mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

air questions

Just got a e1 orracle. I shot a hoppper through it at time of sale to confirm it works and what not, no issues. I dont have any equipment besides my gun and have some questions about tanks.

Im looking at different tanks and I was wondering if you guys knew ball park figures on what I can expect out of the different tank sizes for my specific gun.

48 ci 4500 psi

48 ci 3000 psi

what could I expect the difference in shots to be? I know it also depends on gun setup.

Ultimately I'd like to get my own scuba to fill from but from what im reading those are around 3000 psi or slightly higher. so having a 4500 psi tank for my gun would be a waste?

I'd appreciate any info or ideas.
Thanks
Jloc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scewball, One Each

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadowHunter

As a ball park figure expect a 240 shot count difference between the two. For a 3k bottle multiply the volume by 10 and for a 4500 bottle multiply the volume by 15. That is again got a ball park figure.

Expect 480 shots out of a 48/3k and around 720 from a 48/45.

Again these are ball park figures and your results may vary.
DarkShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
If you ever plan on moving the 48/3K steelie good luck, those have very little resale value same with the carbon fiber 48/3K tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
camocow200

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
If you ever plan on moving the 48/3K steelie good luck, those have very little resale value same with the carbon fiber 48/3K tanks.
And cost 1/3 less..

WTF,why would i trade for that?

Ebay, camocow200 (960) 100% positive
MCB 275 +
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If you need to save some coin a 48/3k is a cheap option ... I've seen them sell as low as $30 (in hydro) used here. They are Aluminum cylinders FYI, never seen a steel HPA sold recently (might have been some made many years ago I suppose). If you can find a 48 or 68 cu in 4500psi tank for a good price, it gives you the option to grab the extra pressure when available.
But, if you only plan to fill off SCUBA tanks the most you'll see from those is 3200psi when first filled (usually you'll get them with anywhere from 2800-3200psi). So the only benefit you'll see from a 4500psi tank is the lighter weight of them being fibre wrapped construction. You can find older Fibre wrap 3k tanks as well but be aware that a fibre wrapped tank has a finite lifespan of between 15-25yrs depending on specs (so an older tanks may only have a few years left before destruction is required). The upside to the older all aluminum tanks is they do not have a set lifespan and will be good as long as they pass inspection.

I have both fibre wrapped and all aluminum HPA tanks in both 3k and 4500psi and fill off my four dive tanks (helps keep them in service as I am also a Diver). But, I also buy the deals and save my coin where I can safely. weigh your options and pick which works best for what you want. I'm also an avid CO2 user as when trasporting CO2 is simply a lighter more power per pound system especially when in remote locations like where I work (I do a considerable amount of tinkering out at work in my off hours at camp).
And I've never given the shot calculators much though as they are a very loose ballpark at best. most list my X-7 and extremely efficient running off a 72/3k tank (~1100 shot average).
but expect a 48/3k to be good for a couple hoppers at the minimum end, or try one out on your marker first to find out for sure (this is always the best option).
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 04-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Prime Tinkerer Tech II

Send a message via Yahoo to phosphor

Rockfrog, I plan on doing something like what you have for fills - with 2 tanks though. Is there somewhere I can go online to get me up to speed going the scuba route? A tutorial of sorts for filling?
'I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.' Ben Franklin
phosphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Nothing fancy, just need to buy or make a fill adapter (I was lucky enough to have a dive shop closing a few blocks away). Then hook to tank, hook to PB tank and just crack the valve on the scuba tank enough to hear the air rushing ... then wait for it to equalize. once that's done open the valve on the scuba some more to ensure proper equalization, then close.
vent the whip and top up off the second tank, that's it.
Care of an 80 cu ft tank is the same as your pb tanks ... hydro every 5yrs, and visual once a year if used for breathing air. Most Scuba shops will require a dive ticket for fill/service ... but some will allow fills if the tanks are properly marked against breathing use.
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts