mcarterbrown.com

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Filling 4oz tank from a 20oz?

I bought some more 12grams today and the price annoyed me, $0.72 each. I thought of getting a 4oz tank again which I had avoided because some of the fields I play are bring your own air and such a small tank doesn't allow me to test markers at home. Has anyone used a 20oz tank to fill their 4oz for pump play? Since the 20 has no siphon tube would you just need to flip it upside down before filling? I know it's possible I just wonder if it's worth doing or is a pain in the ***. Any other suggestions or solutions for my problem?

I had also consider a larger tank like a 5lb I just don't know what they cost.
letstryscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

You can sometimes pick up the bigger bulk tanks pretty cheap. The main problem with those little 3.5oz and 4oz is getting them to chill. If you put the little one in the freezer first to chill it, you could possibly get a few fills off of a 20oz. And yeah, no real need for siphon as like you said you can just turn the 20 upside down.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Foreign Eedjit

CCM Fan
Yup, I do exactly what Mad just described. I use two remote line ASA connected with a 15" high pressure hose (similar to a Ninja fill whip). Stick the 4 oz in the freezer for a bit. Once its cold, connect the tanks, hang the 4oz in a scale, open its valve, flip the 20oz upside down, open 20oz valve to fill, close both valves when full (20oz first) and remove. Simple and easy to do.

Got tired of my local shops/fields not filling a 4oz properly or overfilling and blowing a burst disk, so I just do it myself.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I think I have a 12" steel braid hose in my parts box and an ugly Phat ASA. I can snag one of these from Bacci Used remote on/off fill adapter, probably need new oring, untested and have a pretty cheap fill setup.

I couldn't find anyone local selling 5-10 pound CO2 tanks. 5 pounds would be equal to 189 twelve gram cartridges. Only about $10 to fill that bottle but between $70 and $140 for 12grams. Though at 30 rounds each thats 5670 rounds which is a few years based on how often I play now. (Only use 250-500 rounds a day and play maybe once a month if that.) Since I lack interior monologue the point of that rambling is that a 20oz may be a better fit for me, cheaper and less to deal with.

Halo: Do you get 4 solid fills and then one mediocre one? I don't think partial fills would bother me that much since it's my air and I can weight the tank to know what I'm going out there with. My main gripe was going to fields that would put 1 oz in and charge me for 4. I offered to fill the tank on my own but few fields would let me.
letstryscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Foreign Eedjit

CCM Fan
Think I get four 4oz fills with maybe 1-2 oz on the fifth, but can't really be sure. I honestly haven't kept too close track of how many full fills I get, cause chilling the bottle in the freezer allows you to just top up the bottle when ever you'd like, so I usually just fill the 4oz before every day of play. I get about six days of play plus some tinkering\tuning at home out of a 20oz. I don't really shoot more than 250 a day
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

By far the most important thing is you need to weigh the 4oz tank while empty, and again after you fill it.

Most people use the "gravity" method, directly connecting a 20oz to a 4oz using a bottomline with an extra asa. Just about everyone has these parts floating around there gear bin. An on/off valve is helpfull, but I've never bothered. Just connect together as if you were running dual tanks without an on/off.

That method does not require you to chill the tank, but it will EASILY overfill it, making it critical that you reweigh, otherwise your tank will be supercritical and blow its burst disc if its warm enough.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Also...although you can overfill say, a 20oz tank by "a little" and it's not a big deal, overfilling a 4oz tank by the same amount is a bigger deal, if that makes sense.

I just got sick of dealing with trying to get tanks filled years ago and went to my local welding gas supplier and bought a used 20lb siphon tank from them. I remember it being really cheep...some other paintball guy left it there and never picked it up. I'm pretty sure I paid the same price as getting it filled and it came filled.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts