mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Vibrams look pretty weird and cool, but the only problem I can see with those is ankle support. You have nothing to keep you from rolling your ankle, and I don't think they provide enough protection against sharp objects. I think they are advertised as the ultimate running/hiking shoes, but with paintball, your attention is not completely on the path in front of you as you have to look for your opponents, bunkers, and pay attention to all the gear you're carrying.

Moving fast in woodsball is not as important as moving quietly, so take your time to shuffle the twigs out of the way if you can't find good ground to step on. It's much more awesome to stalk than to charge and be aggressive, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by towerofcards.19; 04-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
towerofcards.19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Vibram 5fingers
Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes

moccasins
Sportsmen's Footwear Since 1898 - Fine handmade custom fitted moccasin style boots and shoes for hunters and outdoors men and women!
Custom Moccasin Styles, Stealth Trackers, Tracking Moccasins, Bow Hunting, Western, Renaissance, SCA, Earthing,Tactical,Police, Military, Go Green, Earthing, Barefoot Moccasins, SodHoppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

You need "hush puppies" or "sneakers" ....

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you have bad fieldcraft, no shoe or boot will save you. Stepping on a dry twig or kicking a pile of leaves will sound the same whether you did it barefoot or wearing boots.

One trick is to be looking 3-4 steps ahead of where you are and to identify a route that will not take you through loud brush, etc.

The thing is, to move silently through the woods takes time -something that is in short supply in most rec games. Learn to move quietly ENOUGH to get where you need to be. That has as much to do with when you move as how loudly.

Movement is much more important at paintball distances than sound.

SSniper13
SSniper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Here's the situation that I run into a lot... Desert field. Opponent moves to bunker. I move to intercept. When I'm within 20 feet of target, my opponent can now here the crunching of gravel under a boot. To alleviate that, I roll my foot to reduce the amount of contact my foot makes with the ground at any given time.

This solution is 95% impossible to do with many shoes and especially boots.

The right shoes make it a lot easier to sneak. Promise.

If you're quick to point out that forest play is different, I'd be happy to show you how pine beds work exactly the same as gravel in this situation.

Actually... An easy goal for the op would be learning how his prey reacts when alerted. Good at that... Means that you don't have to be as quiet.

Last edited by alpha434; 04-16-2012 at 10:50 PM.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
"Crow"

Sounds like you need some.....*puts on sunglasses*.......sneakers..
THE PAINTBALL NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
****ing speak up Im deaf!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Awwww yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
If you are not stalking - you are not showing love...
Feedback
Dr. VonDeafingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Might as well go to ninja school...
Hell, then you wouldn't even need a paintball gun...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

The quietest boots I ever wore were the first generation of Oakley SI Assault boots. They were super comfy and, the sole made extensive use of EVA and, the outer sole was also very soft (softer than vibram). The result is that my natural (non-sneaky) footfalls in a hallway with concrete floors were very quiet.

Since then, Nike has started to use vibram as the original design wore out rather quickly (loss of support) if you were carrying a load.

One boot I'm curious about is the new Under Armour Boots. I've heard that they have a very flexible sole (i.e the Speed Freak)
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
Here's the situation that I run into a lot... Desert field. Opponent moves to bunker. I move to intercept. When I'm within 20 feet of target, my opponent can now here the crunching of gravel under a boot. To alleviate that, I roll my foot to reduce the amount of contact my foot makes with the ground at any given time.

This solution is 95% impossible to do with many shoes and especially boots.

The right shoes make it a lot easier to sneak. Promise.

If you're quick to point out that forest play is different, I'd be happy to show you how pine beds work exactly the same as gravel in this situation.

Actually... An easy goal for the op would be learning how his prey reacts when alerted. Good at that... Means that you don't have to be as quiet.
My point was not that shoes don't make a difference, but that such benefit REQUIRES good fieldcraft. In your gravel example, I could be wearing deerskin moccasins and if I drag my feet or kick the rocks my opponent will hear me. Same in the woods. If you don't know how to roll your feet or to pick a place to step, or to move when other noises are happening, the shoes don't matter.

Also, shoes are a small part of what makes noise. Fabric choices (especially the type most paintball pants are made of), how loose you wear your gear, breathing, shifting equipment, even paint in the hopper all contribute to the "noise" profile. They are also more likely to be recognized as a threat by your typical paintballer. And you know what minimizes those? Good fieldcraft.

It's like spending $1500 on a tricked-out Ruger 10-22 and scope and not knowing how to adjust for windage or pull the trigger correctly. Sure, the gun is more accurate than the $100 Wal-mart beater, but poor shooting mechanics make it a moot point. Taking a few shooting lessons and buying $100 worth of ammo to practice with would have a bigger and more substantial impact on accuracy than buying the fancier gun.

To the OP -solid mechanics and good fieldcraft skills will improve your game substantially more than trying to buy the quietest pair of shoes. If the shoes that are most comfortable to you also happen to be "quiet", great. But they don't have to be. I choose to play in steel-toe boots now because I play on rocky fields with lots of stumps and roots. I still manage to sneak up on plenty of people.

Try this -go take a nature hike at a park. Walk 3-4 feet OFF the trail. Focus on being as quiet as possible. Your goal is to be able to "see" at least 3-4 wild animals who are NOT running or flying away from you. In other words, to sneak up on them. For example, if you scare up a rabbit and don't see it until it's bounding away, that doesn't count. It only counts if you can watch the rabbit chomping away at some grass. Most prey animals are much more sensitive to noise and sudden movement that any people, so if you can move through the woods and regularly see wildlife acting unconcerned (meaning you didn't scare all the animals away with your approach), you can be reasonably confident that you're doing it right. Initially you'll have to move REALLY slow, but as you get better, you can get up to an almost normal walking pace.

SSniper13
SSniper13 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts