mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

The truth about System X Type X 'cocker clones

I've come upon a fellow who has one of these that he's looking to trade.

From what I've been able to find out about them, which is mainly pbreview (and we all know how consistent reviews there are), is that they're a decent shooting budget 'cocker. I haven't been able to find any reasonably active forums dedicated to them, at least not that have much information on the Type x anyway.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of them ? I saw there was one in the buy/sell section, and it's listed a lot lower than this guy is looking to get for his. His, is actually in need of work, namely a 3 way rebuild from what he's said, and the ram is going to be swapped out for a generic brass one. Basically, all the 'semi' bits are fubar. He is including a pump kit, but I'm curious to know if the base gun itself is even worth it.

For reference, he's looking at around 225US for the marker itself, and 275US with a pump kit ...
hank_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

System X was a good solution when Cockers cost way too much but now even nice custom cockers are cheap. You can get a MUCH nicer cocker for around $200. I saw a beautiful Freeflow with an E frame go for $200. That was a $1500 marker....

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

That's WAAAAAY out of line. I recently got a very nice System X Vengeance from a guy on MCB for $130. I've seen similar SystemX cockers go for from about $100 to $150. And that was for examples that didn't need any work at all and came with the nicely integrated front end pnuematics in good working order.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

^ sounds to be the case, and having looked around a bit, the price is WAY higher than a broken cocker clone should try to go for.

That said, my currency in the trade would be an A5, and those lose 99% of their value on resale, so I'm kind of in an interesting spot. Between a rock and two hard to move markers
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Geez, around here used A5's go for pretty good money. Must be the area you're living in. They are KING of the milsim style markers for new players. But the problem may well be that the market is flooded with used ones.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Originally they had been touted as being identical to DYE cockers in respect to the same milling, similar components (pneumatics) and swing frame that resembled DYEs version. I've shot a couple and for $150.00 they're not bad, but as mentioned by a previous poster, now that WGP dropped the bottom out as far as prices on all their models, you can get a Superstock for a tad more, and you're getting a better gun in my opinion.
WGPKlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

railgun: the market here is mainly dominated by either the BT crowd, or the Ion crowd, so there's really no room for A5s. I do agree with you though, they are an amazing starter woodsball gun. They'll even hold you through into more serious play as well, if you get into the egrips and vortex modifications to the cyclone. But alas, noone here really wants one. It's kind of funny watching the pricing scale for markers on our local forum .. Used Ion $400, or trade you for your used A5, you add $350

WGPklaus: that's what kind of raised an eyebrow on my end once I started looking into things a bit. The idea behind my going for the trade wasn't so much get a sniper II out of it, as much as it was to get something I could sell with more ease locally, however, lowend cocker clone listed way too high doesn't seem to be the way to go
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Aren't BT's the ugly stepchild of the real Tippy C98's and A5's?

There's sure nothing wrong with an A5. It's a great marker with good long legs as you mentioned.... especially the one with the Palmer's brass barrel that I can't seem to hide from..... damn his hide! Must be a regional thing.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

Pretty much .. I think they're redheaded as well, which doesn't help their cause.

I've owned a couple C98s and my current A5, and from what I've seen of the BTs they're just not the same in terms of quality .. it's basically a C98 in an A5 frame, but without the cyclone :S

I had a hard time staying away from my buddy's J&J barrel .. especially when I was on his time
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

hey i was a redheaded step child

/me runs away crying

/such abuse
plan9_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts