mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Ebay Buyers advice?

Hey guys,

I recently found and pulled the trigger on a great gun on Ebay. The price was reasonable, given the condition and the rarity but, I have one major reservation- the seller is a new user with zero feedback.

The shipping is reported to be UPS Ground (estimated 2-6 business days for delivery), and a seven day return policy.

I made the purchase precisely because of the rarity and the condition. I've done a google image search and it does not appear that the photo was copied from another website.

I understand that I'm risking a headache or possibly, worse. That being said, what can I do to reduce or prevent such headaches in regards to this purchase?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Presume you used Paypal? If so, you are already on mostly safe ground (with some notable exceptions). If you used your credit card through Paypal, you are on even safer ground--cc companies will work with you on these kinds of things. A few things to do:

1. Make contact with the seller now...don't wait. Be present in his world as someone who is excited and expects something asap. Welcome him to ebay and say you're looking forward to doing everything in your power to make it a good experience for both of you.

2. Be polite. Write any and all communications with the expectation that they may be reviewed later by Paypal when adjudicating a case. I've had cases go my way simply because I was clearly a polite adult in a dispute where the facts could have gone either way.

3. Use the message function within Ebay. This will ensure both the timing and content of communications between you and the seller are logged and auditable later.

4. Insist that the seller not use USPS priority mail and instead go for UPS or Fedex. The issue with USPS Priority is the Delivery Confirmation scam--any item under $250 does not require a signature and a web query only shows an item delivered to your zip code. Not your address. Seller ships a small rock to a church in your zip code and claims it arrived at your house but was stolen, etc.

5. Relax and wait!
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I usually ask for an additional pic or some other details to insure they actually have it and see what kind of response they give. Yes, do use paypal and roll it to a credit card.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
Presume you used Paypal? If so, you are already on mostly safe ground (with some notable exceptions). If you used your credit card through Paypal, you are on even safer ground--cc companies will work with you on these kinds of things. A few things to do:

1. Make contact with the seller now...don't wait. Be present in his world as someone who is excited and expects something asap. Welcome him to ebay and say you're looking forward to doing everything in your power to make it a good experience for both of you.

2. Be polite. Write any and all communications with the expectation that they may be reviewed later by Paypal when adjudicating a case. I've had cases go my way simply because I was clearly a polite adult in a dispute where the facts could have gone either way.

3. Use the message function within Ebay. This will ensure both the timing and content of communications between you and the seller are logged and auditable later.

4. Insist that the seller not use USPS priority mail and instead go for UPS or Fedex. The issue with USPS Priority is the Delivery Confirmation scam--any item under $250 does not require a signature and a web query only shows an item delivered to your zip code. Not your address. Seller ships a small rock to a church in your zip code and claims it arrived at your house but was stolen, etc.

5. Relax and wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
I usually ask for an additional pic or some other details to insure they actually have it and see what kind of response they give. Yes, do use paypal and roll it to a credit card.
Yes, I used a credit card via my paypal account. That's good to know.

The seller listed UPS ground as their shipping method. I never heard of that USPS scam. That's really good to know!

The seller contacted me first via direct email a couple hours ago. I'll send him an ebay email with more of what you said ( 'welcoming to ebay', etc).

Thanks!!
And yes, I'm anxiously waiting
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Going to ask, where is the link?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Licensed idiot

Even though he has 0 feedback, as long as he isn't asking for a wire transfer to somewhere deliberately across the country (It has happened to me with a car), you should be fine and insured by ebay or paypal or your credit card.

Don't even sweat it.

B-17 feedback
B-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Prime Tinkerer Tech II

Send a message via Yahoo to phosphor

Just be careful and it is good to have your CC through paypal. I was burned on a PB gun a few years back through ebay/paypal. Serial numbers were scratched off the gun. I disputed and they came back many weeks later to tell me I got the product as advertised - after sending them multiple pictures as proof. They could care less most of the time. At least through the CC into paypal, you can still have another avenue to take.
'I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.' Ben Franklin
phosphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

for new seller i think ebay place a hold on the paypal payment till the buyer leave positive feedback.

http://pages.ebay.com/pay/help/index.html
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ooooh, that's a good nugget of info there.

I received a shipping notice from him, the UPS Store, and ebay so, hopefully I'll have it here soon.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpro69 View Post
Going to ask, where is the link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Ooooh, that's a good nugget of info there.

I received a shipping notice from him, the UPS Store, and ebay so, hopefully I'll have it here soon.
Ahem. What'd you buy, it's killing me.
TippmannFireman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts