'd put paintball on hold for a while, and go here. *evil grin*

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

if you think there is orchestrated wrong doing going on with MWR talk to the CID. Or security forces equivalent. Military cops love baggin MWR employees
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Packrat of War

Out of all MCarterbrown, four people have provided input. Well, that's sobering...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
Out of all MCarterbrown, four people have provided input. Well, that's sobering...
The problem your running into is that out of all MCB, very few people live and play in Italy and therefore Very few have the knowledge that your looking for. That being said it should show you that the MCB community is not going to give you crap info without anything to back it up...

On top of that, the number of American service personnel on MCB is only a percentage (I don't have a clue as to what size...) of the MCB population... Of that, How many of them have been posted to Italy? Of that, how many are knowledgeable about getting MWR to do anything on any base let alone one in Italy?

Unfortunately there are no paintball police, you have to be the focus of change. Start dragging people together and keep fighting the fight man. Thats all we can do to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I only skimmed your post but here's my 2-cents.

Go it alone.

They don't want to help, find some way, either using the facility you mentioned or otherwise, to play what amounts to outlaw ball.

Stock class is ideal for a few reasons: 12-grams (no bulk air to refill), low paint use (less mess, less paint to haul), small package to carry.

If you can't make the existing field work, find a minimum of one other person and play one-on-one in some forest or field a local will let you use. Be courteous, offer to clean up after use or make some improvements.

I did a bit of research on paintball in Italy, Apperantly Paintball guns are considered firearms and are therefore very controlled? There is very little interest in paintball in the country and because of that, finding people, gear, paint, air...12gs is difficult as is.

The only reason the fields that the OP is talking about exists is becuase it is on a US military base?

Then if you go outlaw, the chances of some really problems with the law becomes reality...
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts